Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 08:02 AM

119 posts, read 207,652 times

Advertisements

We're starting to compare vehicles for a future purchase,the Subatu Forester and the VW TDI Wagon.We had a 2002 TDI sedan,great car,it was a lease and it became to small when our daughter was born and we got a mini van.I have a 400 mile per week commute to work,when diesel was cheaper the TDI would have been a clear cut winner for cost but now with diesel .30 more a gallon I don't know.I think the base price for the TDI is $23,000 while the Forester is $20,000.I'd appreciate any input on the two vehicles.Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 08:26 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
The TDi wagon will get double or more the mpg of the Subaru. Reliability wise the Subaru is better though.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:22 AM

635 posts, read 1,166,244 times
Between the two I would go with Subaru Forester in heartbeat since they are such well balanced-well planted drivers and they are still made in Japan (avoid American made Subarus).

Old 04-04-2010, 10:49 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
heres how it breaks down for mpgs of both
2002 VW jetta Wagon TDI
City: 35mpg
Hwy: 45mpg
combined: 39mpg

2002 subaru forrester AWD
city: 19mpg
Hwy: 25mpg
combined: 21mpg
thanks to http://www.fueleconomy.gov/***/sbs.htm (broken link) for the fuel mileage info

Old 04-04-2010, 11:34 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
[quote=KevinE;13589215]Between the two I would go with Subaru Forester in heartbeat since they are such well balanced-well planted drivers and they are still made in Japan (avoid American made Subarus).[/QUOTE]

Would you care to share with us what the problem is with "American made Subarus"?

Every one I've owned has given yeoman service, and my current ones show 235,000 miles and 120,000 miles without anything unusual happening to them. All made in the USA.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:39 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Over the anticipated service life of the two vehicles, you'll be hard pressed to pencil out an advantage to the TDI from a fuel cost/maintenance cost standpoint over the Subie, especially with the substantial price difference for purchase (which means higher sales/ownership taxes and insurance costs from day one).

In average use, I haven't seen a longevity advantage to the TDI VW's, either.

However, both of these cars do make for very nice transportation vehicles ... so if you prefer the TDI's manners and comforts to the Subie's ... then that's the basis of making a decision. As long as you realize that it's not about saving money ....

Old 04-04-2010, 09:27 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
I have a lot of experience with the Forester and some with the current VW wagon.

The main deal I found with VW was the price point once you add a few options, it can add up to a significant amount.

To me the Forester is the class winner against like and similar vehicles and that is pretty much from a driving perspective.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:30 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
I also think that being in NJ, the Forester is a better choice, since it will get you through the winter months without as much fuss. A Jetta can handle winter weather, but not the same way as Subaru's AWD.

If you're not sold on either, I'd also look at a CR-V, where the only detriment is that it can be slow in the acceleration department, but gets slightly better fuel economy than the Subaru. They are incredibly reliable, since I have an in-law who owns one and is perhaps best described as "maintenance-challenged," and has never been left stranded by a CR-V (and they've had 4).

But, between the two you posted, I'd go with a Forester over a Jetta TDI wagon. I have looked at the TDIs lately, since one of my siblings has been considering the same vehicles, and I agree with wanneroo that when you get the options in them, they're not that inexpensive for their class; and, at least in the areas I have looked, you cannot find a baseline spec TDI, since they all have options.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-05-2010, 09:36 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,850,710 times
Depending on when you're going to purchase the Forester may have an improved mileage score in the future. It just depends on how long you have.

This year the Outback/Legacy received a CVT (continuously variable transmission) which jumped their mileage. Good chance that the US export Forester will gain the same during their next "refresh". Someone posted on another site that the 2011 Subies will start arriving in dealerships this summer (that's a rumor, I don't know) so it mightn't be that far off.

I just bought a new Legacy 4 months ago and a good friend has a year old Forester. She was suprised at the differences in the two (not just the visuals-mine is a Limited, hers is a "base"), particularly in the gas mileage.

The sticker for my Legacy shows 25/32 and I've been getting at least that, and mine just turned 4,000 miles last week.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:46 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times
Anecdotal, but I have a friend that purchased a TDI wagon that is about to be Lemon Lawed back to the dealership - he's had it for three months with about a dozen problems total, the recurring issue being the airbag system. He likes the car, but its spent so much time in the shop VW has already made a car payment for him, and every week I see him in a different loaner - I think he's spent more time in loaners than his own car!

Considering Subaru's general reputation for reliability, VW's general reputation for unreliability, and the cost difference, I'd get a Subaru - there's a reason Subaru has about the highest owner loyalty out there. The Forester is the best of its kind and has been for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive