Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 07:11 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times

Advertisements

I live in Alabama, but I don't really notice it being any more dangerous here than anywhere else. I think our biggest problem here is the hard headed people that refuse to wear seatbelts, even though it's required by law.

As for the roads, ours aren't too bad, but as soon as I cross the line into MS they do get worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 07:26 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
I lived in northern WY, close to MT, for several years. I thought the drivers were actually quite good there, especially in the winter. But this was comparing to Massachusetts drivers! Both states have roadways in remote rugged country where it is easy to get into trouble. In winter roads were not well maintained, you were mostly on your own. Most drivers did ok on the highways coated with black ice. They knew to slow down. Out of state drivers not used to the conditions could get into the most trouble.

I think the drivers here in Colorado are terrible!
I've lived in both Colorado and Wyoming. The reason that Colorado drivers are quite often so terrible is because so many of them are transplants from someplace else--many from states where driving in winter conditions or on open 2-lane roads is not part of their driving experience. Simple as that.

In my years of living in Wyoming, I found most of the local drivers to be quite competent--most of them, though, were usually long-time Wyoming residents used to driving in winter conditions and on sparsely traveled two-lane roads. If there was an accident, particularly in winter, on Wyoming roads, there was frequently an out-of-state driver involved.

One thing that has deteriorated severely nationwide is the quality of over-the-road truck drivers. No longer are they always the "Knights of the Road" that they once were. I saw plenty of idiot semi drivers (nearly all from out-of-state) on Wyoming's Interstates that did not have a clue about winter driving, or much else, for that matter. How they got and kept a CDL is a mystery to me. I used to hold the equivalent of a CDL--so I do know the difference between good and bad driving of large trucks.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:44 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,761,938 times
WHen I lived in NH it everyone complained about the "M*******s" on the road. Now that I live in NJ and commute into Pennsylvania everyday I have to say that this area definitely has some of the most dangerous driving ive seen. My wife is from Ma and when we go back up there the drivers seems very safe compared to here.

My biggest pet peeve on why I think its dangerous around here is because it seems that most people here dont realize their cars come equipped with blinkers so they are just swerving all around with no idication of their next move. Then when it rains they act like there is 2 feet of snow on the road. Then when it snows....forget it. Just a mix of really bad drivers around here making it dangerous for everyone.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:33 AM

144 posts, read 270,794 times
Some of the comments in the actual article were quite rude. I'm glad City-Data members have more class.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:51 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
NJ has the worst drivers for a couple of reasons.
Immigrants from Asia who move to NJ in their 30's 40's without any driving experience and immediately are attempting to learn how to drive on the most crowded roads in the US.
NYC natives in their 30's who move to the NJ suburbs and are learning how to drive for the first time.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:06 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
NJ has the worst drivers for a couple of reasons.
Immigrants from Asia who move to NJ in their 30's 40's without any driving experience and immediately are attempting to learn how to drive on the most crowded roads in the US.
NYC natives in their 30's who move to the NJ suburbs and are learning how to drive for the first time.
...and some very crowded city streets with busy intersections as well as many high speed long distance commuting roads with often aggressive drivers and busy lifestyle phone/texters (the Interstates and the Parkway are scary busy and fast sometimes). In addition NJ is a popular "drive-through state" in the densely populated NE, so it gets many occasional visitors unfamiliar with this.

IIRC, NJ is right up there near the top in insurance rates.

As most C-D readers know, statistics can be selected and interpreted in many ways, all true.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:29 AM

9 posts, read 34,870 times
Default Do you get out much?

I travel a lot, all over the world, with great frequency; and I completely disagree with your assessment.

Recently I wrote Governor Bentley requesting he remove all paint stripes from the roads, remove all the stop signs from all intersections, and rescind all requirements for turn signals; because it's clear nobody in Alabama knows or cares about them.

Generally speaking, the very worst drivers I encounter are in Athens, Alabama. There are some pockets in Tennessee where I see the same bad behavior, but Athens, Alabama -- the traffic there and emanating from there -- is consistently the most dangerous. Think about it: I've driven in many third-world countries and found the drivers there at least pay attention! Here in Alabama;

- they refuse to signal
- they drink and drive (at any given time, about 50% of the drivers are DUI(!!!!)
- they refuse to make proper lane changes
- they refuse to maintain their lanes.
- they misuse their lanes
- they tailgate
- they remain almost wholly distracted during commutes
- they ignore stop signs
- they ignore traffic lights

Alabama desperately needs very strict, very strong, very punitive enforcement. The idiots are out of control, and they are EVERYWHERE.

Southernaturelover, you must not get out very much or else you're one of the folks about whom I'm complaining. Things in Alabama are way outta line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I live in Alabama, but I don't really notice it being any more dangerous here than anywhere else. I think our biggest problem here is the hard headed people that refuse to wear seatbelts, even though it's required by law.

As for the roads, ours aren't too bad, but as soon as I cross the line into MS they do get worse.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:17 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
I would've stated the entire I95 corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive