Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 01:36 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times

Advertisements

Florida Tops List of States Mostly Likely to Ticket Drivers for Speeding

Of course, they don't say if the speed limit is appropriate or not. I love this pathetic little gem:

"Speed limits are established because of concrete factors such as engineering studies of the road, studies done on what weather conditions are going to do to that surface, and so if you're exceeding the speed limit, you're really putting yourself and everyone in your vehicle at risk," says Kirsten Olsen-Doolan, spokeswoman for the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor vehicles.

The speed limit is designed to apply in wet conditions, as well, correct? Therefore, in dry conditions, it is perfectly safe to exceed the speed limit slightly. So this revenue generator is simply lying when they say "you're REALLY putting yourself and everyone in your vehicle at risk." Pathetic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 07:09 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Florida Tops List of States Mostly Likely to Ticket Drivers for Speeding

Of course, they don't say if the speed limit is appropriate or not. I love this pathetic little gem:

"Speed limits are established because of concrete factors such as engineering studies of the road, studies done on what weather conditions are going to do to that surface, and so if you're exceeding the speed limit, you're really putting yourself and everyone in your vehicle at risk," says Kirsten Olsen-Doolan, spokeswoman for the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor vehicles.

The speed limit is designed to apply in wet conditions, as well, correct? Therefore, in dry conditions, it is perfectly safe to exceed the speed limit slightly. So this revenue generator is simply lying when they say "you're REALLY putting yourself and everyone in your vehicle at risk." Pathetic!

Why can I now legally and safely drive 75mph on the very same roads where the speed limit used to be 55mph?

Old 12-03-2012, 07:38 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
Honestly I am from Florida.... Everyone speeds, not a little a lot. 45 means 65, 55 means 75, 70 means 85-90.

You can be doing 75-80 in a 55 on the highway and have people passing you at 90+

People in my current location say I drive too fast, and everytime I go back and visit, I forget how nuts the roads are there.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 12-03-2012, 09:05 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Florida has a lot of long boring roads.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:37 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Honestly I am from Florida.... Everyone speeds, not a little a lot. 45 means 65, 55 means 75, 70 means 85-90.

You can be doing 75-80 in a 55 on the highway and have people passing you at 90+

People in my current location say I drive too fast, and everytime I go back and visit, I forget how nuts the roads are there.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

and i thought when i moved to SC that they drove too fast here lol.... i've been on 26, cruising near 80 and get "the look" when someone passes me like i'm some old fart out for a slow Sunday drive...

Old 12-05-2012, 11:50 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Florida (like CA) needs the revenue...

Old 01-03-2013, 12:57 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Default Confessions of a traffic cop

Quote:
Besides speeding, which is the reason for most tickets, what's most likely to get a traffic cop's attention?

Confessions of a traffic cop - Yahoo! Autos

Seatbelts, cell phones, red lights, and stop signs. I concentrate on all the things that can cause an accident. There are some cops who write tickets for expired plates, for having no insurance or registration, but you're not going to crash because of any of that. I focused on safety issues—that's what I like to do.
This article is a pretty good read. I've received one ticket for speeding in 20 years, pleaded guilty {plea agreement} and attended a driver safety course, paid a $120 fine, no mark on my DL if I kept out of trouble for one year, and was not reported to my insurance company if I did the probationary period well.

I think Illinois now has a law that bans cell phone use when driving.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:07 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Florida (like CA) needs the revenue...
Haven't had a speeding ticket in California is 25 years (and I don't poke along and drive all over the state regularly). My rule of thumb is no more than 5 miles over the limit "if" I can help it (meaning if the rest of traffic isn't doing 10-20 over).

Old 01-03-2013, 08:27 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
This article is a pretty good read. I've received one ticket for speeding in 20 years, pleaded guilty {plea agreement} and attended a driver safety course, paid a $120 fine, no mark on my DL if I kept out of trouble for one year, and was not reported to my insurance company if I did the probationary period well.

I think Illinois now has a law that bans cell phone use when driving.
The cop in that article is more reasonable than some people on this forum have been.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:54 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Haven't had a speeding ticket in California is 25 years (and I don't poke along and drive all over the state regularly). My rule of thumb is no more than 5 miles over the limit "if" I can help it (meaning if the rest of traffic isn't doing 10-20 over).
That's a pretty darn good record, congrats! The cops here in my town wrote tickets for 43 in a 35 to quite a few people I knew. I've been pretty lucky in not getting tagged myself, since I'm sometimes going 40 in a 30. But it seems around here, even if you're going 35 in a 30, people are right on your tail.

I don't know where I've heard this, but someone said that a cop won't stop anyone if it's raining, which I found was a myth. My speeding ticket was written when it was pouring. I told the cop I wasn't going any faster than the 18 wheeler I was following, and he claimed he wasn't tracking his speed, just mine.
Fortunately, this was Illinois where they had that program of attending a driver safety class. If it had been Wisconsin, I think it would have been a real ticket.

I usually do 5 over too, but there's times when I catch myself being a lead foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive