Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:48 AM

483 posts, read 1,563,404 times

Advertisements

Your friends sound like posers. And do you really consider an A4 or G25 a "status" car? They're barely higher on the totem pole than your Sonata.

If you have so-called friends who actually mock you for driving an 07 Sonata, then get some new friends. I've driven far worse when I was younger, and none of my friends mocked me or refused to sit in my car. I'll bet your 'friends' also have $700 cellphones and will mock you if you use a $100 model. Would you then buy a new smartphone to keep up with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 09:52 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,591,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
Your friends sound like posers. And do you really consider an A4 or G25 a "status" car? They're barely higher on the totem pole than your Sonata.

If you have so-called friends who actually mock you for driving an 07 Sonata, then get some new friends. I've driven far worse when I was younger, and none of my friends mocked me or refused to sit in my car. I'll bet your 'friends' also have $700 cellphones and will mock you if you use a $100 model. Would you then buy a new smartphone to keep up with them?
So funny you bring up the cell phone thing.
I was teased and mocked for YEARS at work because of my cell phone (a perfectly fine phone that texted, took pictures, etc). YEARS. What the hell is wrong with people? If you're not dropping 500 bucks for the latest icrap or ipoop or whatever the hell every five seconds, they get all up in your shizzle. My SLVR lasted me for almost 6 years and was a BETTER phone in many respects because it worked on the EDGE network (which was not over-saturated, so I ALWAYS got a signal while the iphone tools were always dropping their calls).

So people make fun of you for having a better phone...because it costs less? WTF? What is wrong with people?

I have never made fun of someone's car or phone or clothes or watch or whatever. These are personal items and if someone is perfectly happy with what they have and it functions well, who the hell cares?!!!

Old 06-15-2012, 10:00 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,510,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
So I have been thinking about getting new luxury car for the main reason of satisfying my standing among other people. Right now my 2007 Hyundai Sonata run just fine and honestly I do not need a new car at all.

However, there some friend who tend make fun of me for driving it. Most people I hang around with own BMWs, Lexus, Acuras, and other high end sports cars. In fact, at work lot people also drive pricey cars. Even got a joke once someone would not want get ride in my car since they don't want to be seen in a Hyundai!

Lot of my friend have been encouraging me to an expensive car since I can afford it. Supposedly, it will approval my social standing great and even help out in picking up girls.

So I have been looking around at luxury cars and thinking about picking one up. The Audi A4 or Infinite G25 both look pretty good to me. I would definitely would nice to own luxury car since I haven't down one. They pretty cool features and drive a lot better than my current car.

Like I said I do have money to spend on one. I have a feeling I might get buyers regret for spending so much $$$ on darn car after buying it. I need seriously think about buying it since main reason for me get one would be "improve my social standing" as I have heard. Has buying expensive cars actually increased any of your guys social standing? Do you think buying a luxury car for this reason is good idea?
It gets kind of hard to measure up to Rothschild's,
Rockefellers, Kennedys, and other Billionaires. ...

They will never like you, ...
they only like how they can control you,
And your stuff won't make there things look junky. ...

Find some real friends. ...

Old 06-15-2012, 10:13 AM

310 posts, read 1,028,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Wow, way to cave in to pier pressure!
Well whatever floats your boat, right SAILORDave? lol

Old 06-15-2012, 10:14 AM

310 posts, read 1,028,296 times
Also OP, if you want to look rich, buy an f-150. The most commonly driven vehicle by Millionaire's is a Ford F150 Pickup Truck according to the book Millionaire Next door.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:27 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,280,853 times
Since the OP is in Texas, I think he should buy a Ford F150 Ecoboost short bed crew cab truck. All women in Texas are accustomed to seeing men of all stature driving trucks. Choose either the Lariat or King Ranch trim levels. You can get almost any gadget you want in these trucks. And you will be popular when your friends with BMWs need help carrying their new large screen TV home.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:34 AM

674 posts, read 3,099,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So funny you bring up the cell phone thing.
I was teased and mocked for YEARS at work because of my cell phone (a perfectly fine phone that texted, took pictures, etc). YEARS. What the hell is wrong with people? If you're not dropping 500 bucks for the latest icrap or ipoop or whatever the hell every five seconds, they get all up in your shizzle. My SLVR lasted me for almost 6 years and was a BETTER phone in many respects because it worked on the EDGE network (which was not over-saturated, so I ALWAYS got a signal while the iphone tools were always dropping their calls).

So people make fun of you for having a better phone...because it costs less? WTF? What is wrong with people?

I have never made fun of someone's car or phone or clothes or watch or whatever. These are personal items and if someone is perfectly happy with what they have and it functions well, who the hell cares?!!!
Oh interesting you guys brought up the phone, I have heard about that lot too. I will in fact admit about 1 year ago I broke down and bought lastest coolest smart phone. Now I am paying like $45 per month extra on top of the $250 initial cost. Funny thing is, I am pretty addicted to the smartphone. Wouldn't like go back to having regular phone again. Maybe, the people were right and I needed smartphone!

People can be picky about a lot of things. From cars, cell phones, to where you live. I actually already bought a nice house too, though I am planning on selling it! Also got comment on how you look, clothes you wear, shoes, etc. It is like you need have certain things and dress a certain way just to fit in!

I think main reason I am getting a hard time is that I am trying to fit into a more upscale crowd. A lot of them hang around uptown in Dallas, the cool rich people area supposedly. They are used to spending a lot of money on dinner, one guy was even bragging about $200-300 he spent on a date in 5 star restaurant! I guess that is what it takes to impress girls they like. I know one guy from work has 0 savings, but a lot of debt to keep up with high end apartment and what not.

I will admit keeping up with them will make me go broke! Which why I am seriously doubting the purchase of any new car. Probably at this point, from the responses, I think I will skip buying car and just deal with crap I get from people!

Last edited by unseengundam; 06-15-2012 at 10:44 AM..

Old 06-15-2012, 10:36 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,330,256 times
The secret to happiness? Don't give a rip what people think of you.

I could have bought a $65,000 Audi. I bought a $22,000 Jeep instead, at 0% interest which means I get to play with Chrysler's money. I am happy every time I write the payment check.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:28 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,499,362 times
The key with anything is self confidence. If you drive a Hyundai because it meets your needs, so what? Your "friends" are mocking you because there is some other aspect about you that makes them insecure. I have never understood the need to mock those who are different from you, and a true friend would not care what you drive, provided it gets you safely from point A to point B. I know the areas of which you speak, as I have family in Highland Park and Preston, so have spent time in/around Dallas. There's a lot of the nouveau riche mentality in the city, but older line "real" money will drive a pick up, or whatever else suits their needs, not what people say that they should be driving.

If you like the Hyundai, keep it. And, when they mention something, just say "Hey, I'm open to a new car if you'd like to give me one." If they're not paying your bills, then they have absolutely no right to dictate what you drive. And, do you really want to attract a shallow woman who would only date you for your car? Find a lady, someone who has the same substance that you do, rather than waste time spending to keep up appearances. Buy a luxury house before a luxury car, as Dallas traffic puts a lot of wear and tear on anything. Oh, and one of my relatives in Highland Park, drives a Honda Accord (4-cylinder) for that very reason, because the vehicle is expendable, yet meets their transportation needs.

When you want a newer car, for you, then you can see what's on the market and what you would like to own. I don't get the sense that you want to replace the car, but are being pressured for being different.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-15-2012, 11:34 AM

45,686 posts, read 61,102,971 times
I need a new truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive