Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 12:32 PM

328 posts, read 999,742 times

Advertisements

OP, this just sounds like your friends wanting you to be as up to your eyeballs in debt as they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 01:27 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,244,877 times
Sounds like you have sh*tty friends and need to work on your skills with the ladies. I can pick up more chicks riding my bicycle than some douchebag in a high end car. And yes, you are automatically a douchebag if you are convinced that material items are the way to pick up women! As for your friends, they suck... find some new ones.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:47 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,723,449 times
Quote:
People can be picky about a lot of things. From cars, cell phones, to where you live. I actually already bought a nice house too, though I am planning on selling it! Also got comment on how you look, clothes you wear, shoes, etc. It is like you need have certain things and dress a certain way just to fit in!

I think main reason I am getting a hard time is that I am trying to fit into a more upscale crowd. A lot of them hang around uptown in Dallas, the cool rich people area supposedly. They are used to spending a lot of money on dinner, one guy was even bragging about $200-300 he spent on a date in 5 star restaurant! I guess that is what it takes to impress girls they like. I know one guy from work has 0 savings, but a lot of debt to keep up with high end apartment and what not.
The same problem you have in Dallas is also rampant in the area where I live- Scottsdale, AZ. The posers, $30K/ year millionaires, and sleazy Jersey-Shore type all permeate the bar scene on a Friday and Saturday night in downtown Scottsdale. I try to avoid it like the plague, always have. In college of course I loved going out and enjoying myself but that was with a poorer crowd on Mill Ave. in Tempe.

I've tried to distance myself from a few "friends" who constantly want to go to the bar, pick up women, spend foolishly, and then complain how broke they are. One of them makes at least $80K/ year as a CPA yet he can't control his own spending habits because he always wants to "show off" his wealth- a few months ago he was even having trouble making the payment on his 5 Series.

These type of people will be with you when you're in the green and paying for rounds/shots/etc but will be gone as soon as the cash flow disappears. Trying to spend an outlandish amount of money to impress them is incredibly immature and idiotic. Don't ever give in to peer pressure, it's a one-way road to disaster.

I still enjoy going out once in a while but I'm not throwing my money around when I do it. I'd much rather save my cash for "toys" and my eventual retirement in 20-30 years than I would on $10 drinks.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:47 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,288,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Oh interesting you guys brought up the phone, I have heard about that lot too. I will in fact admit about 1 year ago I broke down and bought lastest coolest smart phone. Now I am paying like $45 per month extra on top of the $250 initial cost. Funny thing is, I am pretty addicted to the smartphone. Wouldn't like go back to having regular phone again. Maybe, the people were right and I needed smartphone!

People can be picky about a lot of things. From cars, cell phones, to where you live. I actually already bought a nice house too, though I am planning on selling it! Also got comment on how you look, clothes you wear, shoes, etc. It is like you need have certain things and dress a certain way just to fit in!

I think main reason I am getting a hard time is that I am trying to fit into a more upscale crowd. A lot of them hang around uptown in Dallas, the cool rich people area supposedly. They are used to spending a lot of money on dinner, one guy was even bragging about $200-300 he spent on a date in 5 star restaurant! I guess that is what it takes to impress girls they like. I know one guy from work has 0 savings, but a lot of debt to keep up with high end apartment and what not.

I will admit keeping up with them will make me go broke! Which why I am seriously doubting the purchase of any new car. Probably at this point, from the responses, I think I will skip buying car and just deal with crap I get from people!
It is an older book, but it made an impression on me when I was younger and more easily swayed by other's opinions. The book is "The Millionaire Next Door". It is worthwhile reading. Find friends through a hobby or sport instead of a false inspiration. PS. Is your car paid for? The friends giving you crap, are they still making payments? It is a depreciating asset.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:03 PM

673 posts, read 3,095,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
The same problem you have in Dallas is also rampant in the area where I live- Scottsdale, AZ. The posers, $30K/ year millionaires, and sleazy Jersey-Shore type all permeate the bar scene on a Friday and Saturday night in downtown Scottsdale. I try to avoid it like the plague, always have. In college of course I loved going out and enjoying myself but that was with a poorer crowd on Mill Ave. in Tempe.

I've tried to distance myself from a few "friends" who constantly want to go to the bar, pick up women, spend foolishly, and then complain how broke they are. One of them makes at least $80K/ year as a CPA yet he can't control his own spending habits because he always wants to "show off" his wealth- a few months ago he was even having trouble making the payment on his 5 Series.

These type of people will be with you when you're in the green and paying for rounds/shots/etc but will be gone as soon as the cash flow disappears. Trying to spend an outlandish amount of money to impress them is incredibly immature and idiotic. Don't ever give in to peer pressure, it's a one-way road to disaster.

I still enjoy going out once in a while but I'm not throwing my money around when I do it. I'd much rather save my cash for "toys" and my eventual retirement in 20-30 years than I would on $10 drinks.
Sounds like you figured how to happy yourself instead of spending away! I used save a lot of money, but these I have been spending a lot just to have fun going out. I actually find it hard to thing where go outside house that won't cost money and I actually meet people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
It is an older book, but it made an impression on me when I was younger and more easily swayed by other's opinions. The book is "The Millionaire Next Door". It is worthwhile reading. Find friends through a hobby or sport instead of a false inspiration. PS. Is your car paid for? The friends giving you crap, are they still making payments? It is a depreciating asset.
I actually have heard the "The Millionaire Next Door" and yes my car is paid off. I just don't think I have skills/patience to keep up with the "The Millionaire Next Door" ideas.

Honestly, it would nice to find people who aren't as stuck up about money. Not sure where to find them since probably aren't in area of city I live or work in. Like I know some people who play together on sports team and they all talk about how it is drive their since sports into parking lot together to turn heads!

Old 06-15-2012, 02:11 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,509,466 times
Quote:
So I have been thinking about getting new luxury car for the main reason of satisfying my standing among other people. Right now my 2007 Hyundai Sonata run just fine and honestly I do not need a new car at all.

However, there some friend who tend make fun of me for driving it. Most people I hang around with own BMWs, Lexus, Acuras, and other high end sports cars. In fact, at work lot people also drive pricey cars. Even got a joke once someone would not want get ride in my car since they don't want to be seen in a Hyundai!

Lot of my friend have been encouraging me to an expensive car since I can afford it. Supposedly, it will approval my social standing great and even help out in picking up girls.

So I have been looking around at luxury cars and thinking about picking one up. The Audi A4 or Infinite G25 both look pretty good to me. I would definitely would nice to own luxury car since I haven't down one. They pretty cool features and drive a lot better than my current car.

Like I said I do have money to spend on one. I have a feeling I might get buyers regret for spending so much $$$ on darn car after buying it. I need seriously think about buying it since main reason for me get one would be "improve my social standing" as I have heard. Has buying expensive cars actually increased any of your guys social standing? Do you think buying a luxury car for this reason is good idea?
You psychologists can analyze endlessly but I tend to have a propensity to NOT want to follow the crowd. I see luxury cars parked in my office parking lot every day and it gives me even more reason to drive a cheap low-maintenance beater to work everyday.

You can even downsize your car just for kicks.

Think that young 20-something year old chick you're picking up will be impressed with your car? Think again!

But if you don't care, why bother getting another car?

Old 06-15-2012, 02:12 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,723,449 times
Quote:
Sounds like you figured how to happy yourself instead of spending away! I used save a lot of money, but these I have been spending a lot just to have fun going out. I actually find it hard to thing where go outside house that won't cost money and I actually meet people.
The mall? You don't NEED to spend money and I'm in love with the Galleria and NorthPark. What about going to the park? Have a dog? I know Dallas has TONS of outdoor activities, my brother lives in a suburb of Dallas and he's always talking about different events he went to. Whenever I go to visit him, it seems we're always on the go doing something or another and I never remember things being terribly expensive unless we went to some of the finer restaurant.

I spend money but I spend it on things that I, MYSELF, receive enjoyment from. I have a sports car and a boat; almost every weekend in the summer, I flee the Phoenix area to hang out on the boat with friends/family in Lake Havasu. It's my stress relief time when I can just relax, clear my head, and have a few drinks with some TRUE friends who I've known for ages. Not exactly cheap to do but I do it because of my own personal desires, not to show off to anyone else.

Do things for you own enjoyment in life, don't worry about what people think.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:17 PM

8,595 posts, read 11,028,718 times
So here we are, five pages into this thread, and the reality of the situation is, when Monday morning comes, the OP finds himself right back where he started.
He drives his Hyundai back to work, his "friends" (and I use that term rather loosely) pick on him for driving it, and once again he has a decision to make.
So what advice do I have for him?
Simple, and can sum it up in a short paragraph.
I recently started lifting weights again at age 73, because I wanted to buff up slightly.
Well, I got into a little physical trouble for doing it, and the doctor asked me why, at 73 would I be lifting weights, and who was I trying to impress.
I answered with the only logical and truthful response.
I simply answered, Me.
I am not out to impress any one, and what ever I do, is with ME in mind.
I would offer The same to the OP.
If you need to impress any one, it should be yourself first, and no one else.
When one is more confident with themselves, then that shows through to those around you.
Many people, especially young ones, need that all important crutch to "fit in".
What they fail to understand is, they can find that crutch within themselves.
They only think they need material things to "fit in".
I would say to the OP, adjust your thinking, and attitude, and you will find it will take you where you need to be..
Don't rely on some 4-wheeled pile of manufactured grief to put you on top.
You can only reach the top by looking within, and trust me here, you will like the view.
Bob.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:36 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,579,692 times
^^^Agree 100% with this; as the late great Rick Nelson mused so well in his 1972 smash 'Garden Party', 'Ya can't please everyone so ya gotta please yourself.'

Methinks Rick summed it up exceedingly well, don't you?

I think going into debt to buy a snazzy car in order to impress others is nuts and downright pointless.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:50 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,281,553 times
Quote:
and even help out in picking up girls.
Ya, can we say Gold Digger?

Anyhow, I believe ones vehicle should fit their personality...not what's socially exceptiable. I drive a Ford Raptor, not because I can't aford a high end import but because the Raptor fits my personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive