Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:35 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

I'll tell you why Audi is not as popular around here as BMW and Mercedes.

Their dealership is awful. Awful service. Awful interaction. I keep hearing that over and over from people. I have never been there, but I know I won't go.

As for which is best amongst the three...I'd go with BMW. Mercedes seems in the midst of a slow downhill slide in quality.

The Audis also have a real design issue...outside of the R8, the cars are fugly and featureless and not distinctive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 09:56 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
The Lexus cars are of the finest quality, observe ;
Not really a fan. What parts bin did they pull all those buttons from? No attention to the details, very disappointing in a car costing north of a hundred grand.

You can't really get a true sense for it from a picture, but Mercedes doesn't put a bunch of cheap plastic parts-bin specials in for its buttons. The quality of the wood trim is much higher. I'm not really into cars looking like boardrooms, but for those who are I'm sure that's a consideration. It uses aluminum instead of extensive amounts of chromaplastic trim.

Don't get me wrong, the Lexus aint bad, it's just doesn't fair well when stacked against the interior of a S600. It doesn't perform well either. Why spend all that extra money on a hybrid that drives worse and gets no better mileage? Of course, you've got the cost factor. The S600 costs a lot more than the LS600, but it's a better car. And you can just as easily go the other way with the $60k Hyundai. Not up to LS snuff, but it costs a lot less.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Not really a fan. What parts bin did they pull all those buttons from? No attention to the details, very disappointing in a car costing north of a hundred grand.

You can't really get a true sense for it from a picture, but Mercedes doesn't put a bunch of cheap plastic parts-bin specials in for its buttons. The quality of the wood trim is much higher. I'm not really into cars looking like boardrooms, but for those who are I'm sure that's a consideration. It uses aluminum instead of extensive amounts of chromaplastic trim.

Don't get me wrong, the Lexus aint bad, it's just doesn't fair well when stacked against the interior of a S600. It doesn't perform well either. Why spend all that extra money on a hybrid that drives worse and gets no better mileage? Of course, you've got the cost factor. The S600 costs a lot more than the LS600, but it's a better car. And you can just as easily go the other way with the $60k Hyundai. Not up to LS snuff, but it costs a lot less.
Yes, compared to the EXPENSIVE S600, the Lexus is not going to compare.

But you know what cars I was comparing when looking for a second car for my parents? E Class Mercedes. I figured C class would be a joke but at least E class interior would be nice. Oh, no...that sh*t was ready to fall off the door panel. It was awful. I wound up buying them a Lexus. That felt quality. That felt like it would last.

I also went and looked at some of the more expensive used Mercedes (2009, 2010)...beat to SH*T on the interior. Looked god-awful. And little things were not working. Like the shade in the back, sensors, etc.

Mercedes has had its day.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:28 AM

122 posts, read 260,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Remember this, Mercedes is, in Europe, simply a large full line automaker. They have economy cars and large tractor trailer trucks, and everything in between, and then some.

lol in Turkey they are used as public transportation buses:

Old 06-10-2012, 10:37 AM

Yup. It costs an arm and a leg to keep 'em running, unreliable and overly complicated. The S class is really the only Mercedez that does anything for me. Lexus doesn't get how to make opulent vehicles, which is why they turned out the LS600. It's a nice vehicle, but it's just not there. Of course, the reality is there's a lot more people who just want a nice vehicle than want to put up with and pay for an S550 or S600. Mercedez used to have that "you've made it appeal" and really don't to me anymore, except for the S-class.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:39 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
LOL, pretty soon you guys will be on here telling us that they upscale KIA and Hyundia are better than BMW's and Benz's. And I still won't believe you.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
LOL, pretty soon you guys will be on here telling us that they upscale KIA and Hyundia are better than BMW's and Benz's. And I still won't believe you.
Go sit in an Equus and then a C-class. There's no pretty soon about it, and it's irrelevant whether the dyed in the wool fanboi believes reality or not. Over the model range, no, but the upscale Hyunais are already more upscale than the entry-level Mercedes.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think it's more that every Mercedes isn't the same.
You can't just buy Mercedes and think, "I'm getting quality!"
There is clearly a range with their cars.
That's the only point I am trying to make.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 1,107 times
I lost him on Atlanta Road appearing pretty much along the way to work

Old 11-03-2017, 06:44 AM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'll tell you why Audi is not as popular around here as BMW and Mercedes.

Their dealership is awful. Awful service. Awful interaction. I keep hearing that over and over from people. I have never been there, but I know I won't go.

As for which is best amongst the three...I'd go with BMW. Mercedes seems in the midst of a slow downhill slide in quality.

The Audis also have a real design issue...outside of the R8, the cars are fugly and featureless and not distinctive.
Honestly I have bought all three brands new, MB got 2 of my cars back through lemon law. The BMW's are fine, no issues but I will say the interiors are so plain it honestly is a negative for me. The Audi products have leaped forward passed the other two. I will agree the grill designs on the Audi and Lexus products is not great but the rest of the cars are nice. Color can also affect how bad the grill looks, white exterior with a black grill shows a lot worse than a black car with a black grill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive