Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 02:54 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,154,951 times

Advertisements

Well, is there no stopping VW?

BBC News - Volkswagen agrees to buy rest of Porsche for $5.6bn

Quote:
Volkswagen says it has agreed a deal to buy the remaining 50.1% stake in Porsche it doesn't already own by the start of next month.
VW will pay 4.46bn euros ($5.6bn; £3.6bn) plus one VW common share to acquire the stake.
The two firms had agreed in 2009 to merge by the end of 2011, but have since faced legal obstacles.
The deal is likely to reduce costs and boost VW's earnings as it seeks to become the world's biggest carmaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 05:21 AM

990 posts, read 2,558,600 times
And, so it ends for Porsche....

A sad day indeed.

Looks like I'll have to keep my pre-craptastic going as long as I can.

I will NEVER buy a V.W. built Porsche.

Got screwed too bad on the Touareg.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:55 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
And, so it ends for Porsche....

A sad day indeed.

Looks like I'll have to keep my pre-craptastic going as long as I can.

I will NEVER buy a V.W. built Porsche.

Got screwed too bad on the Touareg.

I'm sorry, but you're basing your opinion of an entire brand of automobile on, probably, their worst model (the Toe-rag).

VWs in general are very nice, and it's not the fault of buying a bad model to discredit an entire brand.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:59 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,146,302 times
I guess will see a lot more Porsches with perpetual check engine lights and broken window regulators.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:20 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,021,827 times
That whole deal was a hostile takeover gone terribly wrong from the Porsche perspective back in 09, seems to have worked out pretty well for VW. I know a joint venture project was mentioned a couple years ago called the VW Bluesport, which was supposed to share common architecture with an upcoming, affordable, mid engined porsche that would lie somewhere below the Boxster in terms of entry level. I was really hoping to see that car built, and i'm sure finilalizing this takeover might make that a reality...but only if the car gods can align.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:18 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,334,499 times
I would not be too afraid of this. Volkswagen will not be that stupid to crap up a brand like Porsche, its a good cash cow and a lot of good engineering for the whole enterprise could be done there.

Anybody knows that VW and Porsche are working together for very many years? Porsche 914 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Porsche Cayenne also shares lots of parts with the Audi Q7 or VW Touareg. And the Porsche Panamera is also avaliable with a VW/Audi Diesel engine.

I think Volkswagen does a good job with their company expansion. It does not necessairly means Porsches are to be built by VW with VW quality (which for american/mexican models might indeed be not the best). Remeber Audi is also a VW company, and still delivers great cars.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:48 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,154,951 times
Where are VWs that are sold in the US built, is it usually the US and Mexico?

I only ask as the ones on sale in the UK are built in Europe with most still assembled in Germany and they have a very good reputation for build quality and reliability. Reading the above posts i get the impression that that isn't the case in the US.

I don't believe that VW will tinker with Porsche too much, the buyout of Lamborghini didn't do that company any harm, the still have the same engineering and design teams, they now just have a better quality parts bin.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:57 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,334,499 times
Not sure if every single model sold here is built in the U.S. or Mexico, but most of them are.

Quote:
I only ask as the ones on sale in the UK are built in Europe with most still assembled in Germany and they have a very good reputation for build quality and reliability. Reading the above posts i get the impression that that isn't the case in the US.
The problem is that VW has identified (true or false? I don't really know) the U.S. markets demands larger cars for lower prices compared to the European market. (Jetta starts at about $16k including 2,5l engine, automatic etc.) This can simply only work with low quality. They could build the Jetta or Passat with the same quality as they do in Germany, but then the Jetta would come at at least $25k-28k and nobody would buy it.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:01 AM

990 posts, read 2,558,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
I'm sorry, but you're basing your opinion of an entire brand of automobile on, probably, their worst model (the Toe-rag).

VWs in general are very nice, and it's not the fault of buying a bad model to discredit an entire brand.

No, actually my opinion is based on the $20,000 it took to walk away from that P.O.S..

Funny, when they sold it to me, they said it was a good car.

Apparently, someone lied.

BTW, just for details, it was purchased new for over $40k.

Broke down approx. every 2 weeks...not an exaggeration.

Took the hit...bought a Mercedes Benz, and never looked back. 7 years, nearly 100k miles and ZERO problems.

Now V.W. wants me to risk even more money on a new Porsche....I don't think so!

Back to B.M.W. or Mercedes Benz for me.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:43 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
Irony. Mr. Porche created the vehicle that would become the VW Beatle and now VW owns Porche. Does this mean we may one day see the return of the rear engine Beatle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive