Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 03:58 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,695,036 times

Advertisements

I bought a Toyota Yaris L a few months ago. It does not come with bluetooth tech. what is bluetooth tech? is that like the Jupiter Jack that Billy Mays advertised on TV where you plug it into your phone, turn the phone on, dial the radio station to 99.3 FM and you can hear who is on the other end thru your car speakers? what would i get with bluetooth in a more deluxe Yaris? Not that i need it but i am not thoroughly up on latest tech stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 04:10 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,091,753 times
My car came installed with Bluetooth. Bluetooth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Once the phone is paired to your car, when a phone calls come in, my car radio/DVD system pauses and the call is taken over the speakers in my car. The same happens when I make a phone call, the sound system pauses and the phone is connected. If you don't want the phone conversation to be heard by everyone, there is an option on my phone to take the call "privately" while driving. However, if you get to your destination and want to disconnect the Bluetooth connection, I have to press the transfer call on my car's navigation screen otherwise when I turn off the car - I disconnect the phone call.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:13 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,006,305 times
There is nothing to plug in with blue tooth, you pair your phone with the car, and you can talk hands free and hear the person you're talking to over the stereo speakers. In my case (2011 Charger) I also get my complete address book displayed on the 8.4" screen, and can initiate calls with either voice command or using buttons on the steering wheel. You can also stream music or internet audio (like Pandora) from the phone over the speakers.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:43 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,695,036 times
for someone who would dread driving while talking on the phone, this is overwhelming to hear!!

Old 07-25-2012, 04:54 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,100,903 times
My car is equipped with bluetooth as well although my call will automatically transfer back to the phone once the car is off and from the phone into the stereo once I start the car. The microsphone is located in the headliner above my head like most vehicles. It also has the added benefit of allowing me to play music directly from my phone to my car stereo wirelessly which is a feature I use more often.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:04 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,006,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
for someone who would dread driving while talking on the phone, this is overwhelming to hear!!
I talk very little on my phone to begin with, so I don't use mine much, but it's nice to see the incoming caller ID on the Car's LCD, and be able to answer and hang up with the push of a button on the steering wheel.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:16 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,035,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
I bought a Toyota Yaris L a few months ago. It does not come with bluetooth tech. what is bluetooth tech? is that like the Jupiter Jack that Billy Mays advertised on TV where you plug it into your phone, turn the phone on, dial the radio station to 99.3 FM and you can hear who is on the other end thru your car speakers? what would i get with bluetooth in a more deluxe Yaris? Not that i need it but i am not thoroughly up on latest tech stuff
Bluetooth allows your phone calls to go through the speakers in your car, once your phone is synced with your car.

If you ask me, you're not missing much. I don't like to talk on the phone when I'm driving (hands-free, or otherwise), so, even when I had my car's Bluetooth synced to my phone, I'd still pull over to talk. Even with my car windows up, people said I sounded like I was talking in a tunnel (in more than one car I've had with Bluetooth). I've been on the receiving end of a Bluetooth call, too, and had the same poor sound quality issue. With my current car, I didn't even bother syncing them.

Also, keep in mind that when you're on a Bluetooth call, everyone in your car can hear your conversation (not that I have anything to hide, but you have to remember to tell your caller that someone else is in the car with you so they don't accidentally say something personal, etc.) So, like I said, to me, Bluetooth is over-rated, and you're not missing much.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:09 PM

4,214 posts, read 3,763,837 times
Not a fan of bluetooth. I dont talk on my phone often enough to sync it. Like sunnytxsmile said, the clarity is not all that on the receiving end, at least with my experience anyway. Hands free in my opinion is the answer to people who dont want to get pulled over for holding a cell in their hands. The act of talking on the phone is what is distracting, not holding one. Bluetooth is not an option I look for in a car.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:14 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,935,079 times
If you want Bluetooth in that Yaris, look at the Motorola Roadster. It links to your Bluetooth cell phone and can work as an auxiliary speaker. You can program it to come out of any FM radio including the one in your car. You can program it to turn text into voice as well. If you have voice activated calling, it handles that too. About 50 bucks and clips to the sunvisor. Comes with a charging cord and with daily use will last about 10 days-2 weeks. I have 2 of them and love 'em. True hands free, just like talking with somebody in the car.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:51 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,021,827 times
My new 12' Jetta TDI has bluetooth connectivity and I'm loving it. As stated, it allows you to play music through your radio using your cell, as well as providing hands free dialing of stored phone numbers, call answering, etc. Folks who I've talked to using the device say the clarity is pretty impressive, and the name recognition software works pretty flawlessly too. The pairing process took me all of 4 minutes, and I set my phone to automatically accept bluetooth connectivity with the car, so every time I get in the car, the phone pairs up automatically and you can begin using the feature as soon as the vehicle is running. Just set it and forget it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive