Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 12:02 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,876 times

Advertisements

I'm getting a truck real soon and I know I want a 4x4 and bed of atleast 6'.

I don't need a truck for towing anything of significance (only occasional trailer or very small boat or furniture or lumber).

I don't think I need an F150 or Tundra or Silverado (30,000), I rather not unnecessary pay much for gas. I'm not very fond of the big double cabs or Honda Ridgeline for instance, those seem more like a family SUV to me.

I may get a new model or may get a 2nd hand model, like 2010. Many smaller trucks are no longer in production. Are American trucks as dependable as Japanese?

I know a man with a 1994 ford work truck with 200,000 miles but I'm not sure how much repair work he did over its lifetime.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 12:33 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
The F-150 is probably the best all-around pickup option available. They have a great track record in reliability going back for decades, incredible availability in the used market, fuel economy is comparable to most small trucks and better than most trucks in its class (depending on year/model) and parts are as cheap as they come. If was into medium duty gasoline trucks I would have went with an F150 without question.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:38 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
You'll spend a LOT more on a Japanese truck, especially used, than you will on an American truck. Check the MPG; you'll find that midsize trucks don't get much better MPG than full size trucks.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:39 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
American hands down.

Since you're not looking for something huge or double cab, maybe you can look into a Ford Ranger.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:43 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I'm getting a truck real soon and I know I want a 4x4 and bed of atleast 6'.

I don't need a truck for towing anything of significance (only occasional trailer or very small boat or furniture or lumber).

I don't think I need an F150 or Tundra or Silverado (30,000), I rather not unnecessary pay much for gas. I'm not very fond of the big double cabs or Honda Ridgeline for instance, those seem more like a family SUV to me.

I may get a new model or may get a 2nd hand model, like 2010. Many smaller trucks are no longer in production. Are American trucks as dependable as Japanese?

I know a man with a 1994 ford work truck with 200,000 miles but I'm not sure how much repair work he did over its lifetime.
So you want a 4X4 pickup with at least a 6' box...WHY?!

You don't want a crew cab, you don't want to pay for the gas, and you aren't going to tow or haul anything often? Why not just buy a sedan...it seems to me you're probably going to regret buying a truck in the end anyway.

The F-150 and Silverado are the two best-selling trucks in America for good reason; they can take abuse, handle heavy loads, and keep on running with very little maintenance. Both are good trucks but neither are particularly small nor fuel efficient unless you get the V6 engines which you probably won't want to do if you're getting a 4X4 version with a 6.5" box.

I have a 2010 F-150 Crew Cab and love it but it sucks down gas like nothing. Filling up my tank will run anywhere from $100 to $130 depending how low I am on fuel. Coupled with getting 15 mpg on the highway (less in the city) and a truck doesn't look like an attractive proposition unless you really NEED one.

I think you need to reevaluate if you really NEED a truck or simply want one. Are you ready to pay $100+ each time you fill up? Insurance on new trucks isn't particularly cheap either.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:00 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Look a Ford F150. Honestly , an 11 with eco-boost would be the way to go. If you go with midsize, the economy is not any better than a half ton.

FWIW I have an 05 F150 2 wheeled drive with a v6, I can get anywhere from 22 to 17 MPG. 17 is more when I am hauling and in town. I put a lot of highway miles on.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:06 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
When I faced this question myself (2003), I picked a Toyota (used). The reasons were that for the price I was paying, I could NOT find another branded truck that was any better for the price. Some were a couple years newer, or had a couple thousand less miles, but nothing substantial. Then I started looking at what I *NEEDED* out of a truck, and realized I didn't NEED a 'full size', but I did need something that I could fit in at a 6'4" individual. I also had prior history with America products that were.. well, abysmal. Terrible reliability, expensive to operate per-mile, just giant holes that were always needing money. So I decided on a Toyota T100 extended cab 4x4. Fits all my needs, and I've used it right up to its limits a couple of times. I have NEVER wished for more out of the truck, and I like seeing 25mpg highway fuel economy, even with the truck now being close to 15 years old and with 180k miles. I'm really glad that it's not a full sized truck every time I drive it into a city and look for parking. It's no compact car, but having driven full sized trucks for work, even the Slight difference in size is appreciated.

Zero reliability issues. Not one single, solitary break-down or unexpected service visit. Well, I take that back, the battery died on me after 7 years of owning the truck and even Knowing that it was failing, I pushed it till the thing just went totally flat. I probably have less than $400 in "service" work AND parts, combined, spent on this Japanese truck in the last decade.

For me, it was the perfect truck. Heck, it still IS the perfect truck. I don't see anything else out there that could replace it and do a better job. Doesn't mean that it'd be the right choice for you (or anyone else), just that if you really think about what you Need vs what you Want, you can end up with a vehicle that's a great fit. For your limited towing/hauling needs, my VW Jetta and a small utility trailer would do the job perfectly (tow rating of 3000lbs, class II). Plus, smaller so easier to park, 50mpg (diesel), Way better ride than any truck will ever accomplish. You may find that you only "need" something that can tow a little trailer.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:11 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,927 times
I agree with Brian M.
The T-100 was the best truck ever made (who would have guessed?)
(actually looks like this emoticon)
As it turns out the size is damn near perfect. Bigger than midsize, smaller than fullsize. Performs like a car. Built in Japan. Very low maintenance.

If you want something newer, consider a Tacoma or frontier, both have 6' bed options if you don't want a crew cab.
The detroit brands are not the same. Come to think of it, not even the other import brands are the same. Toyota is as good as they come but not even toyos are as good as they used to be and they're crazy expensive. But you get what you pay for. I'll leave it at that.

Every once in a while someone will offer me money for my t-100 (which is beat all to hell and is a DX - base model) and I tell them they'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:13 PM

31,035 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Full size Chevy or Ford Standard cab 2wd is a best bang for your buck truck from my experience. I buy a lot of trucks and have had Chevy, Ford and Toyota Trucks over the last 20 years. In my opinion the mid size trucks aren't worth it for the savings, price or mileage compared with a full size. The Toyotas are good but are really overpriced unless you somehow find one cheap. The Nissans low price on used trucks is indicative of their desireability and Everyone I know whose owned one has come back to a Ford or Chevy. I can't comment on the Chryslers as I have no recent experience with them.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:54 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,816,775 times
Who else builds a truck other than Ford, Dodge or Chevy?

I don't know any..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive