Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 10:26 AM

818 posts, read 1,017,629 times

Advertisements

I like Chevy trucks but the new ones have no character and look boxy with no aerodynamics. They are probably decent trucks but not sure what they were thinking when they decided to use that design.

The new Corvettes look better but the rear end looks like new Camaro too much. Seems GM has lost its direction in the styling department to me. Not good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 10:50 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
I like Chevy trucks but the new ones have no character and look boxy with no aerodynamics. They are probably decent trucks but not sure what they were thinking when they decided to use that design.

The new Corvettes look better but the rear end looks like new Camaro too much. Seems GM has lost its direction in the styling department to me. Not good.
The irony is that on a truck "boxy" is actually very aerodynamic. All of the light duty truck manufacturers are moving towards boxier, more aerodynamic, frontends in order to help meet CAFE standards. Of course this will leave less room for the designers to differentiate their brand.

As for the taillights, I agree. They seem to be trying for a "corporate" design look there, especially in the rear. I don't really like it either, especially on the Corvette which has always been more unique then the other GM vehicles in terms of styling.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:20 PM

910 posts, read 1,677,023 times
The new design is much better than the 07-13 body style, imo.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:22 PM

113 posts, read 619,671 times
I kind of like the new design, but my favorite still is the Ram.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:35 PM

558 posts, read 1,121,066 times
I can't talk too much, my old beater is a saltine box

But I do think RAM and Toyota have the best looking trucks, and Ford is ok. The new Chevy's don't do a thing for me. Too square and featureless.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I think the choice between Chevy ;Ford and Ram give a good choice and have their own distinct style not mistakable to me really.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The irony is that on a truck "boxy" is actually very aerodynamic. All of the light duty truck manufacturers are moving towards boxier, more aerodynamic, frontends in order to help meet CAFE standards. Of course this will leave less room for the designers to differentiate their brand.

As for the taillights, I agree. They seem to be trying for a "corporate" design look there, especially in the rear. I don't really like it either, especially on the Corvette which has always been more unique then the other GM vehicles in terms of styling.
The front end on the new Chevy truck is really aerodynamic? To me it looks like a wind-catcher with a big ugly grill. Will have to look into that some more. The 99-02 body styling looks smoother and like it would be more aero to me. There seems to be a bigger is better way of thought with pickup trucks now which I don't think necessarily equates to more work practicality or ease of use.

Maybe at least the new ones have brake lines made of a more rustproof steel because I know that has been a problem. And it seems that Ford has had more rot and rusting problems on their pickup except for the brake lines, not sure about those. Maybe they were placed in a better way on the Fords. Any experience on that?

Old 01-20-2014, 06:21 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
The front end on the new Chevy truck is really aerodynamic? To me it looks like a wind-catcher with a big ugly grill. Will have to look into that some more. The 99-02 body styling looks smoother and like it would be more aero to me. There seems to be a bigger is better way of thought with pickup trucks now which I don't think necessarily equates to more work practicality or ease of use.

Maybe at least the new ones have brake lines made of a more rustproof steel because I know that has been a problem. And it seems that Ford has had more rot and rusting problems on their pickup except for the brake lines, not sure about those. Maybe they were placed in a better way on the Fords. Any experience on that?

Looks can be and are deceiving. Back in the day a 90s Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme (0.29) had better drag coefficient than a Lamborghini Countach barn like (0.42) But the Countach looked fast standing still while the Oldsmobile looked slow going fast.

A dodge charger Daytona has a better drag coefficient than a Lambo Diablo even if it doesn't look like it

Automobile drag coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-21-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Looks can be and are deceiving. Back in the day a 90s Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme (0.29) had better drag coefficient than a Lamborghini Countach barn like (0.42) But the Countach looked fast standing still while the Oldsmobile looked slow going fast.

A dodge charger Daytona has a better drag coefficient than a Lambo Diablo even if it doesn't look like it

Automobile drag coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There are reasons that some high speed cars don't necessarily have the lowest drag co-efficients.

First, supercars have very wide tires and second they need down force to prevent lift. I would think down force creates drag.

Chevy is saying the new Silverados have "less drag than the previous model". That is not saying much.

According to the wiki article and I quote " The two main factors that impact drag are the frontal area of the vehicle and the drag coefficient.

Although I could not find the drag specs for the 99-02 model Silverado I would bet that it is just as good as the new models.

I understand that truck buyers probably care more about looks than drag and the new engines are more efficient and the trucks are built with lighter materials. That's why they get better mileage.

The info that vehicle manufactures and all corporations in general can be very misleading.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:50 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
The new Chevy styling still looks more evolutionary to me than anything. I do not think they will struggle to more them.

Aside from maybe the controversial tail lights, the Corvette design seems to be mostly getting high praise. I would not use their attempt to modernize the taillights to fit more into the corporate theme as a point of attack on their styling department in general. The Corvette is sort of a halo for Chevy, so I can certainly understand the desire to see it really be more of a design setter for the brand, and not off doing it's own thing completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive