Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 07:41 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times

Advertisements

Does anyone own a Chevy or GMC 1500 pickup with the 5.3 V8? I'm interested in the regular cab model with an automatic transmission. Is the mpg claim of 15/21 realistic? Looking for personal experiences on reliability and performance.

Does anyone tow or plow with this model? The ones I'm looking at are work truck models with tow packages and plow prep.

Any information would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 09:22 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,247 times
That mileage claim seems a bit optimistic, but they're probably pulling all the tricks in the book to do it, with that Dexos oil GM uses now and all that. I have a half-ton Chevy with a V6 that never really did any better than that.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:17 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
You'll find that the 5.3 comes in various versions and performance across the version differs considerably. The one you want is the Flex Fuel engine. That's the best of the 5.3s and yes, it can get that kind of fuel mileage and more. My brother has one in a regular cab 4x4 and he gets better fuel mileage than I do with a Ford 4.6 2 wheel drive, he's clocking around the 24 MPGs hiway at 70 mph. Town is not so good at 14. There's a lot to like about the engine, too bad it's built around a crappy truck. Expect gasket issues with the engine, transmission issues, and if you get a 4x4 expect to repair it often as seals are crap because of poor design.
Dexos pretty much means nothing in GM oil specs and in their owners manual it states that if Dexos is not available to use any API 5w-30 oil. GM is currently being investigated by the Feds for the arm twisting meaningless spec that is causing the oil producers to pay GM for certification. Paying for certification is normal in the industry, GM is charging tens of thousands versus less than 100 bucks for other car makers. Because GM is now the prima donna of the Obama Administration, I doubt anything happens to GM.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
You'll find that the 5.3 comes in various versions and performance across the version differs considerably. The one you want is the Flex Fuel engine. That's the best of the 5.3s and yes, it can get that kind of fuel mileage and more. My brother has one in a regular cab 4x4 and he gets better fuel mileage than I do with a Ford 4.6 2 wheel drive, he's clocking around the 24 MPGs hiway at 70 mph. Town is not so good at 14. There's a lot to like about the engine, too bad it's built around a crappy truck. Expect gasket issues with the engine, transmission issues, and if you get a 4x4 expect to repair it often as seals are crap because of poor design.
Dexos pretty much means nothing in GM oil specs and in their owners manual it states that if Dexos is not available to use any API 5w-30 oil. GM is currently being investigated by the Feds for the arm twisting meaningless spec that is causing the oil producers to pay GM for certification. Paying for certification is normal in the industry, GM is charging tens of thousands versus less than 100 bucks for other car makers. Because GM is now the prima donna of the Obama Administration, I doubt anything happens to GM.
That's troubling to hear. I sold my 2004 Ram 1500 with 5.7 liter. 47,000 miles and rear seal leaking, electrical problems and other annoyances. This is one reason I was looking at a Toyota.

However, Consumer Reports ranked the reliability of the Chevy better than others. I had a Ford Ranger with a 4.0 and it wore out front tires and had transmission problems within the first 20,000 miles.

Apparently it is too much to ask for a mid sized truck that gets reasonable mpg with 4wd.

Ideally, 5000 lb tow capacity, light plowing, and a small diesel in a mid size would fit the bill.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:28 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Does anyone own a Chevy or GMC 1500 pickup with the 5.3 V8? I'm interested in the regular cab model with an automatic transmission. Is the mpg claim of 15/21 realistic? Looking for personal experiences on reliability and performance.

Does anyone tow or plow with this model? The ones I'm looking at are work truck models with tow packages and plow prep.

Any information would be appreciated.

I drive one regularly and MPG claim is not realistic. Though it seems they all get about the same mileage. I had a 2500 Crew Diesel, a 4.3 reg. cab and a 5.3 reg cab all getting 12-14 mpg. Running a/c all the time, mostly city driving, some extended idle time. On a long bed there is a 31 gallon tank ($120 fill ) and I regularly get to about 335-350 miles when the light comes on. I bought all the trucks new and employees drive them mostly but I have been driving the 5.3 for about 6 months. Truck is an 05, 52K miles 2WD, automatic, rubber mat bench seat stripper.

I looked at the window sticker and it said 16/20.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:34 AM

For what it is worth:

2001 4.3/auto went 120K miles with tires/batteries/brakes/fluid changes
2003 Diesel crew went 170k+ miles w/ tires, batteries, brakes (1), fluid changes, 1 water pump, 1 wheel bearing and one set of injectors under warranty.
2004 4.3/auto 0-75K miles, tires/batteries/1 brake job/fluid changes. 80K miles lost the 3/4 clutch pack in the tranny (4 spd auto). $1200 rebuild and back on the road. Every 4-5 months check engine will appear for a day or so. Computer says one crank sensor is bad, haven't fixed it, light goes away and truck runs fine.
2005 5.3/auto 52K miles Tires/batteries/1 brake job/fluid changes/ 1 a/c switch burn out and two door speakers are shot. Truck is fine though the seat edge is fraying (as all the above trucks did in the past as well).

Old 04-08-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I drive one regularly and MPG claim is not realistic. Though it seems they all get about the same mileage. I had a 2500 Crew Diesel, a 4.3 reg. cab and a 5.3 reg cab all getting 12-14 mpg. Running a/c all the time, mostly city driving, some extended idle time. On a long bed there is a 31 gallon tank ($120 fill ) and I regularly get to about 335-350 miles when the light comes on. I bought all the trucks new and employees drive them mostly but I have been driving the 5.3 for about 6 months. Truck is an 05, 52K miles 2WD, automatic, rubber mat bench seat stripper.

I looked at the window sticker and it said 16/20.
Thanks. My Ram was rated 13/17. Best I ever did was 14. In the snow if I put it in 4wd it dropped to 8 mpg.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Thanks. My Ram was rated 13/17. Best I ever did was 14. In the snow if I put it in 4wd it dropped to 8 mpg.
5.3 motor will burn rubber though, I think it was 290 HP at the time. In 09 the 5.3 put out 310 HP in a Tahoe trim. Rainy conditions the tail will come around very easily with a little too much throttle but that could be a tire issue also.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:32 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,497,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I was actually looking at some GM 1500 stepside trucks and wasn't too keen on GM's guideline of those LS1-based engines burning a quart per ~1000 miles and still being considered "normal" by their guidelines for an engine family that's been around about 15 years...and then looking in other forums and seeing whom I assume to be grown men justifying that with stories of GM vehicles from the 60s doing that kind of stuff. I would be mortified if my money was paying for that lack of R&D.

As you say though, a nice looking POS, nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC