Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:18 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,817,058 times

Advertisements

singing about trucks - YouTube

Chevrolet Trucks "Like A Rock" Commercial - YouTube

I'd love to hear their song.
It would go something like this......"ching...ping...pong...dong...ding".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Yeah, the term medium duty technically isn't correct but it was meant in the scope of passenger pickup trucks. I see S-10's, Tacomas, Rangers, etc in the light duty category. Gasser 1/2, 3/4 tons as medium duty and diesels and 1 tons in the "HD" category. In reality all passenger vehicles are considered "light".
Anything over 1/2 ton is medium/heavy duty. The new 1/2 tons are like the old 3/4 tons and the new 3/4 tons are like the old 1 tons. American trucks that is.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:32 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
What's so hard to grasp? Maybe a max of $16-$18 per hour and they charge more for the son of a b*tch than anyone else?
Well, being that in the span of less than 5 minutes you just admitted to being "only" about 60-80% wrong / full of BS, all just because of how you just spout hateful, inaacurate assumptions instead of clear, consise facts in line with how the real world works, nevermind the sophomoric language and posts that show all you really understand about autos, or the auto business is what you can pull up on youtube, your creditbility in an adult conversation involving those is ziltch until you learn and understand the basics of how ANY international business operates.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:43 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Anything over 1/2 ton is medium/heavy duty. The new 1/2 tons are like the old 3/4 tons and the new 3/4 tons are like the old 1 tons. American trucks that is.
Incorrect. Truck class rating is determined by the US DOT and is based on gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), not payload. Light-duty trucks will have a GVWR of under 14,000 pounds and include truck up through class 3, or what is generally considered a "one-ton" truck. The current generation of F350 has a max GVWR of 13,000 which makes it a light-duty truck.

It is true that most of today's trucks have a payload rating much higher than they did in years past. The Ford F150 is considered a 1/2-ton truck, but for 2013 only the SVT Raptor has a payload of less than 3/4 ton, and you can get an F150 with a payload rating of almost 1-1/2 ton.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:46 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
So you want a 4X4 pickup with at least a 6' box...WHY?!

You don't want a crew cab, you don't want to pay for the gas, and you aren't going to tow or haul anything often? Why not just buy a sedan...it seems to me you're probably going to regret buying a truck in the end anyway.

The F-150 and Silverado are the two best-selling trucks in America for good reason; they can take abuse, handle heavy loads, and keep on running with very little maintenance. Both are good trucks but neither are particularly small nor fuel efficient unless you get the V6 engines which you probably won't want to do if you're getting a 4X4 version with a 6.5" box.

I have a 2010 F-150 Crew Cab and love it but it sucks down gas like nothing. Filling up my tank will run anywhere from $100 to $130 depending how low I am on fuel. Coupled with getting 15 mpg on the highway (less in the city) and a truck doesn't look like an attractive proposition unless you really NEED one.

I think you need to reevaluate if you really NEED a truck or simply want one. Are you ready to pay $100+ each time you fill up? Insurance on new trucks isn't particularly cheap either.
haha Speedy you have to have one of the Nicest F-150s of the CD forum IMO so nice that You make my '91 F-250 jealous

When it Comes to Full size Pick-Up Trucks I am Ford for life no offence to you Chevy and Ram owners out there.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Well, being that in the span of less than 5 minutes you just admitted to being "only" about 60-80% wrong / full of BS, all just because of how you just spout hateful, inaacurate assumptions instead of clear, consise facts in line with how the real world works, nevermind the sophomoric language and posts that show all you really understand about autos, or the auto business is what you can pull up on youtube, your creditbility in an adult conversation involving those is ziltch until you learn and understand the basics of how ANY international business operates.
I'm completely clueless. I'm a mechanic as well. I also have owned Ford trucks my whole life. What are you adding except banner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Incorrect. Truck class rating is determined by the US DOT and is based on gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), not payload. Light-duty trucks will have a GVWR of under 14,000 pounds and include truck up through class 3, or what is generally considered a "one-ton" truck. The current generation of F350 has a max GVWR of 13,000 which makes it a light-duty truck.

It is true that most of today's trucks have a payload rating much higher than they did in years past. The Ford F150 is considered a 1/2-ton truck, but for 2013 only the SVT Raptor has a payload of less than 3/4 ton, and you can get an F150 with a payload rating of almost 1-1/2 ton.
So the difference between say a '97 F-250 and a 2002 F-250 Super Duty is the same thing? You better have that looked at. You are dead wrong.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:02 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
I'm completely clueless. I'm a mechanic as well. I also have owned Ford trucks my whole life. What are you adding except banner?

So the difference between say a '97 F-250 and a 2002 F-250 Super Duty is the same thing? You better have that looked at. You are dead wrong.

A mechanic that doesnt understand the actual difference between light and medium duty vehicles... Gotya.... Something to be said for consistency...

Old 09-11-2012, 11:05 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:

I'd love to hear their song.
It would go something like this......"ching...ping...pong...dong...ding".

Oh I get it. It's because Japan is in Asia ... hahaha you are one witty hombre.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
A mechanic that doesnt understand the actual difference between light and medium duty vehicles... Gotya.... Something to be said for consistency...
I believe everything you say Mr. Toyota internet man!

Old 09-11-2012, 11:13 AM

Now excuse me while I go talk to the other men!

Stacey Davids Trucks-Copperhead test drive - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive