Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are today's cars better looking than the ones of decades past?
Better 48 30.77%
Worse 85 54.49%
No different 23 14.74%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 12:27 AM

24,517 posts, read 33,370,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
The fins styling went way overboard near the end of the era. Went way past the Gaudi level! Just wish they could combine today's tech, safety, quality, & comfort with 50s and earlier style. Imagine a 56 Chevy with a moder Camaro engine/transmission, modern wrap around bucket seats in the front, retro looking modern stereo, hidden modern speakers front and rear, 4 wheel disc anti-lock brakes, three point seat belts, four wheel independent suspension, sound proofing materials
Wait a minute... today's comfort?

I find it the opposite. Most modern cars have stiff seats and a too firm ride. And cramped leg room in the front due to the console that usually intrudes on foot space. Nothing comfortable about that!

When I took one of my brothers for a ride in my '66 Plymouth Fury, he found the seat so large and soft, he thought it was custom-made. I told him it is the original seat and back then seats were generally big and plush.

Also, the "trunks" of many modern cars is ridiculous. First, almost all of them have the horrible chopped-off rear end and a mail-slot type opening which is supposed to be the trunk lid. Makes is very hard to put bulky items in which easily fit in my two Cadillacs, my Lincoln and my Plymouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 12:32 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,822,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Wait a minute... today's comfort?

I find it the opposite. Most modern cars have stiff seats and a too firm ride. And cramped leg room in the front due to the console that usually intrudes on foot space. Nothing comfortable about that!

When I took one of my brothers for a ride in my '66 Plymouth Fury, he found the seat so large and soft, he thought it was custom-made. I told him it is the original seat and back then seats were generally big and plush.

Also, the "trunks" of many modern cars is ridiculous. First, almost all of them have the horrible chopped-off rear end and a mail-slot type opening which is supposed to be the trunk lid. Makes is very hard to put bulky items in which easily fit in my two Cadillacs, my Lincoln and my Plymouth.
The Mob used to throw bodies in the back of those cars!

Old 09-16-2012, 12:35 AM

24,517 posts, read 33,370,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
The Mob used to throw bodies in the back of those cars!
They can try to do that with new cars, but they would have to fold the bodies about 10 times every which way!

Old 09-16-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
415, I didn't buy my cars to race on canyons. As you said, this thread is about styling. But how about a burn-out contest?

Or, let's drive over some rough roads and see which car you feel the bumps less in? Or let's see which car has more chrome and more real metal?

Or, let's see if your car will still be running in 40 years.
They don't want to go there. We gave a them a taste and a virtual reality tour. Of course they would believe us. Suppose we said modern thin high strength steel is very hard to weld on. The use of fastners and adhesives in modern day prove that point. Suppose we spoke of lead filled body lines that never wear out, crack or fall out like plastic filler does now. How about a hood or truck that someone could sit on and not have it cave in and flex because it's heavy gauge steel. Solid and ridgid suspensions that rival modern pick up trucks in durability and wear. That pot hole that just broke the hell out of your CV joints and unibody didn't even phase that old car. You'd blow a tire more than likely instead. I've also seen people speak of not wanting to get into anything too serious on modern cars. Most vintage cars, the engine and tranny can be pulled in under 2 hours. I've set a record with a buddy and did it in 1 1/2 hours before helping him. I could keep flapping my gums, however, all the vintage guys know what I'm saying already.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:07 AM

264 posts, read 267,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
It all depends. Though some remember the 1960s cars fondly, few remember there were plenty of snooze fest styling cars during that period. Generally I find the cars of the 50s and older to be better styled because at the time they were styled by artist, not wind tunnels and government safety regulations. Personally, I believe around the mid to late 1970s was a serious decline in car styling. The 80s brought about the worst of some cars because the focus was on lower vehicle weight and increased MPG. Sure, sports cars of that era looked good (depending on your preference), but sports cars almost always look good. I don't think today's cars "look" (exterior styling) better than years past. Their build quality, handling, acceleration, safety, and comfort are a huge leap from the cars of the past. But they're hampered in styling by those government regulations and quest for MPG. Ever notice that today's cars have a flatter nose? That's to protect pedestrians in low speed hits. Cars like the sharp nosed Camaro and Firebird of the late 1990s can't be built today because of those regulations.
What are you guys talking about? Cars today are better looking, safer for the driver, more comfortabe with inventions like dual zone climate control, faster and handle better. Sentiments aside automobile techmology went forward quite a bit in the last 50 years. It's like comparing a 1950 race car to Formula 1 bolid
Unless you are some old geezer used to his 1968 Mustangs you have to agree with that.

Last edited by noworneveragain; 09-16-2012 at 02:19 AM..

Old 09-16-2012, 04:28 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,592,885 times
Default Are today's cars better- or worse-looking than the ones of decades past? Discuss

There have always been good-looking and not so good-looking vehicles in every era. But currently, in order to achieve better mpg, most cars have a similar aerodynamic shape and as a result lose their distinctiveness. It just seems to me that most current cars are pretty bland, styling-wise.

But in terms of safety, comfort, and efficiency, they've never been better.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:15 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,027,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Today's cars are better in every way. Whether we're looking at sports cars, commuter appliances or trucks.
Absolutely agree.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:23 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,779,968 times
The classics are cooler

Old 09-16-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by noworneveragain View Post
What are you guys talking about? Cars today are better looking, safer for the driver, more comfortabe with inventions like dual zone climate control, faster and handle better. Sentiments aside automobile techmology went forward quite a bit in the last 50 years. It's like comparing a 1950 race car to Formula 1 bolid
Unless you are some old geezer used to his 1968 Mustangs you have to agree with that.
No, not at all. Some "old geezer" drove his 1968 Mustang Fastback GT harder and faster than most "mall crawlers" ever will in their entire life. He/THEY also jumped them and went airborne.....like FOR REAL.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:47 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,605,651 times
The muscle cars from the late 60's to mid 70's were awesome looking, after that they went down hill. Today's cars while safer and now as drool worthy as back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive