Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are today's cars better looking than the ones of decades past?
Better 48 30.77%
Worse 85 54.49%
No different 23 14.74%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 07:29 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,319,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Back in the '60s, the average person could tell a Chevy from a Ford Fairlane. How many average people today can identify modern cars without looking at the emblems? I know several people who were of driving age in the 1960s who keep up with cars but say they have given up trying to identify modern cars because they look so much alike.
I think you're speaking about your age more than anything else. I'm in my mid-20s. I can tell apart almost any car built from the late 1980s through today. It's not hard to do if you pay attention to what's on the road. Some people couldn't do it, because they don't give a rat's *** about cars. On the rare events that I see classic cars, I literally have no idea which is which. They're just not something I see very often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 AM

85 posts, read 123,506 times
Quote:
No, not my Buick! It was at a car show. Imagine how much it would cost in materials to build something like a 1958 Buick today? The cost of chrome alone would probably bankrupt GM (again)!
Yeah, I wouldn't dare to even think of the costs... However, I never turn down a nice cruise in one of those old rides. Back in the days when cars really were cars... The sound of an old GM V8 is just music to the ears

Old 09-14-2012, 09:35 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,857,385 times
My present car is somewhat worse looking than it was in decades past. A few rock chips, I once backed into a traffic barricade and made a tiny nick in the paint. Two small door dings noticable in the sunlight.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:39 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,447,508 times
Is there anyone who is making classic looking body kits for modern frames? Seems to me there could be some potential money there.

I'm not "into" cars by any stretch of the imagination, but like a lot of other's in this thread I just feel that most modern vehicles are soulless. Perhaps a good deal of that is only on the low end price range though, but it feels like I mistake my car in the parking lot now more often then I did in the past.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:03 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,029,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Is there anyone who is making classic looking body kits for modern frames? Seems to me there could be some potential money there.

I'm not "into" cars by any stretch of the imagination, but like a lot of other's in this thread I just feel that most modern vehicles are soulless. Perhaps a good deal of that is only on the low end price range though, but it feels like I mistake my car in the parking lot now more often then I did in the past.
seems to me years ago i read articles about companies who had the dies to stamp out sheetmetal say for 55-57 Chevy's, etc so they could apply to a modern chassis/drivetrain. But with all the regs on safety, my guess is one would be better off finding a clean old car and having a shop modernize it individually.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:39 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,332,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I think you're speaking about your age more than anything else. I'm in my mid-20s. I can tell apart almost any car built from the late 1980s through today. It's not hard to do if you pay attention to what's on the road. Some people couldn't do it, because they don't give a rat's *** about cars. On the rare events that I see classic cars, I literally have no idea which is which. They're just not something I see very often.
But I was referring to the average person, not a car enthusiast.

Also, it was much easier when Chevys, Fords, Buicks, etc. didn't look like Toyotas and Hondas.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:23 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,818,815 times
Quote:
But I was referring to the average person, not a car enthusiast.

Also, it was much easier when Chevys, Fords, Buicks, etc. didn't look like Toyotas and Hondas.
Seeing a classic car is not a rare event anywhere I have been. Just depends on what kind catches most folks eyes the most. Usually some ballsy 60's or 70's American V8 muscle car. If not for it's looks, the nice grind on the cam as it sits there at a stop rumbling and shaking. You can feel the power in your chest from the engine at idle. Duel exhaust and some nice mufflers help round out the sound and feel of that car. I haven't heard one fart cannon yet that sounded good. They are loud and obnoxious, yet give away the cars lack of power accidentally. That engine is screaming, and not in a good way. What are you cranking there pilgrim?? 8,000 RPM?? You're only going 45 MPH! Even worse if an automatic. It sounds like a winding up rubberband....zzzzzzZZZZooooooommmm......zzzzzzzZZ ZZZooooommm.

I agree about the chrome too. Nothing looks sharper than to see a fresh waxed classic with a bunch of polished chrome. The people into newer cars like those big gaudy oversized rims and tires but snuff the chrome elsewhere. I'd rather have it on my grill, mirrors, bumpers, emblems than have it on my rims. I think the skinny sidewalls look dumb too. Most vintage cars look best with nothing bigger than a 15" or 16" rim and tire. Many came stock with 14"s. You could squeeze 17"s on some cars but that is pushing it.

Something else I like on older cars is the ignition switch on the dash instead of the steering column. You actually had cool keys back in the day too. I have several original OEM keys for my '65 with the horse on them. Those new chip keys are huge and have to be programmed after they are cut. Just another pain in the neck and added expense. Most people with classics or fun cars want several sets. I like the idea of no power steering, no power brakes, no A/C, no automatic transmission, no nothing. When you need to get a wrench in there, you can do it with simple hand tools very quicky. Changing spark plugs? We won't even go there, as well as other common wear out parts. Start the grill and get the steks ready... I'll be done in a few.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
And in most cases, you don't have to worry about it passing the smog check because classic cars are exempt in most places (1975 and older here in California).
It's the same here. I have my timing where the thing will run best. I don't have to worry about anything else. I can even sneak some 110 leaded race fuel once in awhile..........shhhhhhh

Old 09-14-2012, 03:50 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,332,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
It's the same here. I have my timing where the thing will run best. I don't have to worry about anything else. I can even sneak some 110 leaded race fuel once in awhile..........shhhhhhh
Yes, my '69 Cadillac has dual exhaust; won't affect a smog check because there isn't any!
And year ago, I add on my former '66 Dodge Dart GT V-8 dual exhaust, Holley intake manifold and Carter 500 CFM AFB carb. Nice to be able to do those upgrades without worrying about silly smog checks. (Yes, I also advance the timing as far as it would go before it would ping or lose power.) Especially on cars which are driven less than 500 or 1,000 miles per year.

A car guy I know also refuels with racing fuel. 100 or 111 octane, in his '72 Plymouth Duster 340 with a built 360 engine.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, my '69 Cadillac has dual exhaust; won't affect a smog check because there isn't any!
And year ago, I add on my former '66 Dodge Dart GT V-8 dual exhaust, Holley intake manifold and Carter 500 CFM AFB carb. Nice to be able to do those upgrades without worrying about silly smog checks. (Yes, I also advance the timing as far as it would go before it would ping or lose power.) Especially on cars which are driven less than 500 or 1,000 miles per year.

A car guy I know also refuels with racing fuel. 100 or 111 octane, in his '72 Plymouth Duster 340 with a built 360 engine.
This should bring back some memories for all you guys!

http://www.adclassix.com/images/66sunoco260gasoline.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive