Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 08:12 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times

Advertisements

Toyota

Toyota recalled

Quote:
Toyota announced its largest worldwide recall ever on Wednesday, a big blow to efforts to rebuild its reputation for quality after the swarm of unintended acceleration recalls a couple of years ago.

The new recall covers more than 7.4 million cars and trucks worldwide, including 2.5 million in the U.S., spanning the 2007 to 2009 model years. The problem is a faulty power window master switch. It can become sticky and if the wrong kind of lubricant is used on the switch it can be a fire risk. Several fires have been reported.

The lock problem does not appear to be a manufacturing defect, says Toyota spokesman Brian Lyons, but is blamed on "commercially available lubricants" used on switches after the vehicles left showrooms. Under the recall, technicians will apply an approved fluorine grease.

Safety advocate Sean Kane says he doubts that the problems occurred after manufacture. "There is a lot of smoke around this one," he says. And, he notes, the switch issue has been swirling for a while.
Honda

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/08/au...itch.html?_r=0

Quote:
Honda Motor is recalling about 489,000 CR-V crossovers from the 2002 to 2006 model years in the United States, Europe and Africa because an electrical switch in the driver’s side door could melt and cause a fire.

Honda and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration announced the recall on Saturday for 268,000 vehicles in the United States. A Honda spokeswoman, Akemi Ando, said in Tokyo on Sunday that the recall would also affect 220,000 CR-V vehicles in Europe and 98 in Africa.

Honda said rain or other liquids could enter through a driver’s open window and damage the master power switch on the door, causing it to overheat and melt, possibly igniting.
Honda expands headlight recall to include 820k Civic, Pilot models

Quote:
Back in March, Honda issued a recall of 554,000 CR-V and Pilot crossovers due to faulty headlamps. But last month, the automaker quietly issued an expansion of this recall that includes 820,000 Civic and Pilot models from the 2002-2003 and 2004-2005 model years, respectively.

Honda began notifying owners of these newly affected vehicles in September.

A possible wiring fault in the headlight switch could cause the low-beams to not work in these affected models, and we certainly don't need to tell you why that could be hazardous. Honda has stated that no crashes or injuries have been reported in relation to this issue.
Toyota - 7.43 million
Honda - 1.86 million
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 09:43 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,097,411 times
Window switches? Really? Big deal. If we're vying for numbers it's tough to beat this one:

Oct 13, 2009: Ford Motor Co. adds 4.5 million older-model vehicles to a long list of those recalled due to a defective cruise control switch that can cause fires, pushing Ford's total recall due to faulty switches to 14.3 million. The series of recalls, which began in 1999, becomes the largest cumulative recall in U.S. history.

Looks like Toyota only has 7 million more to go to beat this record lol.

P.S. I don't own a Honda or Toyota and never have. I also happen to like Fords current line of products.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Window switches? Really? Big deal. If we're vying for numbers it's tough to beat this one:

Oct 13, 2009: Ford Motor Co. adds 4.5 million older-model vehicles to a long list of those recalled due to a defective cruise control switch that can cause fires, pushing Ford's total recall due to faulty switches to 14.3 million. The series of recalls, which began in 1999, becomes the largest cumulative recall in U.S. history.

Looks like Toyota only has 7 million more to go to beat this record lol.

P.S. I don't own a Honda or Toyota and never have. I also happen to like Fords current line of products.
You know exactly why I'm taking the time to post these and my actual feelings on the matter.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
You know exactly why I'm taking the time to post these and my actual feelings on the matter.
I know your reasoning but unfortunately there are far too many people on these forums that feed on these recalls like starving Ethiopian children that have just been handed a plate of injera.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I know your reasoning but unfortunately there are far too many people on these forums that feed on these recalls like starving Ethiopian children that have just been handed a plate of injera.
Very true and it goes both ways. Anytime there is a domestic recall it is immediately posted and everyone piles on about how crappy they are, MSNBC if you will. So, I am providing the FoxNews feed of Japanese recalls so people can pile on and scream "look I told you so". Put them together and we have the forum equivalent of CNN.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Very true and it goes both ways. Anytime there is a domestic recall it is immediately posted and everyone piles on about how crappy they are, MSNBC if you will. So, I am providing the FoxNews feed of Japanese recalls so people can pile on and scream "look I told you so". Put them together and we have the forum equivalent of CNN.
LOL, I guess we'll have to work with that.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:14 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Most recalls are minor, whether it be foreign or domestic. It's the major non-safety related problems that never get recalled that tick me off.

My '09 Tundra is under this recall, but I'm not sure its worth driving an hour to the dealer so they can squirt some grease in the switch. Maybe if I go for something else.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:14 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,987 times
I don't know, I have been hearing about Japanese quality slipping, and I wouldn't shrug off a car fire, car fires are very very serious. My cousin's, brothers, uncle's, best friend's, roomate, had a 1987 Honda Accord, and once the battery died do to the horrible quality control at Honda, so when he jumpstarted it, they had the jumper cables reversed and it fried the car and started a fire that burnt the car to the ground with his new Iphone 5(total loss) in it.

I would never buy a Japanese car because of situations like this.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:20 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Most recalls are minor, whether it be foreign or domestic. It's the major non-safety related problems that never get recalled that tick me off.

My '09 Tundra is under this recall, but I'm not sure its worth driving an hour to the dealer so they can squirt some grease in the switch. Maybe if I go for something else.
The defect causes fires. Sounds serious to me.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:35 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,840,880 times
At least they are being honest and proactive in warning consumers. I own a VW and we have quite a few problems that should be recalled but most likely never will be since they aren't life threatening. For one, my back rear windshield fluid nozzle leaks. Also, I hear VW's are infamous for having the window regulators fail. I still love my VW, but I loved my Honda too. That Honda lasted 212K miles without too many repairs until I got rid of it myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive