Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 07:30 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,070,967 times

Advertisements

Back in the day the only additive my buddies who actually had cars used were a handfull of "mothballs" on street drag night !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 08:36 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Last I knew even Ferrari recoomended Chevron Techron for fuel system cleaning.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 11,168 times
I use Bitron (product of bitron global I believe) in my car and it worked exactly like they said it would. I was thinking about becoming a distributor because I was pretty suprised at how well it worked. I would like to see a video that tests bitron the same way they tested all those other crappy fuel additives. You can see company test results at newlubes.com but I would still be interested in seeing personal test results.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 9,068 times
any recommendations on the best fuel additives, as far as injection cleaners and or octane boosters? Or is one as good as the other?

Old 01-31-2009, 05:49 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,911,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody1 View Post
any recommendations on the best fuel additives, as far as injection cleaners and or octane boosters? Or is one as good as the other?
Amazon.com: Guaranteed to Pass Emissions Test Formula (12 oz.): Automotive

Old 06-27-2011, 02:14 AM

1 posts, read 5,954 times
Default Question

I enjoyed reading your response, I have a 2004 Sentra that holds 12 gallons, would it be okay to add both BG 44K and LubroMoly at the same time, or add them at seperate times? I wasn't sure if you could 'over do it' on adding additives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Additives for cleaning a fuel injection system may be beneficial, depending upon the car, how it's driven, and the quality and additive pack in the fuel(s) typically used in it.

In my shop, I used BG 44K for many years, along with LubroMoly and a number of injection system cleaners run through the tank. I had many cars that could not be adjusted to run within the emissions standards, let alone within the manufacturer's specs, until the FI system had been cleaned.

There are a number of excellent professional machines which do this in a workshop environment, but you cannot justify owning one for your own car. The way to avoid needing this service is to keep your FI system clean to begin with ....

I find that using a few ounces of Acetone per gallon of fuel every now and then does a good job of cleaning out the FI system on my cars. The difference is noticeable in terms of smooth running and fuel economy as the FI computer "learns" the new fuel delivery parameters. This trick has been especially helpful when out on the road and I've gotten a "bad" load of fuel to help clean it out. Don't use more than 2-3 oz per gallon ... and expect that the first tankful may have lower than normal fuel economy as the system cleans out.

I tired using Acetone as a fuel economy improver in several of my gas and diesel fueled vehicles. It didn't make any significant difference, but I was already getting better than published economy for the cars by keeping the FI systems clean, proper tires/inflation, etc.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:55 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,193,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipf11 View Post
I enjoyed reading your response, I have a 2004 Sentra that holds 12 gallons, would it be okay to add both BG 44K and LubroMoly at the same time, or add them at seperate times? I wasn't sure if you could 'over do it' on adding additives.
You can "over do it" by adding too much additive per tankful.

With a 12 gallon tank, I'd start with only a 1/2 can of BG 44K to begin with.

Drive that tank out to the half tank level, then re-fill the tank so that you still have a dilution of the additive in the fuel. Then drive that tankfull down close to empty before refilling again.

See what the results are for engine running/fuel economy on the next tank or so before using any more additive.

FWIW, I recently tried using the Lucas Brand of fuel additive in my Subarus ... and was surprised to see comparable results to what I used to get with the original formula BG 44K. Due to the change in that formulation, I'm not as eager to use 44K anymore, so I was seeking out alternatives.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:47 AM

859 posts, read 2,829,567 times
Octane improvement additives are a joke. I once filled my car with 91 octane by mistake. It was a 468 BBC with 11.1 CR. I wasn't paying any attention and pushed the wrong button on the pump. A couple of miles later I started hearing a ping under light load. I stopped at the local parts store and picked up 4 bottles of octane boost and dumped it in. Did nothing. I ended up backing the timing off until that tank was gone.

Fuel and intake cleaners on the other hand do work but I've only seen success with Lucas injector cleaner, BK44 and Sea Foam. I got a car that was in storage for many years and the previous owner left the old gas in the tank, carbs and lines. I had plans to rebuild the motor over the winter but just wanted to drive the car that summer. We drained the tank, blew out the lines, changed the filter and did a quick shot of carb cleaner and managed to get it running. 2 bottles of Sea Foam in 8 gallons of gas had the car smoking like crazy but it cleaned out about 80% of the gunk. I ran 2 more cans with the next full tank. By the 3rd tank the car was running like new. We also pulled the plugs and shot some Sea Foam directly on the tops of the pistons and down the carb onto the valves. I was skeptical as I fix cars for a living and know most of these things are a joke but I'm always impressed with Sea Foam. I even recommend it to my customers.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:56 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,774,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
I've never used one of those "power adders" but I have run the occasional bottle of fuel system treatment/injector cleaner and the like. I wonder if those are actually doing what they promise, or if I'd be better off just filling up with the occasional tank of 89 octane?
I started filling up at a Chevron Gas Station which says to have an additive in with thier gasoline. I get an additional 2 mpg (minimum) when i use this gasoline versus others....and its been the same for the last 2 years since ive tried it with the same driving habits and at all times of the year. And i use the car for the same trips each and every week so the car is seeing the same terrain .

Old 09-01-2011, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 5,711 times
Default Octane, Performance vs Horsepower

Higer octane fuel does not increase "horsepower" and it's not intended to. Higher octain increases the performance of your engine. Do not confuse "performance" with "horsepower". The higher octain causes the fuel to burn more efficiently; the engine runs cooler, the burning fuel leaves less waste deposts and build-up in your engine, emissions are cleaner, and you may see more miles to the gallon depending on how your vehicle is tuned, but you won't see more horsepower. Cooler running temperatures is why the highest octain is recommended for all "Air-cooled" engines, such as motorcycles, lawn mowers, etc. Most common model vehicles are designed to burn the lower octane fuels; if proper regularly scheduled maintenance is performed on vehicles designed for lower octane fuels, using higher octain fuel is un-necessary and a waste of your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive