Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 07:19 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd1014 View Post
What do you guys think of this one ? '00 Crown Vic, Interceptor
I mean check them out...

Just some heads up, while looking. '03, they redid the suspension and it improved the feel of the car alot. '04, '05+ they got a little more hp(up to 250hp)

As for the deal, check it out in person. It looks like a typical ex-cop car. Seems police agencies, get rid of the cars as they hit 100k, so they go to auction, I think people buy them then flip them. Personally I prefer a non-patrol car Crown Vic, like a dective or captain's car. Maybe even like childe services. Used more for transporting the driver then "patroling"

But check it out in person, these cars were all over the place. Either way I am sure it will be ok, but there may be better examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 09:50 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
Having been in law enforcement for 30+ years my suggestion would be to avoid any used police vehicles with 100K + miles. I can attest to the way they are driven and it's mostly not good. Not bashing the Crown Vic. I drove them and I like them. Here in central NJ there are many retirement communities, that's where I would look for one.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:00 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Having been in law enforcement for 30+ years my suggestion would be to avoid any used police vehicles with 100K + miles. I can attest to the way they are driven and it's mostly not good. Not bashing the Crown Vic. I drove them and I like them. Here in central NJ there are many retirement communities, that's where I would look for one.
Reminds me of one of my favorite lawsuits. My client was a concrete paving contractor who has just finished placing concrete for a new section of a freeway. A local sherrif wanted to see what his crown vic could really do not a brand new wide open streatch of contrere freeway with no other cars. He drove around the various barriers and construciton equipment and ignored the people hollering at him. Hit the wide open pavement and gunned it hard. In an instant the car was buried to the doors. Then the started gunning it back and forth to get away so he woudl not get in trouble. Needless to say, that buried him deeper. The county refused to pay the $250,000 it cost to remove and replace the concrete.

It was a fun but rather short case.

Anyway the point is, lots of police officers are cowboys. They have a high powered car, they think they have fancy driving training, so they want to try out the combination at least once. Then the next guy who gets the car wants to try too. Then once in a while they have an actual need to race off somewhere while driving over curbs, etc. When they get excited about saving a life or catching a bad guy, they really do not think too much about how much damage they are doing to the car.

I would never buy a used police car, unless I wanted it just for fun so I could wear black suit, hat and sunglasses and say "We are 100 miles from Chicago, we have half a tank of gas, it is dark, and we are wearing sunglass. . . ."

Old 01-11-2013, 12:17 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Reminds me of one of my favorite lawsuits. My client was a concrete paving contractor who has just finished placing concrete for a new section of a freeway. A local sherrif wanted to see what his crown vic could really do not a brand new wide open streatch of contrere freeway with no other cars. He drove around the various barriers and construciton equipment and ignored the people hollering at him. Hit the wide open pavement and gunned it hard. In an instant the car was buried to the doors. Then the started gunning it back and forth to get away so he woudl not get in trouble. Needless to say, that buried him deeper. The county refused to pay the $250,000 it cost to remove and replace the concrete.

It was a fun but rather short case.

Anyway the point is, lots of police officers are cowboys. They have a high powered car, they think they have fancy driving training, so they want to try out the combination at least once. Then the next guy who gets the car wants to try too. Then once in a while they have an actual need to race off somewhere while driving over curbs, etc. When they get excited about saving a life or catching a bad guy, they really do not think too much about how much damage they are doing to the car.

I would never buy a used police car, unless I wanted it just for fun so I could wear black suit, hat and sunglasses and say "We are 100 miles from Chicago, we have half a tank of gas, it is dark, and we are wearing sunglass. . . ."
I agree, some people should not be cops. I can attest to that. Just like some people should not be lawyers.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:07 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
As for the deal, check it out in person. It looks like a typical ex-cop car. Seems police agencies, get rid of the cars as they hit 100k, so they go to auction, I think people buy them then flip them. Personally I prefer a non-patrol car Crown Vic, like a dective or captain's car. Maybe even like childe services. Used more for transporting the driver then "patroling"
A neighbor does this, and makes a bit of change in the process. Usually he only gets the non patrol type cars or cars from smaller police agencies. He was a officer for years and often knew which ones were good deals. I've been tempted to look into one myself, but my wife doesn't like the large cars like that.

Good luck with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive