Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do all tires have to match on a car?
yes. buy four new tires 24 41.38%
no. buy two new tires and use two old tires 34 58.62%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 03:20 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times

Advertisements

I bought tires for my cargo van today...when I made a face at the price, the shop owner offered to sell me two brand new tires, and two very lightly-used ones he'd taken off another vehicle. The new ones went on the rear (RWD E-series van) and the lightly-used ones on the front. He assured me that was perfectly OK - they have, to my uneducated eye, a similar-looking tread pattern - and it saved me about $150.00.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 942 times
I have a rear wheel drive car and I went to get two snow tires on the back. Well the tires they put on are a LOT smaller then my front tires and now my car is acting up big time. The ABS light keeps coming on and my car is spitting and sputtering. When I drove the car before I switched tires it was fine. Is it ok to have smaller tires in back on rear wheel drive?

Old 10-27-2014, 10:52 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,106,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Okay, I put snow tires on my car, and the tire guy told me two of my tires were fine, and two were done. Now, it is time to put tires on again, should I buy two tires? Or just go whole hog and buy four tires that match? My car has 85,000 miles.
It depends on the vehicle you are driving.

If you are driving an AWD Subaru, then absolutely you need to replace all four tires.

If you are driving a FWD vehicle, then not so much.

Just remember to put the newer tires on the front axles and happy motoring.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:21 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMarie113 View Post
I have a rear wheel drive car and I went to get two snow tires on the back. Well the tires they put on are a LOT smaller then my front tires and now my car is acting up big time. The ABS light keeps coming on and my car is spitting and sputtering. When I drove the car before I switched tires it was fine. Is it ok to have smaller tires in back on rear wheel drive?
What do you mean by smaller? Smaller diameter, or just narrower? And where the heck do you live that you already have winter tires on your car in October?

It's not OK to put only two winter tires on your car regardless of size. Your problems are only going to get drastically worse as winter sets in. Get winter tires on the front wheels too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Just remember to put the newer tires on the front axles and happy motoring.
Assuming tire specs are the same all around... newer tires should go on the rear, not the front.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:26 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
On some of our company cars we have mismatched tread tires. Simply due to getting flats/blowouts at different times and pulling in the first tire shop throw on a tire that has the same sidewall numbers and get back on the road. Anytime I drive one of those trucks the truck handles like absolute crap. Not that big 3/4-1 ton are Ferraris but you can tell they are not steady when they go on turns or over patches of water or in the rain.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:56 AM

1 posts, read 742 times
I have 2 tires with the size being 215 and two being 225. The 215 tires are on the back and the 225 on front. My car is pulling to the right badly. I had an alignment done but the car is still pulling to the right. I took it back to Firestone and they told me that it's not going to be corrected do to the 2 different size tires. I am wondering if this is true and is there anything I can do to help correct this problem without having to get new tires at this moment. The pulling has already wore out 2 of my tires hence the reason for the different sizes I can't afford brand new tires or even used ones right now. I feel like I basically was swindle by Firestone .

Old 10-06-2015, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 657 times
I was given a Goodyear tire by my neighbor. I thought great I only have to buy one tire. So yesterday I went to Mexicali tire store in Simi Valley to buy another Goodyear tire to replace my rear tires for my Prius. My son said make sure they put on the same brand. I emphasized this to the tire guy. He assured me they had it. Well, when I got on the freeway, the car wouldn't hold the cruise control and I got a icon on my dash that I hadn't see before, which worried me, as I was driving about 20 miles away. I went back to the tire store last night and he said, "oh it was the wrong size. It was supposed to be a 185/65/R15. They had put on a Goodyear tire, but it the size was 195. He said to come back today and he'd change it. I again asked do you have a Goodyear, as I was told to have matching manufacture on both tires, front or back. He said he's done this many times, not to worry, he's the expert.
There's no refunds. Do I need to have matching tires (treads), or not? Thanks, Lucy

Old 10-06-2015, 10:37 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
When they're down to the wear bars.
I tend to get flat tires within a month or so before they would have gotten down to the wear bars.. like clockwork. It has happened every time without fail, must be our bad roads. And at least 4 times now, I've replaced all four tires after that happened. I should start just calling AAA and getting a tow to the tire shop instead of bothering with the spare!

Old 10-07-2015, 01:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
If 2 of the tires are finished i'm sure the other two arent far behind.
IMO go out and buy four new dedicated snow tires, whats you and your families life worth?.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:57 PM

899 posts, read 1,015,719 times
Some of my cars have 4 of the same tires, some don't. My '85 Jetta has Firestone and BF Goodrich tires on it, for example. As for wear, they're usually about the same. In my Jetta's case, they're all cracked/dry rotted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive