Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which generation do you prefer?
Old School 83 54.61%
New School 69 45.39%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 07:11 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,284,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Old school cars to be fair have style to me. Car designs nowadays are too closely related. Hyundais looking like Buicks. Lincoln looking like Volkswagens. Chryslers trying to look like Bentleys (at least that has a degree of intelligence).
I hate this, as it ignores reality. Cars have AWAYS looked like cars of their era.

Here's an example from 1939, no two cars of the same make:

Notice how alike they look?

Last edited by Merc63; 06-03-2013 at 08:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 07:34 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
So about what time frame was it that cars ceased being old school and we ushered in the era of new school cars?

I think most people are comparing cars of the 2010's to cars of the 1960's. But when did we actually lose that old school vibe of cars?

Was it in the 1970's when emissions standards were tightened and muscle cars saw huge drops in power? Was it in the late 1970's when the gas crisis forced many automakers to kill their customers' beloved muscle cars? Was it in the 1980's when the Japanese began to establish a market in the United States? Was it in the 1990's when cars began using fiber glass through out much of their body?

When did the switch happen?
I think it really started in the late 1960s when manufacturers started carrying the body styles over from one year to the next. Not that the cars of that era didn't still have a lot of class; but I think when manufacturers realized that they could turn out the same style of car with only minimal changes for two or four or 14 years and still have people buy them they started to put less emphasis on styling.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:50 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I like older simpler cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
All i care about is performance on or off road.
If you actually cared about performance you'd like the newer, less simple cars that extract more HP from fuel and get more of it to the pavement than older, simpler cars that are rated at less SAE gross HP than today's performance cars with their SAE Net HP ratings. Slackass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I hate this, as it ignortes reality. Cars have AWAYS looked like cars of theri era.

Heres an example from 1939, not two cars of the same make:

I guess those get a pass because they're "old school" and "classic" and all. That standard only applies to today's newer cars that spank the "performance" machines of yesteryear, mostly because they need a reason to pick on them without actually having to, you know, like, race them.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:22 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,495,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
When I heard they used a rusted 59 chevy (which was known even in 59 to be the worst in a crash) I really wanted to see someone sue the hell out of these clowns. And yes, they were sued, but as I understand it things are still tied up in court. It was found out the frame on the 59 was not only rusted out and painted over replacement frame (the cars original was in perfect shape) , there were grinding cuts made along the inside frame rails to weaken it. This is why the front wheel gets slammed back so far on the 59. I have seen wrecks between older cars like this 59 and newer cars, and I can tell you the older car didn't wad up like this one in the video while the new car did exactly what theirs in the video did.
Not "wadding up" then the energy was transfered right to the occupants body, which then wadded up. The energy has to go somewhere.. it doesnt magically disapate on its own. Wadding up is a good thing. When sheetmetal buckles it absorbs the energy instead of the bag of bones and jelly inside doing it.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:38 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,472 times
Quote:
I hate this, as it ignortes reality. Cars have AWAYS looked like cars of theri era.

Heres an example from 1939, not two cars of the same make:

There is an exception to every rule. Cars don't always look like the cars from that time. Unless you're blind which is very possible. Notice how you went so far back to a time which car makers were limited on designs when it comes to the capability of building them without having to hand make them from start to finish. Look at the 50s 60s those cars still have very noticeable differences. Even the boxy 80s are different. You're the one ignoring reality by ignoring the capability which car makers had at the time which is far far less than today but again you are easily insulted.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:43 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,284,018 times
Quote:
There is an exception to every rule. Cars don't always look like the cars from that time. Unless you're blind which is very possible. Notice how you went so far back to a time which car makers were limited on designs when it comes to the capability of building them without having to hand make them from start to finish. Look at the 50s 60s those cars still have very noticeable differences. Even the boxy 80s are different. You're the one ignoring reality by ignoring the capability which car makers had at the time which is far far less than today but again you are easily insulted.

Cars have always looked like cars of theit era. It's how you can instantly tell what era they are from, even if you don't know the car in question: shared styling cues. I could have gone back even further, to the '30s or '20s, or brass era, and you would have known exactly which decade they were from even without telling you.

Cars of the '50s all look similar, due to hared styling cues. Same with cars of the '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, etc. We can tell immediately that a car is of the, say, '80s, even if we don't know exactly what car it is, just by seeing those shared styling cues.

I'll bet you don't know what car this is, but you'll know EXACTLY what era it's from:

Old 06-03-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Cars have always looked like cars of theit era. It's how you can instantly tell what era they are from, even if you don't know the car in question: shared styling cues. I could have gone back even further, to the '30s or '20s, or brass era, and you would have known exactly which decade they were from even without telling you.

Cars of the '50s all look similar, due to hared styling cues. Same with cars of the '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, etc. We can tell immediately that a car is of the, say, '80s, even if we don't know exactly what car it is, just by seeing those shared styling cues.

I'll bet you don't know what car this is, but you'll know EXACTLY what era it's from:
I know exactly what car that is hence I know the era. Cars don't always look like cars from that era. If you're not visually inclined then they will all look the same. Many cars look like cars from an entirely different time period. Visual cues tend to be shared by region not by era. 70s cars from US look totally different than 70s cars from Japan. The two countries have different preferences and needs hence the cars are built to fit them.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:10 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,759,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Not "wadding up" then the energy was transfered right to the occupants body, which then wadded up. The energy has to go somewhere.. it doesnt magically disapate on its own. Wadding up is a good thing. When sheetmetal buckles it absorbs the energy instead of the bag of bones and jelly inside doing it.

Where did you hear they modified the old chevy? I'm very interested in this. This changes things.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:16 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,714 times
Quote:
I know exactly what car that is hence I know the era. Cars don't always look like cars from that era. If you're not visually inclined then they will all look the same. Many cars look like cars from an entirely different time period. Visual cues tend to be shared by region not by era. 70s cars from US look totally different than 70s cars from Japan. The two countries have different preferences and needs hence the cars are built to fit them.
Actually 70s cars from the US and Japan look very similar if you look at styling. The big difference between the two regions wasn't styling of the vehicles, it was the size.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Actually 70s cars from the US and Japan look very similar if you look at styling. The big difference between the two regions wasn't styling of the vehicles, it was the size.
So a Datsun 280Z looks like a Pontiac GTO? GTFO. You're BSing. Styling was a major difference. Look at the Datsun 280Z a popular 70s Japanese sportscar. Look at popular American cars of the time. They look nothing alike. Dodge Charger and a Mazda RX-3? Nissan Skyline GT-R and a Mercury Cougar? No and No. You have to be as blind as a bat. The Japanese were copying more of the European sportscars of the time.

Last edited by Yellow Jacket; 06-03-2013 at 10:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive