Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 07:17 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,682,160 times

Advertisements

My vote is also with the Honda Accord. We have a 2001 that we just gave to our daughter (17) last Christmas and then purchased another Honda product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 07:21 PM

373 posts, read 1,472,235 times
Should I be concerned that older cars may not have side curtain airbags? Honestly, that has been my main concern with not buying a newer car. There are so many "tanks" on the road. I'm a mom, I worry.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:31 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Quote:
i'd go with a honda accord. very reliable, great resale value, everything youll need inside a car.
Accord's are great vehicles for commuters but I'm sure a high school kid wouldn't be too thrilled with one. I mean I'd want something with a little performance and style; Accord's are pretty bland in both departments.

Quote:
He is just starting to show interest in cars, but doesn't really car, although I suspect that if we came home with a VW Beetle, he wouldn't be too thrilled. We don't want to spend more than $15,000 but would love to keep it closer to $10,000.
There are plenty of great vehicles choices for around $10K that I'm sure he'd love. You could get a nice 1999-2001 Chevy Camaro, 2001-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix, or 2000-2002 Ford Mustang. All three of which would make great high school and college vehicles. As for the height issue, I wouldn't be too concerned as I'm 6'2" and have comfortably fit into very low slung sports cars with ease.

Quote:
Should I be concerned that older cars may not have side curtain airbags? Honestly, that has been my main concern with not buying a newer car. There are so many "tanks" on the road. I'm a mom, I worry.
I wouldn't. Side curtain airbags are a nice thing to have but are far from necessary.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:44 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Accord's are great vehicles for commuters but I'm sure a high school kid wouldn't be too thrilled with one. I mean I'd want something with a little performance and style; Accord's are pretty bland in both departments.
Bland is GOOD for a 17 year old. Sporty will only get him in trouble. If he gets a sporty car, even if his intentions are good, his friends will be constantly suggesting ways to make his car go faster or other kids in sporty looking cars will rev on him at the stoplights. I also see a lot of young guys get bite by the car bug and then spend all their extra money on modding their cars. Bad new and a good way for them to become financially irresponsible.

I vote for an Accord or even a older Volvo. No one steals Volvos and they are very sturdy cars.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:54 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
How about a used Ford Explorer?

Old 10-28-2007, 08:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Any high school kid who isn't thrilled with any decently running car in decent shape that his parents give to him should have that car sold right out from beneath his ungrateful ass.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:31 PM

373 posts, read 1,472,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Any high school kid who isn't thrilled with any decently running car in decent shape that his parents give to him should have that car sold right out from beneath his ungrateful ass.
Oh! Believe me....we agree. That is why we made all the requirements I previously stated. He has met his end of the bargain and in order to keep the car once it is purchased he must maintain his end of the deal.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:59 PM

40 posts, read 341,678 times
For a first car, here are my recommendation:

1. Used subaru outback or Forester (preferably with side air bags)..
a. excellent handling
b. good in snow and rain due to AWD
c. excellent safety
d. good gas mileage

2. Honda civic (2006 and up)...
a. excellent safety
b. good handling
c. good gas mileage
d. reliable

3. Used Honda CRV or new one.
a. same as #2

Old 10-28-2007, 09:28 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
IMO, a first car should be more of the sturdy, reliable, solid, transportation type vehicle than a "sporty" image or higher performing vehicle.

The insurance rates for a young driver on a sportier car will be a much higher chunk of dough than the more mundane car. In view of the higher accident/damage rate for a new driver, an older car with lower valuation yet abundant parts/service is a better choice.

My votes ...

1) an older Volvo 4 door sedan with a base model 4 cylinder motor. Adquate power, good fuel economy, good brakes/handling, safe in crashes, and a decent all-weather driver.

2) a Subaru Legacy Wagon, not necessarily an Outback. Same virtues as the above car, probably a better choice if you've got adverse winter driving conditions.

If your son's actual car useage is like mine or my sons when they started driving ... functional will outweigh "sporty" every time they want to go someplace with a couple of friends, go camping/fishing, tow their boats, cartop their kayaks or bicycles, need to haul "stuff" around for projects, head to the beach for a day, and so on ....

Old 10-28-2007, 10:02 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,401,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
How about a used Ford Explorer?
I test drove one the other day and man, those things are like boats on wheels. Plus you can just hear them suckin gas....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive