Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:00 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,850,853 times

Advertisements

Hi all--

I've got my final exams coming up in the next two weeks, and I'm done May 3. From there, my summer job at the courthouse doesn't start until July 8. (Disclosure: I'm finishing my second year in law school.) In short, I've got two months completely off to get myself in better shape, hang out with friends, play some football, and do pretty much whatever I damn well please.

Due to being pretty frugal this year and maintaining my scholarship, I've actually got some extra cash.

Now the other issue: my main driver is a Prius. It does not have much get up and go by any stretch of the imagination.

My train of thought is, if I can buy a car for less than $2,000 and (1) fix it up; and (2) hop it up enough to have some fun.

I consider myself to be fairly mechanically inclined, the only things I don't screw with are rebuilding engines and transmissions (for that, I have a couple buddies to call on; all of which will be as free with time as I am this summer).

That said, any particularly good candidates?

My only requirements are: (1) it must have at least six cylinders; (2) I must be able to fit in it as a 6'4 250lbs guy; and (3) preferably it be supercharged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 08:59 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,278,152 times
6 cylinders and supercharged....

Thats a lot to ask for with 2k.

It depends on what your into. What have you thought about already?

My opinion and what info I have. I would look into a Mk3 (94-98) GTI VR6. Big downfall for most is that its a VW, and its FWD. Another car Id be into would be a BMW 325 from the late 80s. This car has a very nice engine and its RWD. A true sportscar and you can do simple bolt ons and be happy with it.

When it comes to american cars, Im all about Chevy, but my cutoff is 1971. Nothing after that really impresses me, well maybe except for the Grand National..But your not getting that for under 2k.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
My last classic muscle car was a 1972 El Camino, but anything pre-1973 with any kind of power is going to be a rust bucket or basket case for $2,000. Go onto the Craiglist car section and set a $2,000 or even $2,500 search limit and you will see what you get for that. Most likely 4 bangers with 200,000+ miles.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:22 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,850,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
6 cylinders and supercharged....

Thats a lot to ask for with 2k.

It depends on what your into. What have you thought about already?

My opinion and what info I have. I would look into a Mk3 (94-98) GTI VR6. Big downfall for most is that its a VW, and its FWD. Another car Id be into would be a BMW 325 from the late 80s. This car has a very nice engine and its RWD. A true sportscar and you can do simple bolt ons and be happy with it.

When it comes to american cars, Im all about Chevy, but my cutoff is 1971. Nothing after that really impresses me, well maybe except for the Grand National..But your not getting that for under 2k.
Hi NewHavensFinest--

I've had good experience with GM's 3800's over the years, and I know those have been hopped up pretty frequently (thinking ~2000 Buick Regal, Pontiac Bonneville, Grand Prix, Firebird... I think the Chevy Camaro may have had the 3.8 at some point too?). As to a late 80's model BMW, I hadn't actually considered that, I'll have to look into it a bit more.

I'm willing to get something that needs a little work, especially if it can be had for the right price.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:24 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi all--

I've got my final exams coming up in the next two weeks, and I'm done May 3. From there, my summer job at the courthouse doesn't start until July 8. (Disclosure: I'm finishing my second year in law school.) In short, I've got two months completely off to get myself in better shape, hang out with friends, play some football, and do pretty much whatever I damn well please.

Due to being pretty frugal this year and maintaining my scholarship, I've actually got some extra cash.

Now the other issue: my main driver is a Prius. It does not have much get up and go by any stretch of the imagination.

My train of thought is, if I can buy a car for less than $2,000 and (1) fix it up; and (2) hop it up enough to have some fun.

I consider myself to be fairly mechanically inclined, the only things I don't screw with are rebuilding engines and transmissions (for that, I have a couple buddies to call on; all of which will be as free with time as I am this summer).

That said, any particularly good candidates?

My only requirements are: (1) it must have at least six cylinders; (2) I must be able to fit in it as a 6'4 250lbs guy; and (3) preferably it be supercharged.

Why not save your money and stick with the Prius for a while. Do you seriously need that much get up and go? If it gets you from point A to point B without trouble stick with it until you get out of school and get a real paying job IF it lasts that long with proper care.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:56 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,471,789 times
What year and how many miles is your prius? Why not sell the prius (depending on age/mileage, you could get $10K or more), buy a 2k-3k beater civic, and then have more room to spend on something you want

Old 04-23-2013, 06:37 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Having a little time off would be great for a hobby car. However, I am not sure having it off and not having an income is.

For $2000, and looking for V6 and supercharged, I am thinking you are going to basically be down to looking for a GM with the 3800 S/C. Even then, I am not sure $2000 will buy one in very good shape, meaning you will have to put a lot of work (and cash) into it. So you may need significantly more budget than $2000. There may be some foreign options too, but I would hate to think what parts costs would be for them by comparison.

If all that is ok, I would start to look for older Grand Prix's, Regals, Monte Carlo's etc., which had the 3800 S/C engine in them and see if anything prices out acceptably for you.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:47 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,163,318 times
Buy a nice bicycle, you can get in shape and go fast at the same time!

Old 04-23-2013, 07:59 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
I agree with those who say save your money. Unless you are on full scholarship, you are going to have some pretty hefty student loans, are you not? I'd drive the Prius for now, maybe reserve a corvette rental for your birthday and go get it all out of your system.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:22 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
I agree with above posters. I don't thiink you will get much for $2000 in the 6cyl supercharged dept. that hasn't been beat to heck. I was thinking a fun sporty car like a Miata, Golf or Scion but then I read that you are 6'4 and 250 so a small zippy car might not be what you want.
I have always had 2 cars, a sports car and a truck, van, or JeeP and it is fun but you need to think about the extra maintenance costs, the extra tax and insurance and where will you park this extra car?
Instead of a car have you given any thought to a motorcycle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive