Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 11:50 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,338,527 times

Advertisements

^^^ The truck sales are telling. My theory is that Americans forgot how to make durable sedans so everyone wants an SUV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 01:43 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
For those that are wondering where their car was designed, just head out to California. Oh well that is if you own a BMW, Mercedes, VW, Dodge, Ford, Toyota and Tesla to name a few. Porsche has office space in Los Angeles. Turns out that in Sunny California you will find more Porsches than in any other place on earth including Germany. Many car companies care what people in California say when it comes to how a car looks, rides, sounds, and acts on the road.

Speaking BMW, here in my city is where it all happens if it is new and exciting. We had the Nitrogen powered BMW before anyone else did outside of Germany anyway.

VW Motors, the company that owns Porsche, AUDI, Buggati, Bentley and a few other companies does all their testing here in sunny Oxnard California. One of the few places in the nation that does factory work on your Buggati or Bentley, if ever needed, as well.

What I am saying is that California has that much pull within the exotic, luxury segment of the industry and on into the mainstream everyday drivers that you own.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:22 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
I bet you have a prius too.
...and I have a 2012 WRX too.

But I've posted a few times on this forum about owning both.

---

In California the Prius has eschewed it's treehugger roots; people buy them because of the reasons I posted and the fact that we drive so much. My choice (and many other's) to buy a Pruis wasn't to be green.

---

On topic:

Like others have posted we have a lot of BMW 328i (new/leased) and C250(new/leased) here as well.

There are more of them around here because of leasing and easier financing, but I think they still hold a certain level of prestige, but I think of entry level MBs and BMWs like Apple products.

A Lamborghini or Ferrari is way more prestigious but that's because once you go over 90k-100k+ then you're in a different league altogether.

We (California) also have a lot (as it's been stated) of trucks, sports cars, and every other car you can imagine.

So, arguments or statements about, "Uh, that's why California has X car is because Y...." are just ridiculous.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:33 PM

11 posts, read 14,419 times
I feel like Mercedes-benz is a richy vibe, atleast i don't know if its still that way.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:00 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
You must be from the city

I don't go muding for fun, but to get in and out of my property in the months the snow's melting. There is no keeping a clean car/truck for those months.

Also the inevitable dings, scraps & scratches a working truck gets don't just shine up for a night on the town. My truck just got a new $1,500 aftermarket clutch, but it still proudly sits on steel rims. The money I do spend on the truck goes into performance, not looks.

Same with my KTM 300. The bike gets dropped, run into trees etc. Plastics & carbon fiber parts just don't polish up after that. I only clean it when I need to work on it, but it gets premium pre-mix and a clean air filter before each ride.

And it's not just about off road. Race your sports car or bike at the track, it's going to get beat up.

IMHO there's nothing wrong with keeping your ride clean, if that's what you're into. But I don't look at the paint when I see a nice ride in the parking lot. I look at the tires. That will tell you everything you need to know about the driver and the way the car has been driven & taken care of.
We are not even talking about those kinds of vehicles on this thread. And it don't get no countrier than Carolina my friend. We just ain't too lazy too keep our rides clean.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:34 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,811,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Theres nothing upper class about a Prius in California or anywhere else.

Please cut the BS.
a prius upper class oh god give me a break

Old 04-30-2013, 05:36 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,811,380 times
if I was to run out and buy a benz it would be an older one. the new ones look to much like an infinity or a Hyundai on the inside now adays I don't like em. I always liked the older benz over this new **** they put out.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:59 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,831,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
We are not even talking about those kinds of vehicles on this thread. And it don't get no countrier than Carolina my friend. We just ain't too lazy too keep our rides clean.
Lazy? Guess you missed that part about two miles of snow and mud to get into and out of our property. No to mention water doesn't wash so well when it's below freezing.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:01 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
if I was to run out and buy a benz it would be an older one. the new ones look to much like an infinity or a Hyundai on the inside now adays I don't like em. I always liked the older benz over this new **** they put out.
I've still got a thing for the W140, and the W220 wasn't a bad looking car either by any means. The W221 and W222 look ridiculous to me.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:16 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,560,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I've still got a thing for the W140, and the W220 wasn't a bad looking car either by any means. The W221 and W222 look ridiculous to me.
Newer MBs are built to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Some people call them new money or new credit. They have no clue what a real S class is all about. They just want to be seen in something expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive