Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 08:17 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Once again, something that sounds simple, isn't. When you say "follow the city's rulings," which ones are you referring to? The rulings that uphold the tint tickets on the grounds that the city's ordinance is legal, or the rulings that dismiss the tickets on the grounds that state vehicle code supersedes city ordinance?

They're not just ticketing Chicago residents; they're ticketing anyone who violates the city ordinance.

i knew there was a reason all those years i was in WI that i didnt like Chicago lol.

Seriously though, are they ticketing those who pass thru, even if from out of state who have legal tint where they are from? Or is it still geared towards those with IL tags?

I remember when WI tint laws were changing, some of the shops actually worked with the legislation to ensure uniformity.... seems someone up there needs to rule one way or the other or residents have no clear guideline to follow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 08:36 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
seems if one wants to get tinting done, they should find out the laws in their state and follow them if concerned about tickets. In fact most shops ive dealt with over the years have you sign a waiver if they go darker then legal.
So if one follow the laws, no worries about getting a fine. If they dont, then it's on their shoulders. Sounds pretty simple.
The simplest solution is to have no tint laws. Abhorrent revenue generation.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:58 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
I have been driving around fully tinted vehicles for about 10 years, been pulled over several times in numerous states where it is illegal and have never gotten a ticket for the tint. I was warned once that I should not have it. My "trick" is to roll all the windows down and put my hands on top of the steering wheel in plain view. The reason tint is illegal is for the safety of officer, for the most part... Prepared to get a little wet if its raining.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:03 PM

307 posts, read 685,227 times
I had mine limo dark for four years. Drove from Chicago to San Francisco and back, and in those four years, was only stopped once in South Holland and got a warning. I kept the tint on till the day I got rid of the car. I guess since the car was black it didn't stand out that much.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:08 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Get lost and take your hackneyed broken-record response with you. There are legitimate safety reasons to regulate the use of tint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
Seriously though, are they ticketing those who pass thru, even if from out of state who have legal tint where they are from? Or is it still geared towards those with IL tags?
When I say anyone I mean anyone.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,034 times
just purchased a car from the dealership it have tinted windows and I've only had it for 3weeks and just received a $250 ticket why my car was parked in front of my home is there a way I can contest it and win this is how the car came I did not ask for the tin on the windows.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:48 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
as noted there are good reasons to have tint laws regulating the darkness of the tint allowed. it would be stupid to have no tint laws, and then have people having traffic accidents at night because they decided to tint the front windshield with limo tint. if you have never experienced limo tint, then you have no idea how dark it is especially at night.

a much better idea would be to let the states set a particular standard for tint in their states, and not allow localities to set a different standard. and on top of that, remind law enforcement that tint laws in each state vary and to know those tint laws and deal accordingly.

oh and dont bother suggesting a federal standard either, i dont want to have to deal with tint laws that are to restrictive because some one in california or vermont decides that tint should be lighter than what arizona or texas allows.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:06 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by playtime4046 View Post
just purchased a car from the dealership it have tinted windows and I've only had it for 3weeks and just received a $250 ticket why my car was parked in front of my home is there a way I can contest it and win this is how the car came I did not ask for the tin on the windows.
I'll take sentence structure and punctuation for $200, Alex.

No one cares how or when the tint was put on. It's your car, it has illegal tint, end of story.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:48 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
as noted there are good reasons to have tint laws regulating the darkness of the tint allowed. it would be stupid to have no tint laws, and then have people having traffic accidents at night because they decided to tint the front windshield with limo tint. if you have never experienced limo tint, then you have no idea how dark it is especially at night.

a much better idea would be to let the states set a particular standard for tint in their states, and not allow localities to set a different standard. and on top of that, remind law enforcement that tint laws in each state vary and to know those tint laws and deal accordingly.

oh and dont bother suggesting a federal standard either, i dont want to have to deal with tint laws that are to restrictive because some one in california or vermont decides that tint should be lighter than what arizona or texas allows.
Can't believe this thread is back. Glad to see my May 6 response still here. That takes me back, for sure.

As for the thread-bumper, they bought the car, they were responsible for the tint, even though they should not have been harassed for it. The dealer may have gotten that car from another state with better tint laws.

These things happen, just have to deal with it while making tint laws reasonable instead of unreasonable.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:33 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I'll take sentence structure and punctuation for $200, Alex.

No one cares how or when the tint was put on. It's your car, it has illegal tint, end of story.
As has been pointed out several times in this thread, it's not that simple if you live in the City of Chicago, which I suspect is where the person you're responding to lives. The city has decided it has the right to create its own vehicle equipment ordinances that differ from state uniform vehicle equipment laws, the legality of which is very much in dispute. Adding to the confusion is that administrative hearing officers hearing the ticket disputes have been very much split on whether the city can cite those whose tint is legal by state law but not by city ordinance.

This thread really should be in the Chicago forum since the laws and ordinances are Chicago- and Illinois-specific. I believe it originally was before it got moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive