Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 04:36 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,695,036 times

Advertisements

id go from NY City to Atlanta to visit my brother in a 73 Dodge Monaco Brougham 2 door hardtop with a 360 V8. 892 miles each way. at 13 mpg averaged on a 300 mpg trip how much $$ in todays dollars would i spend for this 1800 mile round trip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 07:47 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
I'd love to drive down to Florida in a Ford Flex. I'm not a Ford fan by any stretch but that car seems to be a throwback to simpler times of highway cruising and it avoids the cookie cutter bulkiness of most SUVs.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:39 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
A full sized conversion van. They do not make a more comfortable vehicle.

Road trips are a lot more fun with a lot of people along.

My next plan for a road trip is to leave Michigan and go through kentucky and tennesse to South Carolina. Stay a day in Charleston, then spend some time in Beaaufort and Savannah. Down into florida and visit The Dinsney complex of tourist traps, the Disney city, on down to Key West (find some cool things to visit along the way). Rest iN Key West a bit and come back up on the West Coast of florida visiting some friends along the way. Investigate the Alabama beach areas and whatever else in Alabama appears worthwhile. THen on to New Orleans. Spend a couple of days there and up to Franklin tennesse to visit friends. Maybe spend some time in Nashville. Then up through Kentucky with a stop at Cave city (I never tire of mammoth cave tours) and finally back home. Probaly 15 days.

Next one, either drive to Oregon, or more likely fly out and buy a car. POke around Oregon for a while and then up to seattle to visit relatives and friends and see more of the city. Then up through canada to Alaska. Spend maybe a week exploring alaska and sell the car and fly home. (Or if we drove to ORegon then drive home through Northern or middle Canada).

That woudl leave me with only Hawaii to see. Not likely I will get to do a road trip to hawaii. Not unless cars change a lot first.

There are some states I woudl like to see more of and spend more time in, especially Pennsylvania.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 05-14-2013 at 09:48 AM..

Old 05-14-2013, 09:50 AM

205 posts, read 729,948 times
Best long distance hauler I ever drove was my NSX - comfortable, fast, economical. Unfortunately, it would also attract undue attention from LEO's although was never ticketed. It's the only car I ever owned where my wife and I could make the trip from Virginia to West Palm Beach in one day.

Now when we travel for fun, we do it in a 94 Miata and just take our time. If we absolutely have to get somewhere quickly, we do it in her Accord. If gas, insurance and costs was on someone else, a Veyron just so I could say I did

Old 05-14-2013, 03:44 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,862,528 times
My '05 DeVille with 40K miles on it does very well, plenty of room, A/C seats and good milage, 26-28 on the interstate. Nice to have that Northstar when going up a steep grade.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:29 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,614,714 times
In my Infiniti out west via I94 to Washington then down PCH through California then to Grand Canyon and White Sands then on up through America's Heartland.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:08 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,112,304 times
Porsche. PCH. Nuff said.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:44 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,704,014 times
I've typed a few Word documents that have my "fantasy" roadtrips on them. For a choice of vehicle, I'd easily pick my current Corvette convertible or possibly...if given the opportunity, a Mercedes SL550 might be a practical choice.

Starting out in Scottsdale go north through the mountains to Flagstaff, head east to Santa Fe, continue on to Amarillo making my way to Dallas to visit my brother, head south down to Baton Rouge and New Orleans, continue to Miama then start driving up the Atlantic coast to Savannah and Charleston, go as far east as Washington D.C. before heading back west through Virginia to Louisville heading to St. Louis and Kansas City before curving north up to Sioux Falls and making my way through the Black Hills by Rapid City then up to Billings and continuing through the mountains of Montana heading to Seattle then starting to make my way home through Portland and the Pacific Coast going through Northern California, San Fran, San Jose then curving off east towards Las Vegas then curving back toward the coast to Los Angeles then San Diego and finally heading back to Phoenix/Scottsdale.

In my opinion...this roadtrip over a span of 3 months would be a blast! Sigh...maybe when I retire in another 25 years...

Old 05-15-2013, 06:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Unlimited road trip would be to cross the Continent by the diagonals. Start from St. Johns, Canada to San Diego, California then the Pacific Coast Highway to Vancouver. Then jog east to Banff, CA and north to Alaska. After returning to Vancouver cross the country to Key West and take the mountain route back to New Hampshire by late summer. Then head back to New Mexico to winter over in the sun instead of the snow.

My choice of vehicle would be a resto rodded (bigger brakes, improved suspension, LS-3 engine, sound system, etc.) 1995 Buick Roadmaster wagon. I had one of these and was very pleased. It would do everything reasonably well and was very good on the super slab as well as forest dirt roads. Another car I think would be superb for mountain viewing and other scenic drives would be an old American Motors Pacer. The glass roof would give great visibility. The rest of the car would have to be heavily modified to be barely acceptable on today’s roads and traffic.

In reality I expect to take my 650 Burgman scooter from NH to Nova Scotia late this summer with a possible trip to Newfoundland next year. I like to drive but this bike is more fun.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:20 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,947,964 times
Well, I'm on a trip right now (about half road, half "other"). While it's certainly not my dream trip, I could use some advice...

So I took Amtrak from Maricopa, AZ (Phoenix area) to Little Rock, AR. Stayed in Little Rock for a week, then flew in a small plane to southern Mississippi. Visited my grandparents, picked up my car (a 2007 Mazdaspeed6 that I left down there last year, and haven't bothered to pick up). I've made it as far as Starkville, MS right now to visit some friends. Running into a choice, though -- do I start making my way back west (through Memphis, Little Rock, Dallas, El Paso, Tucson, then up to Phoenix), or do I make the trip longer? Longer would involve going to Helen, GA for a big car show this weekend, visiting the Tail of the Dragon on the way out, then going through Little Rock, Dallas, etc back to Phoenix.

Now for my dream trip -- The latest Porsche 911, with the 7 speed manual. Start in Berlin. Zig-zag through Germany, visiting friends in Hamburg and Frankfurt, as well as visiting the Nürburgring, Stuttgart, and Munich. From there, do a loop of Austria, going through Salzburg, Vienna, Graz, Klagenfurt, then over to Innsbruck (cutting across northern Italy, in order to hit the Stelvio Pass). Stick to the German speaking countries, going through Lichtenstein then into Switzerland. Go through Zurich, Berne, and Geneva, entering into the south of France. Make my way to Nice and Monaco, avoiding main highways. Find the Col de Turini while I'm there. After some time spent in south France, make a motorway sprint up to the English Channel, and shoot across to England. Work my way up Great Britain, spending good time in London, and ending in the Scottish Highlands. Make my way down towards Liverpool, and take the ferry over to Isle of Man. After that, ferry to Dublin, and work my way down Ireland to County Cork, visiting the Blarney Stone, and my aunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive