Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 01:03 PM

359 posts, read 780,022 times

Advertisements

I'd like to to do a San Diego to Vancouver and assuming I am with one more person, choose one of the big body Germans.
Probably a S600 or an Alpina B7.

If I am with family, I would choose a GL550.

If I was doing it all alone, I would choose an M5.

I would have choose the CTS-V, but the S class 7 series is far better.
I would have choosethe Escalade, but the GL550 has a far more comprehensive suite of technology.
I would have choosen the Corvette, but the M5 suspension is far better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 02:51 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,225,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgto View Post

I would have choosethe Escalade, but the GL550 has a far more comprehensive suite of technology.
All merits of your latter choices are nullified by the high probability that not one of them could complete a significant (multi thousand mile) roadtrip nearly as reliably as your former choices. Better make sure there are MB and BMW dealerships directly on your route at no more than 300 mile intervals

Old 05-15-2013, 03:04 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,702,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgto View Post

It's a roadtrip...you know the open road, the wind in your hair, stopping at small town cafes and taking in nature's beauty. Who the hell wants to drive a sedan or lumbering SUV?! Who needs a "suite of technology" on a roadtrip? People have been taking them since they became largely popular in the 1950's...I'm pretty sure nobody cared about a "suite of technology" back then.

Your kind of roadtrip doesn't sound very fun...you seem to distracted to even enjoy what a roadtrip should be. Give me my convertible, a small suitcase, and some time off from work and I could have one hell of a good time just touring the grandeur of America. Leave all the frills and techno-junk behind and hit the open road.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:21 PM

205 posts, read 729,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
Well, I'm on a trip right now (about half road, half "other"). While it's certainly not my dream trip, I could use some advice...

So I took Amtrak from Maricopa, AZ (Phoenix area) to Little Rock, AR. Stayed in Little Rock for a week, then flew in a small plane to southern Mississippi. Visited my grandparents, picked up my car (a 2007 Mazdaspeed6 that I left down there last year, and haven't bothered to pick up). I've made it as far as Starkville, MS right now to visit some friends. Running into a choice, though -- do I start making my way back west (through Memphis, Little Rock, Dallas, El Paso, Tucson, then up to Phoenix), or do I make the trip longer? Longer would involve going to Helen, GA for a big car show this weekend, visiting the Tail of the Dragon on the way out, then going through Little Rock, Dallas, etc back to Phoenix.

Ever been on the Dragon before? If not, it's a must do. I've been to Miatas at the Gap for eight years straight and will miss it. I'd take the route less traveled whenever possible and extend your trip unless there are pressing needs to get home.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:02 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,154,499 times
Brunswick, Main to San Diego, California. Just using routes and back roads, no time limit, just take it at whatever pace I fancy.

As to the car of choice? A series 1 Jaguar E-Type 4.2 convertible please just like this one.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:48 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times
My choice for a road trip would be a pre-1977 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine.

Elegance, class, style, comfort and roominess all in one!

The one below is a 1970...

Old 05-16-2013, 09:37 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,614,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
Well, I'm on a trip right now (about half road, half "other"). While it's certainly not my dream trip, I could use some advice...

So I took Amtrak from Maricopa, AZ (Phoenix area) to Little Rock, AR. Stayed in Little Rock for a week, then flew in a small plane to southern Mississippi. Visited my grandparents, picked up my car (a 2007 Mazdaspeed6 that I left down there last year, and haven't bothered to pick up). I've made it as far as Starkville, MS right now to visit some friends. Running into a choice, though -- do I start making my way back west (through Memphis, Little Rock, Dallas, El Paso, Tucson, then up to Phoenix), or do I make the trip longer? Longer would involve going to Helen, GA for a big car show this weekend, visiting the Tail of the Dragon on the way out, then going through Little Rock, Dallas, etc back to Phoenix.
Believe me, you want to experience "Tail of the Dragon." It's awesome and you'll love it. Also try the Cherohala Skyway while your up there, it's just as fun and not as busy as the Tail or the Blue Ridge Parkway in my opinion.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:58 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,778 times
We are currently driving the AlCan from Alaska through Canada to Northern lower Michigan. Having experienced weather and road conditions I would choose a Mercedes 4x4 sprinter RV conversion. Firstly for the excellent mpg but driving in the Yukon you really need 4wd especially with the frost heaves (some are carefully disguised as small canyons)

Sprinter RV: 4×4 Sprinters Here at Last

Old 05-17-2013, 09:54 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
My choice for a road trip would be a pre-1977 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine.

I would chose this for a road trip if I were dead. It would be an ideal road trip car for a dead person.

I might want a convertible though. Even dead, it woudl be nice to have the wind in your hair.

alive if I were by myself instead of with family, I might like to try it on a motorcycle. Otherwise a roadster. Maybe a freshly restored/rebuilt Jensen Healey or TR 3 if I had some nice earphones.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:55 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post

Yesssss!
And you can sleep in the trunk and save some money on lodging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive