Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 01:49 PM

787 posts, read 781,894 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago I was coming home from softball and ended up hitting a piece of plastic on the road while merging onto the highway. When I got into the middle lane I immediately saw it, but at that point it was too late. It was unavoidable since there was traffic in the right and left lanes. Luckily, I didn't try to avoid it because I could have caused an accident. Sometimes these things happen.

Anyways, I went to a body shop my sister used a year ago. They've done really good work. When I went in for an estimate the guy said I needed my front bumper replaced since the damage was in a place that couldn't be repaired effectively without replacing the bumper. I opted for the OEM bumper since I've read online aftermarket parts tend to show gaps and bow if the temperature fluctuates. I didn't want to go aftermarket and then wish I had gone with OEM.

So after mom dropped me off I had to find the guy who wrote up my paper work. Then he conveniently mentions the credit card machine is down. He thought he “told me” when I called earlier today to see if my car was ready. I told him he did not mention this.

I had to drive down to the nearest bank, withdraw the money via ATM, come back, and pay with cash.

This whole process felt really shady, but my sister used them. The only difference is my sister went through insurance, I did not. The cost to replace my front bumper was about the same as my deductible so I didn't want to get insurance involved and potentially have my rates increase.

The work he did was really good though. It looks like nothing ever happened. I am just not sure why he conveniently told me the credit card machine was down when I was dropped off. I understand credit card companies charge a 2-4% fee per transaction. I looked up the part number on the invoice and it’s a genuine Honda part. Maybe I am over analyzing.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 01:59 PM

805 posts, read 1,873,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Slugger View Post
The work he did was really good though. It looks like nothing ever happened......What do you think?
I understand your frustration but as you are happy with the work I would move on....life is too short.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:07 PM

787 posts, read 781,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
I understand your frustration but as you are happy with the work I would move on....life is too short.
Exactly my feelings. I have no way of officially knowing it's an OEM part unless I pull off the bumper and look for some serial number or badge of authentication right? Unless it's obvious some other way. I worry about him ordering an aftermarket part and charging me for an OEM part.

Oh well, like you said, life is too short to worry about things like this.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:02 PM

17,326 posts, read 22,081,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Slugger View Post
Exactly my feelings. I have no way of officially knowing it's an OEM part unless I pull off the bumper and look for some serial number or badge of authentication right? Unless it's obvious some other way. I worry about him ordering an aftermarket part and charging me for an OEM part.

Oh well, like you said, life is too short to worry about things like this.
Bigger concern would be that he actually fixed the original bumper cover!

As far as cash vs. credit card......he avoided the fees and got paid in cash (best of both worlds!)

Old 08-08-2014, 07:22 AM

568 posts, read 2,421,244 times
Maybe the credit card machine was actually down? I've worked for a small business before and we had issues with the credit card on more than one occasion. These companies that small businesses use for their credit card machine systems aren't always the most reliable.

Your sister used the shop with good results. You used the shop and got good results. You got your car fixed. The shop got paid. The world is good again. Move on.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:31 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,770,613 times
And if the bumper falls off you can't dispute the charges. Never pay for services like this in cash. Wait for the cc machine. He saved about two percent on merchant fees, did he pass that savings on to you?

Old 08-09-2014, 04:08 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Did you ask if he would take a personal check?

Old 08-09-2014, 11:00 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,024,007 times
I can see where this would have been an annoyance when paying, but other than that it sounds like your fully satisfied. So don't sweat it.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:59 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,568,864 times
My wife's CRV has had the front bumper replaced after an accident with an aftermarket one and it looks like new. No gaps at all. I now have to replace the rear bumper cover and will save myself over $120 by going aftermarket. Nothing wrong with aftermarket now.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:07 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,216,042 times
Did they provide an invoice and warranty the work? If so, don't sweat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive