Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 06:00 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times

Advertisements

why not the sports honda fit they are safety rated well with cargo space also
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 06:16 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
I get the appeal of having a large solid beater like a Crown Vic, but geez, give the kid something smaller so he can at least have a shot at NOT bumping it into stuff! The last thing a new driver needs is a gargantuan car (or pickup/SUV for that matter) when they're just getting a feel for driving. Also the last thing the rest of us drivers need is a new driver in a huge car unfamiliar with its dimensional limits on top of everything else. Size is not the best thing for safety. BRAINS is the best thing for safety. And maneuverability so that you DON'T hit something.

Moderate sized is probably best route. I'd put the maximum size in the Accord/Camry range, although those are a lot larger than what I learned on. My first learning cars were a 1982 Accord (today's Civic is larger if I remember right) and a 1984 VW Rabbit. Stick shifts both, that was a great thing too because I'll never forget how to drive those. Recommended the stick shift if you can do it.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:02 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Kid turning 16.

-Looking for something gently used that will last for 8 years or so.
-Gas mileage isn't important, won't get a ton of miles put on it.
-Looking for something that is at least moderately sized for safety.
-Thinking of spending 8k but have some flex there if I need to go higher.
-Nothing with egregious repair costs \ notorious reliability

These are my initial thoughts but keeping an open mind as to deviating from this intial list.

Open to any and all input. Thanks in advance.
Don't buy the kid a car outright as a gift. Don't do it. Make the kid put some money up front, some sweat equity, something.

At the same time, give the kid some input as to what they want.

Probably pick something from Consumer Reports' list of "good" used cars.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:03 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I get the appeal of having a large solid beater like a Crown Vic, but geez, give the kid something smaller so he can at least have a shot at NOT bumping it into stuff! The last thing a new driver needs is a gargantuan car (or pickup/SUV for that matter) when they're just getting a feel for driving. Also the last thing the rest of us drivers need is a new driver in a huge car unfamiliar with its dimensional limits on top of everything else. Size is not the best thing for safety. BRAINS is the best thing for safety. And maneuverability so that you DON'T hit something.

Moderate sized is probably best route. I'd put the maximum size in the Accord/Camry range, although those are a lot larger than what I learned on. My first learning cars were a 1982 Accord (today's Civic is larger if I remember right) and a 1984 VW Rabbit. Stick shifts both, that was a great thing too because I'll never forget how to drive those. Recommended the stick shift if you can do it.
And Fleet's apearance in this thread to derail it by droning on and on comparing measurments of todays cars to the years of his favorite, and continually referenceing how what we find big he finds mid size in... 5.....4....3.....2....

Old 06-03-2013, 07:50 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
8 years for a first car? Seriously, you expect a 16-year-old to stay committed to a car for 8 years?

Or is the 16-year-old just the first of a few first-time drivers coming along in the family? That would make sense.

Regardless, I tend to be old school on this subject. A kid's first car should be a cheap POS. And by POS I don't mean unsafe or unreliable, just something cheap enough that nobody is out much if it gets torn up. After 6 months to a year driving the beater without destroying it let him or her trade up to something nicer.

I'd second the Crown Vic suggestion. It's an old, established platform, nothing state of the art that has to go back to the dealership for service, very reliable, very safe, typically low initial cost, decent gas mileage for a big car. Plus a trunk big enough to hold two kegs. Wait, forget I said that......

A truck makes a great first car, too. When I was in school a hundred years ago a lot of the kids drove pickups because the insurance was generally less expensive for a teen driver, no idea if that's still the case or not. Again, if this is an option, go for a later model of an older platform as there's a better chance that any bugs in the initial design will have been worked out.
Yes. First kid of the crew so the car will be passed around.

The kid in question is very mature so I don't have a problem spending a little more the first time out and not having to deal with an additional purchase in a year.

I will check out the crown vic suggestion, also the older jeeps are nice. Pick-ups are a good suggestion but we need the extra seating.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:53 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Don't buy the kid a car outright as a gift. Don't do it. Make the kid put some money up front, some sweat equity, something.

At the same time, give the kid some input as to what they want.

Probably pick something from Consumer Reports' list of "good" used cars.
The kid is essentially buying it with their own money.

Their sweat equity has been in their academics and overall responsibility. This isn't just buying a car for some spoiled brat type thing.

They will definitely get input, I'm using this to put together a general list to give us a starting point.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:45 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
What does your teen WANT? Truck, SUV, Coupe, Sedan, Wagon?
It shouldn't matter what the teen wants. They often want a Mustang convertible.

Although there are good mechanical reasons for choosing a Crown Vic, I think the car is too big. New drivers rarely know where the four corners of a car are. And a car the size of a Crown Vic will likely get many little nicks on the corners. And just as bad - those nicks will impact other cars in the school parking lot or wherever the new driver goes.

I think high center of gravity vehicles are a poor choice too. No Jeeps, small pickups, or high ground clearance SUVs. I would choose a vehicle with solid safety ratings and buy ABS if possible.

Ford Focus or Fusion
Mazda3 or Mazda 6
Chevy Malibu
Hyundai Sonata
Honda Element
Honda Civic or Accord
Toyota Camry or Corolla
Nissan Altima or Sentra

Old 06-04-2013, 08:46 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
You can find previous generation Malibus ('11-'12 models) pretty cheap. Safe, reliable, and decent looking in the LT trim.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:59 AM

1,716 posts, read 3,584,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yes. First kid of the crew so the car will be passed around.

The kid in question is very mature so I don't have a problem spending a little more the first time out and not having to deal with an additional purchase in a year.

I will check out the crown vic suggestion, also the older jeeps are nice. Pick-ups are a good suggestion but we need the extra seating.
Also consider the Grand Marquis as it is pretty much the same car as the Crown Vic. Town Car is good too if you are willing to spend a little more.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:01 AM

1,716 posts, read 3,584,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
No 16 year old kid is gonna want to drive a Crown Vic.

A 4cyl Camry is probably the most reliable and safe used car that you're going to get. I'd look for an SE version so at least it's a little sporty looking.

Honda Civic and Mazda 3 are also good options.
I'm 17 and am going to get a Grand Marquis or Town Car next year. Not everyone wants a cheap econo-box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive