Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 04:30 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,402,823 times

Advertisements

Does anyone think the yellow lights are lasting a shorter period of time? Possibly on the lights with red light cameras?

Friday I went through 3 red lights with cameras. The yellow light must have lasted half as long as normal. Each time I thought I had plenty of time. After that I just stopped, or tried to.

My Jeep is having issues and it was raining so if I get a ticket I get a ticket. Better to keep going than to spin out in circles in an intersection!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 07:13 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,139,512 times
This is a common complaint of red light cameras. Generally, when the yellow light is set to a sensible timing the revenues plunge. You can thank all the payola being allocated to your local law enforcement for their popularity.

Some towns fight back...

http://www.lccamscam.com/

Old 06-09-2013, 07:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,455,155 times
There were some in nearby Redmond, WA but they took them out after finding that people either sped up to beat the red on yellow, or stopped short and got rear-ended.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:58 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,040,935 times
I always thought the standard should be universal on a yellow light--based on the time it takes a 100,000 pound tractor-trailer that is going along at the speed limit to comfortably come to a complete stop.

Of course, I'd rather have rotaries than traffic lights anyway. It's much easier, and much safer, to slow down and look for a gap, than it is to choose between gunning it or slamming on the breaks when a light turns yellow. Not to mention that there is no way they could put up a ticket camera!

Old 06-09-2013, 08:26 AM

19,103 posts, read 27,696,540 times
We don't think, we KNOW.
According to NTSA regulation, yellow lights were changed to 3 seconds on intersections governed with cameras. Why, they did not care to rationalize, and the reason I know this is because of an article in Seattle Times.
Used to be 6 seconds, or even 9. I have little doubt THEY came up with some sort of "scientific" explanation to why this was done but, loud and clear, it will nab you with fine much faster now.
Also, in my humble opinion, as MANY intersections are physically impossible to cross in 3 seconds at normal morning traffic speeds, a driver learns to keep one eye on the street light approaching such an intersection, to NOT enter it on yellow. As a result, such a driver may slam on brakes right before the intersection, being rear ended by a driver behind him.
It all went from "beating the yellow" to "avoiding the yellow".

Old 06-09-2013, 09:36 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,693,641 times
In light of the recent IRS scandel we now know for sure the Gov. will do anything it wants be it local or federal,thats my OP

Old 06-09-2013, 10:24 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,411,278 times
3 seconds here in Chicago but gosh it feels shorter

Old 06-09-2013, 11:18 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,213,731 times
Hi fans and ladys .How can a car enter and leave an intersection in 3 seconds? Some intersections are much wider than others.The amount of time the yellow stays on should be the same at every intersection.I know some traffic patterns require the length of the red and green to vary but the yellow light should always remain the same.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:24 AM

550 posts, read 1,284,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
I always thought the standard should be universal on a yellow light--based on the time it takes a 100,000 pound tractor-trailer that is going along at the speed limit to comfortably come to a complete stop.

Of course, I'd rather have rotaries than traffic lights anyway. It's much easier, and much safer, to slow down and look for a gap, than it is to choose between gunning it or slamming on the breaks when a light turns yellow. Not to mention that there is no way they could put up a ticket camera!
I can't give you rep right now but if I could I would. You are exactly right on everything you said.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:17 PM

501 posts, read 802,487 times
I was recently told that even if you stop at the red light with the cameras but over the line, the camera is still going to snap the picture and it will be treated as you ran the red light even though you did not. I have seen the cameras take pictures when people go over the white line at some lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive