Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,690 times

Advertisements

I have a very well used 1994 Honda Accord which isn't worth the $400-$600 to fix the A/C that stopped working due to a failed clutch. (That's a "sparks and smoke" failure!) No one will just replace the clutch cuz it requires special tools no one has. I'm told it's a compressor replacement (even though the compressor works) which in turn requires bleeding and afterward replenishing the Freon.

Being the "can do" person that I am, my question is if I can just jam the dam' clutch and thus have the a/c compressor run 100% of the time the engine is running? Or will that build up too much pressure (as someone admonished me) and if so how? And/or is there any other "cheep" fix anyone can recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 08:10 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Are you sure the gap just doesn't need to be shimmed

Old 06-15-2013, 09:02 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
Which engine do you have? If you have the 2.2L, Rockauto has the clutch itself for $64.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:02 AM

664 posts, read 1,036,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbrown View Post
I have a very well used 1994 Honda Accord which isn't worth the $400-$600 to fix the A/C that stopped working due to a failed clutch. (That's a "sparks and smoke" failure!) No one will just replace the clutch cuz it requires special tools no one has. I'm told it's a compressor replacement (even though the compressor works) which in turn requires bleeding and afterward replenishing the Freon.

Being the "can do" person that I am, my question is if I can just jam the dam' clutch and thus have the a/c compressor run 100% of the time the engine is running? Or will that build up too much pressure (as someone admonished me) and if so how? And/or is there any other "cheep" fix anyone can recommend?
No, without a fan running at all times it will freeze up in a similar fashion as an A-coil in your home with a dirty filter, bad blower motor, dirty A-coil, dirty recoup cell on a 90%+.

So unless you want to run your fan all the time it won't work.

That clutch helps equalize the suction line (vapor) and high side (liquid) pressure as well on the compressor.

134A is more temperamental then R12 as well.

Don't Jerry rig it.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:53 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
No, an air conditioning compressor needs to cycle on/off. As the temperature at the coils inside the car (called evaporator) get close to freezing temperature, the compressor needs to shut off - otherwise those coils will freeze up - then air will no longer flow through them - the car will then get hot.

Also there are a couple of safety mechanisms. If the compressor gets to be too hot, it will automatically disengage the clutch - preventing a melt down. And if the refrigerant pressure on the high side gets to be too high, that will also cause the clutch to disengage (preventing the lines from bursting!)

Then the next question is WHY did the clutch go out? Was the system overcharged with refrigerant? Were safety switches bypassed?

Bottom line: Best to fix it right or not at all.

So far as cost, how much will a new (used) car cost?
How much to fix the A/C?

Which is less expensive?

Last edited by Billy_J; 06-15-2013 at 11:50 AM..

Old 06-15-2013, 11:43 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,563,140 times
Do it!

Old 06-15-2013, 12:55 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Then the next question is WHY did the clutch go out?
A/C clutches wear out over time. If you live in a hot southern state where the a/c is on most of the year, after you get to a 100k miles, it's fairly common for them to go out. I've had to replace 3 of them on different cars that were all high mileage.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:44 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Special tool to take clutch out? Sure? Or simply milking customer?

Old 06-15-2013, 09:07 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Special tool to take clutch out? Sure? Or simply milking customer?
Probably snap ring pliers and possibly a puller? Even if you can't get a new clutch, maybe you can find a used compressor with a clutch from a salvage yard and pull the clutch from it for your car. You can test it easily by attaching it to a battery and see if it engages and releases properly. Look on Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market for a salvage yard in your area.

Good luck!

Old 07-15-2014, 08:52 PM

8 posts, read 33,707 times
Do not know about a Honda , but on a Chevy , you can " borrow " the tools needed . You basically put up a deposit = to the purchase price of the tools . Bring the tools back in good condition & you receive your deposit back . Check AutoZone , O'Reilly auto parts or Advance Auto Parts .

Do a search on youtube for videos for your brand of car & compressor .

God bless
Wyr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive