Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 07:26 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,160,611 times

Advertisements

Is it me, or do people just not use turn signals anymore? It's just common courtesy really. If you're way down the road and I want to turn left and you're going to slow down and turn right, it would be really nice if you signaled so I knew you were slowing down and I can turn. It's rude and just causes more traffic backups. I know I know, I'm not going to blindly believe they are going to turn, but there are several intersections here where you can turn left off of high speed roads and if people in the right lane coming from the other direction would use their signal, it would make life a lot easier.

And on the highway, if you're going to cut me off because you just HAVE to get over for some unknown reason, at least do me the courtesy of using your signal instead of just darting over 2 inches in front of me like I'm not even there, and then proceed to go under the posted limit and never turn or exit, thus proving you didn't even need to get over in the first place. It's really irritating.

Let's not even get into merging... here's a hint, people may be more apt to let you in if you make your intentions know via your turn signal!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 07:43 AM

43 posts, read 133,423 times
I use them not only to be courteous, but mainly because I really don't want to be hit. I wish bad driving in the U.S. was enforced the way it is in Germany. It's so much more pleasant to drive there. Those that have done so know what I'm talking about.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:47 AM

132 posts, read 182,592 times
Just part of the decline of driving "skills" and common courtesy in this country. Many of these morons are probably texting to another moron, so they need three arms.
I've gotten used to no signal on right turns, but it's now more prevalent on left turns as well.
Bottom line, it is FAR too easy to get a driver's license in the ole US of A. Driving is a privelege, NOT a right!

Old 06-19-2013, 07:50 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,479,506 times
I hardly ever see them used anymore. For the most part, I've notice the left on on the wheel, right hand on the phone, no hand for the turn signal.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:06 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Oh look, another thread about turn signals. I guess the 48393586345980598 existing threads about turn signals and other driving annoyances weren't enough.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:08 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alte hornise View Post
Just part of the decline of driving "skills" and common courtesy in this country.
It's been the same complaint for 50 years. If City Data forum was around in the 1950s, someone would have posted a thread on rude drivers not using their signals.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:10 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,216 times
While we're on the subject, let's also mention that a turn signal represents the future tense, not the present.

That is, you are telling other drivers what you intend to do. You know, in advance, ahead of time, prior to, beforehand... It is not a useful signal if it only comes on after you've already begun to hit the brakes to turn, or you're already half-way over into my lane.

Point 2; your turn signal does not give you the right of way! You must still yield to whomever is already in the lane you are merging into or crossing over beforehand.

Part 3: Not having a blinker on at all is also a signal; you are signalling to other drivers that you intend to continue straight on. Don't be surprised if others take your lack of a turn signal to mean just that.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:19 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Especially on highways, turn signals are a courtesy like "please let me in, thank you" instead of haha I'm sliding in front of you because I can. On local roads, they are vital to people driving behind you.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:20 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times
Topics we've discussed a million times in the past, Why haven't you searched for them?

Old 06-19-2013, 08:22 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,484,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Topics we've discussed a million times in the past, Why haven't you searched for them?
Nothing wrong with a fresh perspective. You are not required to post here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive