Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 08:23 AM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times

Advertisements

While I agree that far too few people use their turn signals, or use them far enough before they begin their turn, let us not forget that there are also far too many people who ride for long distances with their turn signal activated. My theory is that these folks are either elderly drivers who are hard of hearing (and who don't bother to look at the dashboard indicators often enough), or they are younger drivers who have their audio system turned up to such a high volume that they can't hear the audible clicking noise of the flasher.

If you don't think that unintended turn signals are a problem, consider this scenario:

My brother was trying to cross a street, and when he saw a driver signaling that he intended to turn into the side street just prior to where my brother was attempting to cross the street, that was my brother's signal to cross the street. Unfortunately, the driver continued driving straight ahead, and struck my brother, sending him flying several feet. Although the ER X-rays revealed no injuries other than abrasions and contusions, the shock of being summoned to the ER by the police was a bit traumatic for my parents.

And, in case you might think that this is just one more story of modern-day inept drivers, I want to point out that this incident took place in 1958 or 1959, so...drivers were not necessarily more skilled back in, "The Good Old Days"...

Bringing this situation up to the present day, there is a "T" intersection (without a traffic light) near my house, and I frequently have to make a left turn at that intersection. After having very close calls on two occasions with cars whose turn signal indicated that they were turning, but--instead continued straight ahead--I have learned to be very skeptical of what a turn signal indicates. Hesitating until that other driver actually begins to make his turn is what I now do, in order to prevent a repeat of those two prior close calls.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 08:27 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,257,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Nothing wrong with a fresh perspective. You are not required to post here.
Its better to bump an old thread, rather then start a new one about the same topic. Its a part of forums 101. There is no "fresh perspective" Its the same thing every single time, some one complaining about how some one else is driving. Enough all ready, we get it.... People speed, people either drive too fast or two slow in the left lane, no one uses their blinkers.....

Old 06-19-2013, 08:30 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,486,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Its better to bump an old thread, rather then start a new one about the same topic. Its a part of forums 101.
Well so long as you keep posting in this one, it will stay bumped.

Also, this is one of the few forums I partake in that does not mind old threads being bumped. A lot would rather have someone start a new thread, if further discussion is required.

When I say old, anything older than 6 months.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:31 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,104,199 times
My theory: some people refuse to use their turn signals under the flag of "nobody kin tell ME what t'do!"
In other words: idiots.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:32 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,827,353 times
I used to think that people who did not use their turn signals were simply dumb....but I came to the conclusion that some are just plain sneaky and want to get the jump on you...also- having passed on that theory - it is more about just not giving a damn about anyone...It is mostly the selfish self absorbed driver that neglects to give warning...Signaling is just that- Having the courtesy and care to communicate...."Get ready - I am about to change lanes or turn or stop...I care about my fellow human so I am thinking of you" If you are going to drive...play by the rules in full or don't drive....It's just like pedestrians that I see who will walk against a red light.....even if the road is clear you WAIT...you either obey the law in full or not at all.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:46 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crtfour View Post
I wish bad driving in the U.S. was enforced the way it is in Germany.
Why would you want bad driving enforced? Here in the Land of the Free we don't need to be forced to drive bad. We do it freely.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:53 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,163,182 times
I actually did search and at a glance didn't see one, so sorry about that.

I've seen a steady decline in usage over time. Although many have said it in jest, I really do think many people do have one hand on the wheel and one on their phone so there isn't a hand to signal or give a damn about anyone else.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:56 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
If you're way down the road and I want to turn left and you're going to slow down and turn right, it would be really nice if you signaled so I knew you were slowing down and I can turn.
Conversely, I never trust somebody's turn signals. I never go ahead of a person flashing, assuming that they will slow down or stop or turn. I wait until I am sure that are going to do what their flashers say they intend to do, before I assume I can go ahead. Just because a person is signalling, you do not yet "know" they are going to slow down.

I walk a lot, and I cross major streets. There is no way I am going to step out off the curb when somebody is coming down the road with their turn signals on.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:08 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Its better to bump an old thread, rather then start a new one about the same topic. Its a part of forums 101. There is no "fresh perspective" Its the same thing every single time, some one complaining about how some one else is driving. Enough all ready, we get it.... People speed, people either drive too fast or two slow in the left lane, no one uses their blinkers.....
If you bump an old thread, you get lambasted for bringing up something that is so old. If you start a new thread, you get lambasted for starting a thread on a subject that was already discussed at length.

the only solution is to ignore the lambasters.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:08 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,857,927 times
I always use turn signals, even at night when there isn't another car anywhere near me, and I even use them in our apartment parking lot................just habit. But even the police, who are supposed to be setting an example don't use them any more. I have followed numerous city and Sheriff's cars and they will be making turns or changing lanes and rarely use them. Funny how they can use that as a reason to pull us over but they do the same thing.

I have felt like pulling up to one of those cop offenders at a light and telling them that little lever on the steering column is supposed to be used occasionally, but I know how that would go over ! But if I am following someone and suddenly they slow way down and start turning without a signal I do blow the horn at them. Not sure if it does any good, but it makes me feel better.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive