Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 08:57 PM

21 posts, read 42,463 times

Advertisements

Basically, I'll wake up one morning and discover brand new scratched on my Altima. And it's a black car so it's pretty noticeable.

I'd it the car washes? What can I do to keep it looking brand new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 09:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Use a really good multi-stage polish on it like Mother's California Gold. This is why I never go to the drive-through car wash. Most cars have scratches, but with the primer and bare metal being a light color, they show up most on black.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:06 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,471,789 times
that's why I got a silver car, has some scratches on it but I can only see them if I basically put my eye against the car

black does look amazing when clean though

Old 06-27-2013, 10:07 PM

528 posts, read 823,829 times
With the exception of two maybe three vehicles I have always preferred light colored car, usually white. This past February
I purchased my first black car and it is quite a challenge keeping it looking it's best. I have gone through an automatic car wash maybe three times in the past five years and that was with a car (white) that I was leasing at the time. My black Crossfire will never be put through an automatic car wash. I use the do it yourself 25 cent bays with no brushes. Soap it up real good, hand wash it with the softest rag or micro fiber towel /you can find and rinse it off. Dry it off with the plushest and softest towel you have. I try and wax and polish my vehicles three times a year November, March and July. In between I use a California Duster to remove dust and other airborne dirt. After that I wipe down the vehicle with a spray detailers. There are even spray detailers and waxes made just for black cars.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:22 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Stay away fro car washes, and if you would like your black vehicle to look as good as my 11 year old pickup, you need to think not only about waxing, but claying as well.

Bob.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:53 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
You need to use glaze before waxing, that's what fills in all of those spider web scratches that you see in the sun.

Claying will not help scratches one bit.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:56 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
I worked at a body shop at one time in my life. When we were done fixing the body on a black car we would not park it outside until the owner was on his way to pick it up. If it sat too long we had to bring it back in and detail it again as it would start to develop marks from dust getting on it. I am not talking about leaving it outside a long time, but just a little while.

My 23 T was gloss black and luckily it had few flat horizontal surfaces so I was able to keep it pretty nice. But if it got dust on it I first blew it off with an airhose then used spray detailer and a microfiber towel to clean it. Black looks great but is a bear to keep nice.

Don

Old 06-27-2013, 11:05 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
One of my vehicles is a black Honda Accord, I swear that thing is painted with nail polish. The paint chips and scratches just looking at it. Very poor paint job out of the factory.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:36 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Don't drive it! Geez, black cars are meant to look good parked. Just go out and polish and wax it every few days and it will be fine.

Yes, I have a black car.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:37 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You need to use glaze before waxing, that's what fills in all of those spider web scratches that you see in the sun.

Claying will not help scratches one bit.

I have proof that you are wrong about claying and scratches.
My last German Shepherd use to ride shotgun every time she was in my pickup, and her right paw would hang out the side of the door.
Eventually her nails put tiny scratches on that door, just below the window.
Rubbing compound did nothing to remove them.
When I clayed that door a couple of days ago, the claying removed those scratches completely.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive