Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 08:57 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I'd like to see Mazda sell a pickup in the US again, and I dont mean a rebadged Ford. Back in the late 80's they made some sharp looking B2600 SE-5 pickups.
I have all full size vehicles now, but I'd think there was a market for a compact truck like used to be common. They don't need massive power so if the manufacturers can reduce the marketing temptation to put a 300hp V8 or turbo V6 in them they should get great MPG again.

I had an early 90's (pre Ford) B2200, that was a great little truck. Bulletproof clutch, ran forever - needed a valve job at 250,000, good capacity, good mpg. The one I had was a 4x2 standard cab, today I'd get a 4x4 extended but it was still a great truck.

Mine looked just like this one, actually I suppose there is a very slim chance this IS my old truck.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 09:06 AM

4,329 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The thing with the Tacoma is it is essentially the same truck as 2006. I would considering buying one but I KNOW the next year model with be completely redesigned and I'd hate that.
I'm skeptical that the 2014 Tacoma is going to be all-new. The few rumors floating around out there about a redesign show a truck with the nameplate "HiLux" on the door. That would tell me that the 2014 Tacoma, if it is indeed a redesign, would actually be the HiLux, which is what they offer outside North America. We are about a month away from startup production on most 2014 models slated for Fall introduction, so tooling would have to be going in at the Tacoma plants, one of which is in the US, and production workers would need to be getting trained on new assembly procedures and details. Haven't anything on that happening.

I'm not so sure it's a bad thing to get in on the latter end of a vehicle design. For one thing, bugs and quirks in the original design have pretty much been worked out, and there always seem to be people who covet the older generation, after they see the new one. You can go out and buy a new one, if you like the new design. If you liked the older one better, gotta try to find a clean used one somebody is willing to part with.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:07 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Haakon, many years ago our neighbor had one just like this. I always liked that truck.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:26 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I'm skeptical that the 2014 Tacoma is going to be all-new. The few rumors floating around out there about a redesign show a truck with the nameplate "HiLux" on the door. That would tell me that the 2014 Tacoma, if it is indeed a redesign, would actually be the HiLux, which is what they offer outside North America. We are about a month away from startup production on most 2014 models slated for Fall introduction, so tooling would have to be going in at the Tacoma plants, one of which is in the US, and production workers would need to be getting trained on new assembly procedures and details. Haven't anything on that happening.

I'm not so sure it's a bad thing to get in on the latter end of a vehicle design. For one thing, bugs and quirks in the original design have pretty much been worked out, and there always seem to be people who covet the older generation, after they see the new one. You can go out and buy a new one, if you like the new design. If you liked the older one better, gotta try to find a clean used one somebody is willing to part with.

The 2014 won't be all new. I am waiting to see what the 2015 looks like.

The Hilux was the old toyota pickup marketed outside the US.

In general (personal preference) I would like the first or second year of a brand new design. I realize the whole bugs thing but I am willing to take the chance to have a new generation of features including fuel efficiency and safety and also it retains its newness look longer.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:54 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Are any available? It seems like the only non-full sized pickup trucks left are Tacoma sized. No more mini trucks like the old Toyota pickup or Ford Courier.

With gas at $4, any rumors of mini trucks making a come back?
with full size trucks getting about the same fuel economy as the smaller trucks did, but with more room available, why would the average person buy a mini truck? personally i like the mini trucks over the full size ones.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:09 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Remember the early to mid 90's when Mini trucks where huge esp. the S-10, Mazda B2200 and Nissan hardbody where very popular.

They all had massive stereo's that cost more then the truck it self and they were rolling on 13-14 inch Dayton wire or Supreme rims and slammed so low to the ground a crushed soda can would get caught in the frame and drag underneath it...those were the days.

Then again Mini trucks were more of a West Coast and PNW Fad not sure if they were Big or as popular on the East Coast

Old 06-30-2013, 10:15 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times
Some people moan about gas mileage, but I like small trucks because you can get find them down tight trails in the sticks.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Some people moan about gas mileage, but I like small trucks because you can get find them down tight trails in the sticks.
And this is why their are so many VW Diesel / Samurai conversions. Several companies serve this application.

Agility is important in a lot of the third world countries that have some very impressive (functional) mini-trucks.

The extraordinary uses that you find are pretty incredible (the load often dwarfs the vehicle).
Google Image Result for http://www.parish-without-borders.net/cditt/cambodia/dailylife/2007/graphics/truckload.jpg

Old 06-30-2013, 11:09 AM

6,559 posts, read 7,139,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Remember the early to mid 90's when Mini trucks where huge esp. the S-10, Mazda B2200 and Nissan hardbody where very popular.

They all had massive stereo's that cost more then the truck it self and they were rolling on 13-14 inch Dayton wire or Supreme rims and slammed so low to the ground a crushed soda can would get caught in the frame and drag underneath it...those were the days.

Then again Mini trucks were more of a West Coast and PNW Fad not sure if they were Big or as popular on the East Coast

We had them here in the Midwest too, I wanted one so bad when I was in middle school (man, was I an idiot thinking about it now!!)

Old 06-30-2013, 01:56 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Ranger is planned to come back in 2014. How good it will be, now that it's likely not to be a Mazda anymore, is everyone's guess.
Ford Considers Challenges of Compact F-100/Ranger Pickup Truck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive