Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2013, 07:06 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,723,264 times

Advertisements

This may seem like an odd question... But I'm having a door fully replaced with a new door. What typically happens to the part that is being replaced? Does the body shop keep it to resell it? Does it go to the junkyard? Can I have it?

If I am able to keep it, are there junkyards or parts stores that may buy it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 07:15 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,424,925 times
If it's a chain, they may have scrap metal bins that they keep metal parts like rotors, control arms, etc.
Other places may send it to metal scrapping themselves for money.
Being from Chicago, there are tons of Mexicans driving around the city on a daily business scouring the alleys for metal they can cash in. Some of them know shops that give them their metal.
Some shops might not care and junk them, but they'd be dumb not to cash in somehow.

You are entitled to keep the part if you want, but from my experience, shops typically don't ask, and neither do customers. Customers just don't have any need for old parts.

The parts I usually replace myself end up staying in my place forever.

You can drop off scrap metal at some shops or Autozone or Pep Boys but they won't pay you for it, just put it in their scrap metal bin.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:27 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Take it to a scrap yard, you may get $2 - $3 for it!

Old 08-01-2013, 07:27 PM

Thanks Narf. I was just curious because it only has a minor dent and its a newer car.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Take it to a scrap yard, you may get $2 - $3 for it!
Sweet! Maybe I'll share that $3 with you and you can buy a nicer personality!

Old 08-01-2013, 08:05 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
This may seem like an odd question... But I'm having a door fully replaced with a new door. What typically happens to the part that is being replaced? Does the body shop keep it to resell it? Does it go to the junkyard? Can I have it?

If I am able to keep it, are there junkyards or parts stores that may buy it?
If it's dented or damaged in any way, it's going into a scrap heap and eventually hauled to the scrap yard.

There are a lot of parts on cars (not a door) for which you pay a core charge. Those used parts get returned, obviously.

Sometimes we'll have a customer ask for the old parts, usually to make us prove that the old part was defective or broken. Unless there's a core charge, I'm more than happy to send the junk home with them.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:19 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,424,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
If it's dented or damaged in any way, it's going into a scrap heap and eventually hauled to the scrap yard.

There are a lot of parts on cars (not a door) for which you pay a core charge. Those used parts get returned, obviously.

Sometimes we'll have a customer ask for the old parts, usually to make us prove that the old part was defective or broken. Unless there's a core charge, I'm more than happy to send the junk home with them.
Or you can give them the old core and tell them, thank you, your bill is $40.00 more now

Old 08-01-2013, 08:31 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Or you can give them the old core and tell them, thank you, your bill is $40.00 more now
"...and knock yourself out with that 'broken half shaft' art you now have."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive