Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 09:15 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,676 times

Advertisements

Honda SUV or the Honda Pickup
Any of the Subarus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 10:52 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Toyota Rav 4 4WD, Honda CRV, Subaru. All do well on snow and ice, but as another poster mentioned the tires make a big difference.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:14 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,894,623 times
Get a Subaru Legacy. Can get a base new one for around $20K. Limited 2.5i for around $25k. Hold their value like crazy. 32MPG highway and best AWD system on the market.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:12 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,720,156 times
Subaru Outback.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:24 AM

774 posts, read 2,602,482 times
We have a Forester that has been a work horse for us. It gets around 28 mpg with about 60/40 hwy/city driving. The AWD system is better than any others I've seen or driving that aren't "real 4x4". The car has been reliable over 160K miles with nothing but regular maintenance needed. All told the car was $23K new. Used models are around $15-16 of a 2009-2011 model.

If you want something smaller then the XV Crosstrek is a great little car. It's basically an Impreza that's been lifted to lose the girly car image.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:43 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,584,802 times
Default Good in snow and good fuel economy?

Any of the compact 4 cyl SUVs with AWD like the RAV4, Subaru Forester, Honda CRV, Ford Escape, etc.

They'll get mileage in the 25mpg range and they handle real well in snow. Just avoid the temptation to get the V6; there's goes your mileage.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:55 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,247 times
How about trying some decent winter tires on your Mustang? I used to see quite a few Mustangs getting around very well when I lived in Alaska. My preference for tires would be Hankook ipike RW11, mine have been on my vehicle for 4 years and still have plenty of siping as well as tread and I use them year round.

Other than that the VW jetta wagon TDI does well in snow as do most Volvo's and Audi's

Old 08-14-2013, 12:49 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,105 times
When I lived in New England I drove a Honda CR-V with good snow tires on it. Did fine even on treacherous mountain roads in Vermont and New Hampshire with ample amounts of snow. Sometimes those roads are just impassable unless you drive a Hum-vee, but since you live where it's flat, you really wouldn't even need a CR-V.

What I drive now, a Honda Accord with a 2.4L 4-cylinder and a 5-speed manual does excellent in snow when I'm up north. I don't bother with snow tires since I'm (temporarily) living down south, and even still my Accord does just fine. So in flat terrain where you live, I would just get an Accord (with a stick shift if you can find one) and put some good snow tires on it. Then again, I'm a bit of a shill for Honda if I'm being honest. I think they're the best cars you can buy.

If you must have AWD, then yeah a Subaru is probably your best option, although Subarus really don't get very good gas mileage, comparatively speaking. They tend to get less than 20 in city driving, and probably not much more than 20 on highways. So take that into consideration.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:57 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
(snip)

If you must have AWD, then yeah a Subaru is probably your best option, although Subarus really don't get very good gas mileage, comparatively speaking. They tend to get less than 20 in city driving, and probably not much more than 20 on highways. So take that into consideration.
BS.

I've never had a Subie deliver less than 25 mpg in combined city/hwy driving in almost 20 years of various models driven, with our 1995 models 2.2 liter delivering closer to 30. In pure hwy driving here in the Rocky Mountain West, my wife consistently got 31-32 mpg on our wintertime fuel blend.

Our current 2000 and 2001 OBW's Limiteds deliver around 28 mpg in wintertime driving, with extreme snow conditions sometimes dropping that to 25-25 mpg. My wife's 2000 now has over 225,000 miles on it, with the headgaskets replaced at 150,000 miles for the only major expense to date.

But a major concern is how much vehicle you need for your winter driving circumstances. If the AWD isn't necessary where you travel, then there are definitely FWD cars that will deliver better fuel economy than the Subies ... or any other AWD car suitable for a daily traveling. An honest assessment of your driving requirements is in order; ie, many FWD cars equipped with appropriate dedicated winter tires will do the job for most drivers. One of our sales group does a daily 120 mile commute to Gillette WY from NE from there, in very rural country subject to serious winter driving conditions ... in a Ford Focus. Claims high 30's mpg for that 240 miles per day travel and has never been stranded or stuck.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:14 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
As the title says, I am on the search for a vehicle and trying to find that perfect balance between fuel economy and performance in winter weather. I live in the Chicago area and drive around 600 miles over the course of the week for my job. My job is in sales and my territory covers parts of 3 counties. My Ford Mustang is terrible for this, bad on gas mileage and bad in snow. I'm looking to make a decision before winter begins.

The area I travel in is primarily flat, but there are some roads with numerous curves and when snow does occur it blows and drifts all over in the country. I know Chicago doesn't get massive amounts of snow, but when we do get it, it often lingers around for quite a while. I would like some peace of mind, given that I spend upwards of 12 hours of the work week in my car. At the same time, fuel economy is a high priority too. My Mustang eats gas, so in reality, just about anything would be an improvement.

Any suggestions on a happy medium?
I live in WI and drive a Chevy Equinox, it's AWD, has traction control drive, so it handles deep snow with ease, never, ever thought I would get stuck, even in foot deep snow. The fun thing is you can power thru turns in deep snow that should send you spinning out of control, but the traction control keeps you going straight, with no sliding around. It also has a surprising amount of power, I have never had a prob passing these slow Iowa drivers on these two lane 55mph state roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive