Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 08:58 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,943 times

Advertisements

That is not a curve Fleet! Geez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 09:59 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
That is not a curve Fleet! Geez.
I've been driving for over 30 years. I know a curve when I see one!

Old 09-10-2013, 05:56 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yes, where I drove was more like a curve than a corner.

But it doesn't change the fact that I was able to take that curve in my '76 Limousine at well over the speed limit.
The problem is that ANY car could take THAT curve at well over the speed limit.

Quote:
Also, the roads in those first 4 photos, I doubt a car could take a curve on those at very high speeds.
That's because you've never been in a car that could. I have. The ones I posted could. Do you even know what 1+ g laterally feels like?

Quote:
BTW, here is a photo of one of those "terrible handling old cars" taking a curve at 90 mph (a 1957 Plymouth Fury).
2 things, 1) it's leaning like a mofo, with the front suspension all out of shape. And 2) there is no picture of the corner, it could be a slight curve and we can't tell from the picture. What 1957 considered good handling in a sedan we'd consider a wallowy pig of a joke, today. Seriously, Fleet. Your cars are cool cruisers but don't start believing they can handle worth a crap.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I've been driving for over 30 years. I know a curve when I see one!
you obviously dont. That is a long sweeper that can be taken by almost any car way over the speed limit.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post

2 things, 1) it's leaning like a mofo, with the front suspension all out of shape. And 2) there is no picture of the corner, it could be a slight curve and we can't tell from the picture. What 1957 considered good handling in a sedan we'd consider a wallowy pig of a joke, today. Seriously, Fleet. Your cars are cool cruisers but don't start believing they can handle worth a crap.
he's stuck in that era and hasnt realized how cars have evolved, or either just fails to admit that cars are superior today than they were back then.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:46 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
I'm a male in my late-20's, and even though many of my peers are into the "ricing" scene, I simply cannot see the appeal. What makes ricing a car so desirable? Was ricing popular even before Fast & the Furious (circa 2001)?
  • Most riced-up cars look classless with the super high spoilers, crazy paint colors, angled wheels, etc.
  • Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think women dig riced-up cars.
  • Let's be honest - a 1996 Civic still looks outdated, even if it is riced up.
  • Even nicer, newer cars that are riced up (e.g. a blacked out Acura TSX or Nissan Maxima)
  • I'd assume riced cars are targeted by cops.
  • I apologize for the stereotype, but ricers tend to be pretty obnoxious on the road (e.g. constant tail-gating) and the drivers look low-life'ish.

Don't get me wrong - to each their own. However, I never understood the culture.
When I was in high school, I thought cars of the 1960s-early 1980s that were jacked up with air shocks to accommodate rear tires that stuck out of the fenderwells and had things like traction/ladder bars and hood scoops that they didn't really need plus tinted windows (usually with air bubbles in them) and performance stickers in the windows looked pretty cool.

I don't like the "ricer" look myself; but I can't help but wonder if I feel any different about them than a mature adult would have felt about the cars I thought were so cool back in the day.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:51 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
When I was in high school, I thought cars of the 1960s-early 1980s that were jacked up with air shocks to accommodate rear tires that stuck out of the fenderwells and had things like traction/ladder bars and hood scoops that they didn't really need plus tinted windows (usually with air bubbles in them) and performance stickers in the windows looked pretty cool.

I don't like the "ricer" look myself; but I can't help but wonder if I feel any different about them than a mature adult would have felt about the cars I thought were so cool back in the day.
It has more to do with how the car is modified, not the era. A car of any era can be tastefully modded and can also be hacked up.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
But who wants to drive a Geo Metro?
I drove one as a delivery car years ago and would love to own one. For driving in traffic or on a winding road I'd take it over my '66 Galaxie, Bel Air, or Impala, my '67 Fury, or any other full-size RWD car I've owned any day of the week.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
It has more to do with how the car is modified, not the era. A car of any era can be tastefully modded and can also be hacked up.
That's what I'm saying. A lot of the people who **** and moan about the obnoxious, superficial "ricer" mods were guilty of making their own obnoxious, superficial mods when they were young. The only difference is the type of raw material that's available to work with.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:19 PM

24,471 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Quote:
How do you know you can go that fast on that street with your Saturn? You would have to actually drive on it first. Also, your Saturn does not weigh 6,000 lbs or is 21 feet long! But be careful if you drive on that street... someone else also thought he could drive fast on it and ended up losing control and crashing into the curb and a tree.

I will also point out that many times I am well ahead of other cars when driving down that street.
Well actually those types are a dime a dozen where I live. so just maybe I have had a little bit of practice and there are also no signs posted that there are curves ahead so that stretch of road is not a curve in your vid.

This is a nice desert curve to take at speed.

road desert curve - street road photo - images free - photo free download - free photo

I am thankful the Saturn doesn't weigh 6,000 lbs and is not 21' long so I have no worries about smashing into a curb and tree. Must have been a floaty car.

Your last sentence deserves honor for the laugh of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive