Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 03:47 PM

5 posts, read 18,846 times

Advertisements

Our family is moving to Anchorage soon. We will probably be living about 20-30 miles from the actual city and are looking for a good SUV to drive through the snow. Lived in cleveland for many years and used to driving in snow but I understand there is alot more snow and it's alot colder in Anch.

I understand that snow tires etc and safe driving are really what matters. We want something that will be able to maneuver through heavy snowfall (i.e. decent ground clearance)

Looking at 4x4 SUVs

Looking at the ford explorer but it's ground clearance is only 7.6" and it sits on a car frame

Also looking at Chevy Tahoe but it seems like it might be too big. Though it does have a decent ground clearance and power. Sits on a truck frame.

Can anyone please shed some light? I'd hate to buy a huge SUV and find out we don't need it, but i'd also hate to buy a smaller SUV that doesnt perform any better than our sedan.

Last edited by hatingthemidwest; 09-09-2013 at 04:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 04:06 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,049,875 times
The size of the SUV is not what is going to matter. What's going to matter is making sure that you have the right kind of snow tires. You're also going to need to run lightweight synthetic oil in your engine, and synthetic fluid in your transmission. Be sure you have a plug-in block heater.

You're also going to want some cold-weather survival gear.

I'm a Northerner. You can hit me up with a PM if you would like to.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:13 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,898,855 times
I'd get:

1. Dodge Power Wagon if you want a truck (front and rear lockers)
2. Older (2005-2010) Jeep Grand Cherokee or Commander with Quadra-Drive II. Newer models should be fine too but they have an open front differential. QDII has front and rear ELSD. Can put 100% of the power to a single wheel.
3. Any Land Rover or Range Rover

Definitely put winter tires on so you can actually stop or turn once you get going with your top of the line 4x4 system!

Old 09-09-2013, 05:39 PM

24,480 posts, read 26,021,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatingthemidwest View Post
Our family is moving to Anchorage soon. We will probably be living about 20-30 miles from the actual city and are looking for a good SUV to drive through the snow. Lived in cleveland for many years and used to driving in snow but I understand there is alot more snow and it's alot colder in Anch.

I understand that snow tires etc and safe driving are really what matters. We want something that will be able to maneuver through heavy snowfall (i.e. decent ground clearance)

Looking at 4x4 SUVs

Looking at the ford explorer but it's ground clearance is only 7.6" and it sits on a car frame

Also looking at Chevy Tahoe but it seems like it might be too big. Though it does have a decent ground clearance and power. Sits on a truck frame.

Can anyone please shed some light? I'd hate to buy a huge SUV and find out we don't need it, but i'd also hate to buy a smaller SUV that doesnt perform any better than our sedan.
You might want to ask this question in the Alaska forum for more info.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:09 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,279,089 times
A friend stationed in AK tells me cars in general are a bit more expensive than the lower 48. Im talking like a 98 VW Jetta going for 6 grand.

He just bought a newer Jetta though. Anchorage isnt entirely wilderness, I imagine its just like any port city around the Northeast.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:41 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,378,814 times
I lot of people in colorado drive Toyota 4 runners. Incredibly reliable and great in bad conditions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-09-2013, 07:57 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,330,060 times
Has the Op though of a crew cab F150 or Chevy Silverado 4x4

Old 09-09-2013, 08:49 PM

924 posts, read 1,456,923 times
Subarus always seem popular around ski resorts. The Outback and Forester have decent ground clearance as well.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:01 PM

19,054 posts, read 27,620,833 times
Please, have mercy, do not recommend Fords or GM products.
If you want a true invincible vehicle, though it is a truck, here you go:

Top Gear: Polar Special part 1 - BBC - YouTube

BBC Two - Top Gear, Polar Challenge

Alias Toyota Tacoma king cab.
Otherwise, Fj Cruiser, Landcruiser, and 4Runner will cut the bill for you.
Personally, I am positive, a larger Subaru will do just fine, unless you really want to live way out in Anchorage sticks somewhere. It's normal civilized city.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:49 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,374,928 times
Don't recommend a Ford or GM but recommend a Toyota that has been completely rebuilt specially for arctic weather and has little relation to the stock truck? Great advice if they have buckets of cash. If you spend $100,000 on a Geo Metro you could make it awesome in the snow too. Spend a little to customize a Suburban and it will go through almost any amount of snow too, for a lot less than the Top Gear truck (that was a great episode).

Suburban on 46 inch Claws cutting through the deep snow - YouTube

I would get a Suburban, but I like full size vehicles. I've driven my stock (not the Sub in the video), other than 285/75/16 tires, 4x4 2000 Suburban through 18" of snow without any problems and was at 180,000 mechanically trouble free miles when it was totaled in an accident. Or get a Tahoe if you want something a little smaller, I've got 176,000 miles on my 1999 no problems in the 40,000 miles I've owned it, haven't seen more than 10" of snow since I bought it but that wasn't a big deal.

You can find someone with just about any 4x4 who has gone through amazing amounts of snow at one time or another. Get something reliable with 4 wheel drive, enough ground clearance and as Garagelogic said proper tires and chains and you'll be fine. Good vs bad tires will make more of difference than Ford/GM/Dodge/Toyota.

If the Suburban is too big, maybe a Kia Sportage is the way to go, they seem to do better than I would have guessed in the snow.

Kia Sportage in 30" of snow - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive