Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does parking in a parking lot
I assume dings are the price of being in a public lot 16 26.67%
I don't assume dings are the price of being in a public lot 44 73.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 04:43 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times

Advertisements

I have a 2007 toyota camry and . . .I've come to expect a certain amount of taps in a parking lot. Not to pissed about it at all. . .I mean I would prefer people to be careful. . .

So I have two kids, both little. Sometimes people are parked pretty close. . .and twice getting the kids out the doors touch. I'm not talking a smack. . .at least the two events. Just that the door has to touch so you get the kids out.

The first time was a car buy a couple people. . .that looked like it had been through the ringer. I mean the passenger came out, started yelling about scratches. . and I was like "huh? whatever its a parking lot" and the driver eventually said "don't worry" and I left.

The second time, more recently, I was getting my kid out. The door came out and hit a raised jeeps side. That one may of left my hand, but it didn't do anything. Then I adjusted it and to get my kid out I rested the door against the other. The guy was in there crooked so the front had a lot of room, but I couldn't get the kid out of the back without touching.

He started yelling at me about "good thing he was there" and then started rapping about "just being courteous". I told him as I lifted a three year old that if he would like to prevent door dings I recommend he not park so close to the line.

He said something about being courteous and left.

have you been on either side of the drama?

I personally . . unless the person really smacked the hell out of it. . .wouldn't say anything. If someone accuses me of something . . . I would just think of breakage in a store, the price of parking lot, and tell 'em I'm not interested. If they want to call the police, and the police WILL come out to a private parking lot. . .I'll sit and wait.. . .but unless directed to by an officer I wouldn't give out my insurance information.

What about you guys? ever get the police to come out? Ever feel like you have been wronged?

think that parking lots don't equal "breakage" and you have a expectation of returning to a car without dings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 05:04 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I have a 2007 toyota camry and . . .I've come to expect a certain amount of taps in a parking lot. Not to pissed about it at all. . .I mean I would prefer people to be careful. . .

So I have two kids, both little. Sometimes people are parked pretty close. . .and twice getting the kids out the doors touch. I'm not talking a smack. . .at least the two events. Just that the door has to touch so you get the kids out.

The first time was a car buy a couple people. . .that looked like it had been through the ringer. I mean the passenger came out, started yelling about scratches. . and I was like "huh? whatever its a parking lot" and the driver eventually said "don't worry" and I left.

The second time, more recently, I was getting my kid out. The door came out and hit a raised jeeps side. That one may of left my hand, but it didn't do anything. Then I adjusted it and to get my kid out I rested the door against the other. The guy was in there crooked so the front had a lot of room, but I couldn't get the kid out of the back without touching.

He started yelling at me about "good thing he was there" and then started rapping about "just being courteous". I told him as I lifted a three year old that if he would like to prevent door dings I recommend he not park so close to the line.

I personally . . unless the person really smacked the hell out of it. . .wouldn't say anything. If someone accuses me of something . . . I would just think of breakage in a store, the price of parking lot, and tell 'em I'm not interested. If they want to call the police, and the police WILL come out to a private parking lot. . .I'll sit and wait.. . .but unless directed to by an officer I wouldn't give out my insurance information.

What about you guys? ever get the police to come out? Ever feel like you have been wronged?

think that parking lots don't equal "breakage" and you have a expectation of returning to a car without dings?
Wow... You are THAT guy every car person hates!! You are lucky, you haven't gotten what you deserve... I hope I never run into you!

Old 09-15-2013, 05:07 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,852,685 times
I don't think it's too hard at all to expect to NOT get dings while in a parking lot. From your post you come across as one who believes that since it doesn't matter to you it shouldn't matter to others. Some people take great care in taking care of their cars and don't want door dings so you shouldn't assume that because it's unimportant to you it's unimportant for them as well. Yes, IMO it is unacceptable to purposefully open doors and lean them against other vehicles. It's just common courtesy. Something that unfortunately is going the way of the dinosaurs.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:23 PM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Wow... You are THAT guy every car person hates!! You are lucky, you haven't gotten what you deserve... I hope I never run into you!
1. Guy drives a Camry.....just an a to b transportation vehicle
2. I have the expectation that someone won't be inconsiderate (Mr. Camry was being inconsiderate)
3. To compare breakage in a store to a door ding is odd. If you break something in a store you are expected to buy it....."You break it, You buy it" signs are posted in some stores. So in theory if you damage someone's car you are expected to make it right

I suspect Mr. Camry will run into the wrong guy one day and come out to find windows busted, headlights/taillights busted and 4 flat tires.......with a note saying sorry I was inconsiderate, hope you have good insurance since you caused this by parking next to me!

Old 09-15-2013, 05:30 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
1. Guy drives a Camry.....just an a to b transportation vehicle
That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! How can you be so arrogant to judge what brand of car deserves you acting like a decent human being or not?! There is no hope for you other than one day running into that guy who's going to give you what you very much deserve....

Absolutely pathetic!

Old 09-15-2013, 05:47 PM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! How can you be so arrogant to judge what brand of car deserves you acting like a decent human being or not?! There is no hope for you other than one day running into that guy who's going to give you what you very much deserve....

Absolutely pathetic!

Really? How many covers of Hot Rod magazine have Camrys occupied? I suspect hundreds of Camaros/Mustangs so I would think their owners take pride in their rides. I have been to dozens of car shows from old to new, foreign/domestic and can remember seeing everything from Corvairs to Corvettes but can't recall a single Camry! I was a valet guy years ago and I never had a Camry owner ask to "leave it up front" like the Ferrari, Porsche, Rolls Royce and Bentley guys did.....hmmmm. So yeah it must be just me that thinks Camrys are about as exciting as a new refrigerator for the garage!

A Camry is a fine car but certainly not an enthusiasts car! It is basic transportation, rental car like and NOTHING special so how would you expect a buyer of this to respect another person's car for more than basic transportation?

Last edited by City Guy997S; 09-15-2013 at 06:07 PM..

Old 09-15-2013, 06:32 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Really? How many covers of Hot Rod magazine have Camrys occupied? I suspect hundreds of Camaros/Mustangs so I would think their owners take pride in their rides. I have been to dozens of car shows from old to new, foreign/domestic and can remember seeing everything from Corvairs to Corvettes but can't recall a single Camry! So yeah it must be just me that thinks Camrys are about as exciting as a new refrigerator for the garage!

A Camry is a fine car but certainly not an enthusiasts car! It is basic transportation, rental car like and NOTHING special so how would you expect a buyer of this to respect another person's car for more than basic transportation?
Wow! This doesn't really deserve an answer.

I was sitting outside Mile High Stadium with my family in 1985 in my week-old '86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, just waiting for the gates to open for a Bronco game. Next to us were some guys in a newish Cadillac, just sitting there like we were. Suddenly, BAM! Our Jeep shook from the force of their door hitting ours. I was stunned. They all took off on the run and I got out to inspect the big dent in my door.

After the game we got back to our car before they did and I waited a couple minutes for them to show up, then approached the driver about it. His response was like City Guy's probably would have been: "It's just a Jeep."

That peeved me. My Jeep had a higher sticker price than his Cadillac, and I so informed him. He ignored me, climbed in his car and started the engine. I wouldn't have it. I told him if his car moved I'd be stomping on its hood. So he asked what I wanted. "An apology and a promise from him (the guy who slammed the door into mine) that he'll be more careful in the future." I got both.

I'm not proud of my behavior, and had the Broncos not lost that particular game I'd likely have not said anything, let alone lost my cool, but the slammed door while I was sitting there, the Bronco loss, and finally the "it's just a Jeep" was more than I could handle.

Incidentally City Guy, the Jeep was basic transportation, but I've always taken pride in my cars and have tried to keep them like new. The cars left in my garage that weekend included a fully restored '57 Buick convertible and a nearly new Porsche. I respect others' cars whether I've seen them on a magazine cover or not.

Oh, and I have dinged a car in a parking lot once. It wasn't with my door, but I looked away for a second and dinged the rear bumper of another car as I was pulling in. It didn't dent it, but it did scuff the paint. I gave the guy $50 to get some rubbing compound and fix it himself and told him if that wasn't enough to let me know and I'd pay whatever it cost. I had to wait for him to come out of the store, but I wasn't going to ignore it like so many do.

Last edited by WyoNewk; 09-15-2013 at 06:43 PM..

Old 09-15-2013, 07:14 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Well, since it's for (cue Sally Struthers voice) "The Children"â„¢ then it's totally excusable to bang your car doors into neighboring cars.

If you can't open your doors without damaging things around them, then park somewhere else or use more caution. Having children, no matter what age or how small, isn't an excuse for discourteous behavior, although it seems that parents are quite fond of using their kids as an excuse for their own mishaps.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:35 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Hey it's the I ran into someone in a drive-through but figured it was just okay so I didn't bother to get out, what's this guy's problem thread all over again!

Old 09-15-2013, 07:52 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,471,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post

If you can't open the door without hitting another car then DON'T park there... It's inconsiderate people like you that don't give a damn about another person's property that make me park a mile away. If you have to park within inches of someone while whacking their door just to save a few feet of walking why don't you buy a rascal or whatever those electric scooters are called, and get a handicap permit so you can have the spot closest to wal-mart. You might even have a few feet of space to swing your door wide open, and won't need to have a care in the world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive