Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 12:14 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,504,441 times

Advertisements

Why the prices are so outrageous? I completely understand it will be higher than online but look at these:

Component Dealer Online

Brake pads (F) $194 $52
Brake shoes (R) $131 $38
Water Pump $181 $65

What's up with them? I'd pay a bit more just to have local business but this is insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 12:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
It's also a lot cheaper at the local auto parts store like Carquest, Napa, or O'Riley.

Dealerships have to offset the slow sales periods by making profits on service and parts, and they have to buy there "genuine" parts from the manufacturer. Independents and online dealers can buy from whoever they want. In some cases
the factory parts are better, and when it comes to auto parts cheapest is not always the best. At an independent auto parts store the brake pads are usually available in 3-4 different grades ranging from $29-200 and you have to select what's best for your vehicle and driving conditions. For something like an air filter I would be fine with the cheapest FRAM.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:58 PM

^^^^Forgot to say - I am talking about factory genuine parts only. If I compare OEM with aftermarket then there is no comparison as parts are different. These are same exact parts.

I really like to have an option where you just go and pick whatever part you want but so much of difference is just insane.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:13 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,425,756 times
What dealer are you getting these prices from and what website are you getting these prices from?
You're comparing online prices that are probably below list price and don't include shipping vs. matrix or customer pay pricing that is above list price.

You can always ask the dealer parts guy to tell you what list price is, and if they're nice, they might tell you the truth, or at least white lie you and give you the wrong price, but lower than what they originally told you. Or they could be mean and not tell you anything different.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:23 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,960,086 times
Dealer prices are usually from a SRP list that includes a 100% markup. The only good thing is that the parts are either in stock or they can get them within two days.

I buy OEM parts from an online dealer that only charges a 70% markup. The downside is you pay a handling and shipping charge and parts often take a week until delivery.

Parts from Chinese suppliers are even less (often less than half of OEM SRP) and depending upon the part can be an excellent value. Sometimes I buy them, sometimes I want little risk and pay for OEM.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:50 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,423,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Why the prices are so outrageous? I completely understand it will be higher than online but look at these:

Component Dealer Online

Brake pads (F) $194 $52
Brake shoes (R) $131 $38
Water Pump $181 $65

What's up with them? I'd pay a bit more just to have local business but this is insane.

You're paying for a local building (and the salary of the employees, power, water, TV, insurance, yadda, yadda, yadda...) when buying from a Brick and Mortar. Online is a warehouse and sometimes not even that, but someone who's arranged a drop-ship service so they aren't paying the same kinds of costs to make the part available. It's nothing new, nothing unusual, and not even anything that's shocking. It's been the status-quot since I first started wrenching for profit (that'd be the late 1990's ~ and yes I was buying parts online back then too).

The REAL fun starts when you discover that it's another Dealer who's selling the parts for so cheap. I buy all my Toyota stuff from a dealer in FL, the shipped prices are just so good that I've stopped even looking elsewhere, and combined with the Fantastic customer service... it's just a no brainier. I bet that better then 90% of my motorcycle parts are from a dealer in Arizona.

*shrug* Not sure why you care... buy the parts that are priced better and be done with it already. There are all SORTS of terrible business practices going on in the world today (and twice as many suckers just blindly keeping those same businesses going by throwing away their money).

Old 09-24-2013, 02:57 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,048,573 times
First of all, we have to be sure we're comparing apples. Same part numbers. I assume you're doing that.

That said, dealerships have sky-high overhead. They're going to take maximum mark-up on their parts, and their shop rates are going to be very high.

In all fairness, it's not always just because they're being greedy. They're forced to buy extremely expensive diagnostic equipment and specialty tools that most of us just skip. There's also a certain amount of warranty work that they're forced to "eat."

Old 09-24-2013, 03:06 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,225,602 times
Why anyone would routinely buy parts from a dealership, outside of necessity, is beyond me. Operative word being 'routinely'. Electronics and complex parts that require precise manufacturing and assembly is something I am willing to pay extra for but that is few and far between. What I use dealerships for are the parts that cannot be found anywhere else, i.e. small parts, trim pieces and other things that are not commonly replaced.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:10 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,933,459 times
When you are comparing oem parts. Online oem dealers prices are usually lowered because of the overhead cost at the local dealership. Call it a convenience factor but that's the fact of life.

I always get my Honda/Acura/Lexus/Toyota from online suppliers that operate from the dealership. Their prices are always lower (even with shipping fees). They almost always have discount for car club member. I've been dealing with a Honda/Acura online sales person who made his own position at the dealership doing online sales years ago.

You have to be careful with online supplier as they are not all the same. The good ones have good customer service and you actually talk to them on the phone instead of just a simply online ordering page.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
What dealer are you getting these prices from and what website are you getting these prices from?
You're comparing online prices that are probably below list price and don't include shipping vs. matrix or customer pay pricing that is above list price.
I am either driving to my local Toyota dealer or buying from a Toyota dealer who has internet sale as well. Again these are exact same parts in exact same condition. Shipping is like $10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

The REAL fun starts when you discover that it's another Dealer who's selling the parts for so cheap. I buy all my Toyota stuff from a dealer in FL, the shipped prices are just so good that I've stopped even looking elsewhere, and combined with the Fantastic customer service... it's just a no brainier. I bet that better then 90% of my motorcycle parts are from a dealer in Arizona.
That's how I am comparing the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
First of all, we have to be sure we're comparing apples. Same part numbers. I assume you're doing that.

"
Yes the same parts.

I don't mind paying them extra considering you just go and get the stuff. For example, pads online about $50 well may be $80 or even $100 at dealer's but almost $200!! Also what I don't understand is - this online website of dealer states price from Toyota (I don't know what it is really) which will be higher e.g. for pads may be $80 and then discounted price will be like $50. Now dealer tells me Toyota price is $194 - how does that work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive