Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 05:08 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,377,654 times

Advertisements

Ok. Going to make this relatively short laying out all the facts. Should I suck it up or keep making a fuss about it.

In spring I purchased a 2013 f250 from dealership A (a $63k truck) I also purchased all the warranties.

1. In July I was towing a 5th wheel and turned too sharp and broke rear glass.

2. Brought to well known nationwide glass repair to have it fixed ($800)

3. Electric rear window on glass wasn't working. Brought it back. They replaced motor. (I live an hour from both dealership and auto glass place) new motor didnt fix it. They said to take it to Ford.

3. Brought to Ford. They couldn't figure jt out. Ordered new switch.

4. Brought back second time (called day before) get there, 2 hr wait to be seen. So I left.

5. Brought back 3rd time. Switch did not fix it. They asked to bring back again to drop off (I live an hr away mind you)

6. Call service manager. Ask to take a car off the lot home. They said they dont do that (although a different ford dealer did for me in another city last summer) he agreed to pay for rental car.

7. Bring truck yesterday. They set up my gf with a rental car.

8. Go to pick truck up today. Gf brings rental car back. They find a chip in windshield now trying to charge us for a whole new windshield.

I am just beyond mad. The final issue the dealership said was the wiring by the auto glass place. STILL its the fact it took them FOUR trips to do that.

Had it have been fixed the first time correctly there would have a total of ONE trip as opposed to SIX.

In addition to the TIME, and GAS, now there's the EXPENSE of replacing rental car glass which all could have been avoided.

It's not the cost as much as its all this time invested and then when its finally fixed it ends on a WORSE note with the glass.

I fully intend on talking to the glass regional manager and the dealership general manager. Also leaving negative reviews on both places under google and yellowpages if nothing is done.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 05:21 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Ok. Going to make this relatively short laying out all the facts. Should I suck it up or keep making a fuss about it.

In spring I purchased a 2013 f250 from dealership A (a $63k truck) I also purchased all the warranties.

1. In July I was towing a 5th wheel and turned too sharp and broke rear glass.

2. Brought to well known nationwide glass repair to have it fixed ($800)

3. Electric rear window on glass wasn't working. Brought it back. They replaced motor. (I live an hour from both dealership and auto glass place) new motor didnt fix it. They said to take it to Ford.

3. Brought to Ford. They couldn't figure jt out. Ordered new switch.

4. Brought back second time (called day before) get there, 2 hr wait to be seen. So I left.

5. Brought back 3rd time. Switch did not fix it. They asked to bring back again to drop off (I live an hr away mind you)

6. Call service manager. Ask to take a car off the lot home. They said they dont do that (although a different ford dealer did for me in another city last summer) he agreed to pay for rental car.

7. Bring truck yesterday. They set up my gf with a rental car.

8. Go to pick truck up today. Gf brings rental car back. They find a chip in windshield now trying to charge us for a whole new windshield.

I am just beyond mad. The final issue the dealership said was the wiring by the auto glass place. STILL its the fact it took them FOUR trips to do that.

Had it have been fixed the first time correctly there would have a total of ONE trip as opposed to SIX.

In addition to the TIME, and GAS, now there's the EXPENSE of replacing rental car glass which all could have been avoided.

It's not the cost as much as its all this time invested and then when its finally fixed it ends on a WORSE note with the glass.

I fully intend on talking to the glass regional manager and the dealership general manager. Also leaving negative reviews on both places under google and yellowpages if nothing is done.

Thoughts?

blame is on the place that replaced the window and subsequently the motor because they couldn't figure out their install snafu as far as I'm concerned. I would of told them that they would be responsible for the diagnostic and the repair costs as soon as they said take it to the dealer. I would expect reimbursement for any other costs incurred to correctly repair what I initially hired them to do.
They couldn't figure out the issue but ordered switch? Who diagnosed the switch? You or dealer? Who bought switch?
The dealer can give a free rental if the vehicle has to be kept overnight for driveability issues. A non working back window isn't that case. The cost of your vehicle doesn't correlate to getting a free car.

The chipped windshield can be fixed in less its a crack. Most car wash and window replacement places can fci chips. Did you buy their insurance! If not you can call yours. The rental was in your care and if you did not purchase their insurance you are liable for damages.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
blame is on the place that replaced the window and subsequently the motor because they couldn't figure out their install snafu as far as I'm concerned. I would of told them that they would be responsible for the diagnostic and the repair costs as soon as they said take it to the dealer. I would expect reimbursement for any other costs incurred to correctly repair what I initially hired them to do.
They couldn't figure out the issue but ordered switch? Who diagnosed the switch? You or dealer? Who bought switch?
The dealer can give a free rental if the vehicle has to be kept overnight for driveability issues. A non working back window isn't that case. The cost of your vehicle doesn't correlate to getting a free car.

The chipped windshield can be fixed in less its a crack. Most car wash and window replacement places can fci chips. Did you buy their insurance! If not you can call yours. The rental was in your care and if you did not purchase their insurance you are liable for damages.
Good posting.

The glass place said the switch. The dealership said the switch and agreed.

I paid no costs other than the original cost of the window. It was all fixed under warrant by Ford.

Just talked to my gf. It was a chip with a small crack coming out. They rented to her. She only has liability I believe. Either way I don't do claims for anything under than $1000 due to issues with insurance companies. (Last fall I did my first insurance claim in 5 years for $1800 in damage, this year they literally about doubled my insurance. I was so mad and switched companies. Stupid green lizard company)

Old 10-30-2013, 07:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I don't think you have any recourse, because you declined the additional rental car insurance. If a chip/crack is in the driver's field of vision they cannot, by law repair it, the windshield has to be replaced. If the chip was there when she picked it up, she should have noted it on the pre-drive away inspection. Why didn't you have the dealer replace the rear window?

Old 10-30-2013, 09:05 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Good posting.

The glass place said the switch. The dealership said the switch and agreed.

I paid no costs other than the original cost of the window. It was all fixed under warrant by Ford.

Just talked to my gf. It was a chip with a small crack coming out. They rented to her. She only has liability I believe. Either way I don't do claims for anything under than $1000 due to issues with insurance companies. (Last fall I did my first insurance claim in 5 years for $1800 in damage, this year they literally about doubled my insurance. I was so mad and switched companies. Stupid green lizard company)

. You're on the hook for the windshield. Tell them to give you estimate of repair of window before proceeding with repairs. Pay it move on.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't think you have any recourse, because you declined the additional rental car insurance. If a chip/crack is in the driver's field of vision they cannot, by law repair it, the windshield has to be replaced. If the chip was there when she picked it up, she should have noted it on the pre-drive away inspection. Why didn't you have the dealer replace the rear window?
No. My gf is 19. They rented the car to her. They dont OFFER insurance or allow them to have it for people under 21.

I wasn't sure if dealers even do windows. I called the national familiar window place and they replaced it with a factory Ford window.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:52 AM

That being said I'm probably gonna have to bite the bullet. Just angry that it's adding insult to injury on top of the garbage service from both Ford and the glass place.

Good thing there's another ford dealership in town.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:43 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times
One word: DEALERSHIP

What most people don't realize, is that dealerships are the LAST place you actually want to take your vehicle, if you want it fixed correctly. Unfortunately, as long as it's under warranty, you're pretty much stuck going there. What you will notice though, is that even though all this work gets done under warranty, you still pay out hundreds of dollars for warranty work.

Basically, in this case, you're stuck with no recourse except to publicly bad-mouth them.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
One word: DEALERSHIP

What most people don't realize, is that dealerships are the LAST place you actually want to take your vehicle, if you want it fixed correctly. Unfortunately, as long as it's under warranty, you're pretty much stuck going there. What you will notice though, is that even though all this work gets done under warranty, you still pay out hundreds of dollars for warranty work.

Basically, in this case, you're stuck with no recourse except to publicly bad-mouth them.
While I agree to an extent with somw vehicles, do you think many shops have the knowledge to work on these complex new diesels that are coming out?

If it was a Honda or Toyota typical car I'd understand. I'd be skeptical getting major engine work done on my truck at a place other than the dealership. Its not the old 7.3..

Old 10-31-2013, 10:40 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
OP, have your GF call her insurance agent, it may cover the windshield. Also get an estimate from one of the outfits that repairs windshields, it may not need replacing.
Some auto parts salvage yards do install windsheilds, cal your local yard and see if they do, you could save hundreds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive