Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often to you blow your horn, and what the longest duration?
I'm not even sure it works. 14 19.18%
Maybe a few times a year 36 49.32%
At least every month or so 11 15.07%
At least every week or so 8 10.96%
Just about every day 3 4.11%
About a half-second "bip" 13 17.81%
A second or two 11 15.07%
2-5 seconds 3 4.11%
A good long blare 8 10.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 12:04 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

How long and how often do you blow your horn. Give one answer in each part, frequency and duration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 12:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Rarely has you can get a ticket here if not a emergency use.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Rarely has you can get a ticket here if not a emergency use.
I can't imagine what kind of "emergency" the horn would be the instrument of choice. In most states, maybe all of them, situations are described in which the horn is mandatory. Like on limited sight-line mountain roads, or when overtaking on a 2-lane road.

For example, Kentucky:

Every person operating an automobile or bicycle shall sound the horn or sound device when necessary to warn of the approach of his vehicle. Do not use the horn or sound device unnecessarily

Last edited by jtur88; 11-16-2013 at 12:20 PM..

Old 11-16-2013, 12:12 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Very infrequently. Months can go by without me using my horn. In fact I have a van I bought in June and today was the first time I'd used the horn. I only use it as a quick "hey, the light's green" or to get someone's attention.

A short blast, just a second or two.

Different when driving in some other countries though, where horn use (and yelling and gesticulating) is common. Doing as the locals do, I will use my horn with gleeful abandon when driving in, say, Israel.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:39 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
I used to blow much more and much harder than I do anymore. These days a good blow is reserved for special occasions.

... wait a minute...

Old 11-16-2013, 12:52 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times
You can't live in a city - where people are constantly sitting through green lights because they're texting - without using your horn on a regular basis.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:02 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
You can't live in a city - where people are constantly sitting through green lights because they're texting - without using your horn on a regular basis.
Yup, that's usually what I use it for. Real emergencies? You generally don't have time. More effective to take evasive action yourself in most situations. I've used it to wake a driver up who was meandering all around the freeway (probably texting).

Duration is until behavior is corrected. I'll give a short tap to wake up the texter who has no peripheral vision to see the light. I think the longest was ~30 seconds. Some guy was double parked waiting for a car to get out so he could take his spot. Problem? He double parked right next to another guy. I gave him plenty of room to back up so he could still get his spot and then just laid on the horn until he learned he stopped forming a road block. It took him about 30 seconds of gesturing and pointing until it dawned on him that I couldn't go around since he was blocking the entire road and backed up a car length. People are dumb.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:10 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
That would be when I use mine, however, I tap it very politely. Just a quick tap to wake them up, and not long and hard to be obnoxious. Everyone occasionally has an attention lapse, so I just want to wake them up, not start a fight.. Who knows, next time it might be me who is day dreaming...

Old 11-16-2013, 01:56 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Almost never, I don't like getting the middle finger.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:15 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,140,569 times
I tap my horn to get people's attention if they are sitting at a green light. Otherwise the only other time I use it is when I see people trying to move into my lane when I'm occupying it. I've had to do that on more occasions than the green light times!

Once I had a car (driven by a couple of young girls) run me off the road TWICE and I went after them blaring my horn at them. I was SOOO p!ssed off. I drive a minivan - my car is hard to miss. I did that for about half a block or so. Then they drove on, and I got in a left turn lane to continue on my way (at a red light).

A cop decided to pull up to my car (on the right) while her lane had a GREEN light, stop (no cop lights on), and tell me to straighten up or she was going to ticket me for "excessive use of my horn"!!! WTF?!?! I guess she missed the other car running me off the road twice, but whatever. I wanted to ask her how many laws she was breaking just to tell me that I laid on my horn too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive