Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 01:42 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
I have to literally crawl over them or even go around because my car is low. I've almost been rear ended multiple times.

I also have to go sideways on elevated ramps and that also pisses people off when they can't get out and I am like "too bad, gonna have to wait"
Tell me about it. Why does almost everyone have zero regards for their automobiles? I assume most drivers do not actually own the cars they're driving as they are mostly company / rental cars.

Going over almost any speed bump over 5km/h will do damage. Except for the ultra smooth speed bump, but those are rare. Most of the speed bumps around here are the shoddy ones which literally will snap off the car's joints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 04:15 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Tell me about it. Why does almost everyone have zero regards for their automobiles? I assume most drivers do not actually own the cars they're driving as they are mostly company / rental cars.

Going over almost any speed bump over 5km/h will do damage. Except for the ultra smooth speed bump, but those are rare. Most of the speed bumps around here are the shoddy ones which literally will snap off the car's joints.
Speed humps placed in the road in the middle of a town where the speed limit is roughly 25mph is not there to further slow down traffic, I believe they are in place so that everyone maintains that already slow speed. When I had my BMW, it sat very low and I did need to slow down, however, every other car Ive owned where I have encountered these humps I go the speed limit and sometimes think I could hit them at a much greater speed as well.

I am meticulous with my automobiles and they have never suffered any damage at all from driving the speed limit over these humps. I feel that the car goes over them smoother if you maintain your speed. I have encountered far worse pot holes in the road...now those will do some damage.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:42 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Speed humps placed in the road in the middle of a town where the speed limit is roughly 25mph is not there to further slow down traffic, I believe they are in place so that everyone maintains that already slow speed. When I had my BMW, it sat very low and I did need to slow down, however, every other car Ive owned where I have encountered these humps I go the speed limit and sometimes think I could hit them at a much greater speed as well.

I am meticulous with my automobiles and they have never suffered any damage at all from driving the speed limit over these humps. I feel that the car goes over them smoother if you maintain your speed. I have encountered far worse pot holes in the road...now those will do some damage.
Going 25mph over this sort of speed bump will do damage and feel uncomfortable.

Notice how the angle of the speed bump is sharp. If you don't crawl over them 2 types of speed bumps you will do damage to numerous components of your car. And you will also jerk quite hard.

Now with this type of speed bump below you can safely and comfortably maintain 25mph going over it. But these are very un common type of speed bump/hump

Besides the people who do not slow over speed humps are doing well above 25mph. Most idiots are doing around 40mph

Old 11-25-2013, 06:14 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
Yowps3, yes, those speed bumps are pretty harsh and could definitely do some damage if gone over to quickly, however, I dont commonly see those placed on a main road...more so in parking lots. The speed humps in your other pics are the ones I dont slow down for and wonder why many people do when the speed limit is generally already 25mph. If I was going over 40mph I may slow down to 25mph to go over it but I think thats why they are in place...to maintain the already slow speed limit and prevent those few that want to speed up.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:01 AM

24 posts, read 32,032 times
Some people are just *******s. They can't be reasoned with, they can't be changed, and philosophically questioning why they are *******s, will get you nowhere. Even if you figure out why, you can't do anything to fix it.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:25 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIDontKnow View Post
Why are people so aggressive while driving? The speed limit was 55, I was driving 75-80 in the middle lane of 3 lanes. Then, 10-12 cars went flying by me. They also gave me the "finger" for driving to slow. I was going 30 MPH over the speed limit.
What I really want to know is, what's up with The Finger?

We've all seen it pointed our way on the road. Many of us have probably given it at some point in our lives. But what are people thinking when they do that?

Granted, it may be provoked, even deserved, in many (if not most) cases, but do people even consider the possible consequences? In fact, if someone's being really obnoxious and showing signs of road rage, shouldn't that make you be even more motivated to keep your cool and not test them giving them the finger? I mean, what if I'm not only a tailgater, but also a well armed psychopath who just had a really really bad day?!? Or what if that other driver ends up being someone you know or are about to meet? I even saw another thread in here (I won't say which) where a cyclist basically bragged about how he gives the finger to motorists that drive too close. From a bike… seriously?

It's really not the offensiveness of the finger that bothers me so much as peoples' complete disregard for their own personal safety and of the other drivers around them. What are they thinking?!?!

Old 11-26-2013, 08:50 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
What I really want to know is, what's up with The Finger?

We've all seen it pointed our way on the road. Many of us have probably given it at some point in our lives. But what are people thinking when they do that?

Granted, it may be provoked, even deserved, in many (if not most) cases, but do people even consider the possible consequences? In fact, if someone's being really obnoxious and showing signs of road rage, shouldn't that make you be even more motivated to keep your cool and not test them giving them the finger? I mean, what if I'm not only a tailgater, but also a well armed psychopath who just had a really really bad day?!? Or what if that other driver ends up being someone you know or are about to meet? I even saw another thread in here (I won't say which) where a cyclist basically bragged about how he gives the finger to motorists that drive too close. From a bike… seriously?

It's really not the offensiveness of the finger that bothers me so much as peoples' complete disregard for their own personal safety and of the other drivers around them. What are they thinking?!?!
It's an emotional reaction. No more, no less. The last time I was given the finger was when I was following a slow driver in the left lane. Apparently she felt I was tailgating since when I passed, she was fingering me as her face was covered by a sun visor. (That sounds wrong)

Too bad, her profile looked kind of cute.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:14 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,470,998 times
The finger is easier to do then yell "learn to drive and get off the phone you stupid skank"

With a higher chance of it being seen

Old 11-26-2013, 08:41 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
The finger is easier to do then yell "learn to drive and get off the phone you stupid skank"

With a higher chance of it being seen

The best thing I have found is to just give em a big smile and wave.........that really ticks em off.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:46 AM

10 posts, read 18,212 times
"why are people so aggressive when driving?"

Simple reason... other drivers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive