Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 06:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,049,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
This is the way it used to be taught in driver's ed years ago, though it was largely due to the way highways were constructed and the considerably lower speeds on the highways - as in before it was common place to do 80mph. There are still some older roads/entrace ramps out there that still have stop signs at the end of the ramps -

Granted, these obviously aren't the super speedways of many highways these days, but many people will still drive the same way on to them.

Incidents like these are why I wish there were mandatory refresher courses to maintain a driver's license every few years.
I understand the stop signs, narrow roadway with little/no merge lane. The people I was commenting on stopped after a decent merge lane (the lane that continues after onramp to allow you to get up to the speed of traffic) or stopped halfway through the merge lane because they just couldn't bring themselves to push the pedal enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 07:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,049,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Whew! You guys are brutal, but I understand the frustration with people who don't use turn signals, I myself am extremely frustrated when people don't signal. It's one of the most frustrating things, along with drivers who drive well below the speed limit and are constantly braking for no reason. Around here that kind of behavior is endemic, like most other places (based on posters here). I just get so frustrated I say why should I myself use my signal if no one else does. I know it's the wrong attitude to have but you have to admit that's human nature to feel that way. And to answer another poster, while I actually think I signal more than the average driver in my area, I am guilty of not using my turn signal at every turn. I actually had no problem with the ticket, it just seemed the officer was singling me out. I'm not sure if he writes tickets all the time for not signaling or he was just in the mood to do so or maybe had to make his quota for the month. If he did ticket all the time he could make a hell of a lot of money for the city.

The other cars behind me were at least 100 feet behind in 20 mph traffic between stop light, and I inconvenienced no one. While I understand there could have been a car that I didn't see (hence the need for turn signals), I literally see people doing exactly what I did every couple of minutes on the road while I'm driving, and a lot worse. If I'm ticketed I wish everyone who changed lanes without signaling would be ticketed, that way we'd have everyone signaling all the time. It's really frustrating to see people not using signals all around you and then you're ticketed. I'll just pay the ticket and consider it lesson learned, the other options (going to court, talking to a lawyer), seem to be more trouble than it's worth.
First off, yes he singled you out, that's how it works with tickets. If he'd have ticketed someone else he would've "singled" them out.
As it was once explained to me when pulled over for speeding when going with the flow of traffic this exchange occurred.
Officer: "You were speeding". Me: I was going with the flow of traffic" Officer: "You were still speeding" Me: "So was everyone else, why didn't you stop them". Officer: "Have you ever been duck hunting?" Me: (being a smart aleck) "No". Officer: "Well when you hunt ducks and a flock flies over you shoot into the flock and one or two fall". Me:"And the point is? (knowing full well what was coming next).
Officer: "You're the DUCK".

As for the fines? OF COURSE it's about generating revenue for the locals. Truly taxation at the end of a gun. It was your "turn" to donate.

Personally I signal even when nobody is around, I've even caught myself signaling when the road makes a sharp curve. I got myself into the habit of using signals and it's just become second nature now. I mean is't only moving a finger to push/pull a lever that lets everyone know what you're up to.
As for not having to signal when nobody's around? Well in the time it takes you to decide that you could've just hit the blinker and not have to worry about it. It's not like you're using up the short lifespan of the bulb or lever right?

Old 11-23-2013, 08:31 AM

6,359 posts, read 7,790,816 times
Note to self: never drive in Honolulu.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:51 AM

458 posts, read 657,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I learned a long time ago to visually check both lanes, both in front and behind. If I am turning or changing lanes, my turn signal goes on, there is little thought involved.
I don't get why you are making this so complicated? Just use your freaking turn signal when turning or merging. Easy.
Amen, and preach on!

Old 11-23-2013, 09:53 AM

458 posts, read 657,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Long ago I made it a habit to ALWAYS! use my turn signal. I use it in store parking lots and on empty streets.
And amen to you, I'm 43 and have been driving since 16, and would never consider not using them

Old 11-23-2013, 10:34 AM

8,342 posts, read 13,482,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
I don't get the objection to using a turn signal if nobody is around. Is it really that much of an effort to lift or push that lever? Afraid you might have to buy a two dollar light bulb in four years instead of five?
After my last post I recalled one of the main reason why people, at least in So Cal, may not be inclined to use their turn signals and oddly enough, I have personally experienced it numerous times ever since I moved back to So Cal in 2009. The scenario I will describe hardly ever existed in the 90s or even most part of 2000s:

You start signaling before you actually initiate the lane change and even though there was ample space for the lane change, you witness the car coming behind you in the destination lane immediately accelerates as if they are trying to block you from getting in front of them. This happen a lot more frequently than I'd like to admit and I have heard this even here on the forums from bunch of other local drivers and from people at work. So, people don't signal or start signaling as they already initiate the lane change to give little or no chance for the potential jerk that may try to block their path.

I still signal but I don't wait the recommended 2-3 seconds to initiate the change, typically a second or so because I do not see too many courteous driving any more. I know sad but true.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:12 PM

373 posts, read 590,248 times
Turn signal tickets are the new speeding tickets. I got pulled over (get this) in a stopped line-up at a turnpike pay booth because I changed lanes without using my signal. No ticket, just a warning, which btw ,my insurance company found out about.

And, as for moving traffic, I totaly agree with TurcoLoco (just above) - exactly my observation.

Also..last several weeks there are cops everywhere. Take no chances. Forget the fine part...your auto insurance will skyrocket.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,084,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffedCabbage View Post

Also..last several weeks there are cops everywhere. Take no chances. Forget the fine part...your auto insurance will skyrocket.
It's enough to make you wonder if the cops are getting kickbacks from the insurance companies.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:28 PM

457 posts, read 694,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I just received a ticket for a turn signal violation, which I'm guilty of. It's a $97 fine, which I would pay but I just checked the ticket and the officer wrote down my violation twice so it's a $194 fine. I apparently switched lanes twice without signaling. I can pay the $97 but don't want to pay the $194, that's excessive, I wasn't speeding or endangering anyone. I'm thinking of challenging this in court. Should I do this? Anyone have experience with turn signal violations tickets? Looking for advice on what I should do, I really don't think I should have to pay $194 for failure to use my signal. Thanks in advance.
I'm thinking you should use your signals next time. They're there for a reason, and it takes literally one second to flip the switch to either side. You will get no remorse from me.

Also, tell the judge you don't think you should have to pay the $194 and tell me what he says.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:40 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,178,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltforSin View Post
I'm thinking you should use your signals next time. They're there for a reason, and it takes literally one second to flip the switch to either side. You will get no remorse from me.

Also, tell the judge you don't think you should have to pay the $194 and tell me what he says.
I actually really hope the OP comes back and posts what he decided to do, and how it turned out. I think it would be interesting, and possibly a learning experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive