Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 07:03 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,214,609 times

Advertisements

Some times when not on a freeway it is necessary to make a left hand turn. A few weeks ago I was forced to stay in left hand lane for a couple of miles looking for a turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 07:17 AM

3,768 posts, read 5,893,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
I can think of a pretty good reason to cruise in the left lane, because I've done it for dozens of miles at a time.

On one interstate in my state, I-90, the left lane was in much better condition than the rutted truckworn right lane. It was like this over the majority of its distance for a number of years.

It was just a better ride cruising in the left lane, so that's what most cars and light trucks did. If someone wanted to pass, you'd move to the right, let 'em pass, and move back to the left.

It was kind of ridiculous, but I'm not going beat my expensive car to bits just because the governor put a part-time charlatan in charge of the highway department, instead of a tenured civil engineer as the position was intended for. It seemed like I had plenty of company out on the road.

I think it's mostly been fixed recently, but there might still be stretches that haven't been repaved or rebuilt yet.
AMEN! If the road is not busy, the left lane usually is smoother and not so bumpy or noisy. However, I do become more vigilant about cars coming up on my tail.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:24 AM

19,207 posts, read 25,487,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Ohio seems to be one of the worst offenders. When we drove across country a few times it was always Ohio where we had to drive behind these oblivious drivers in the left lane, and swing over to the right to go around them.

When I pass those left-lane hogs on the right, a fairly large percentage of them react with wild hand gestures and what looks like shouting. More than likely, just as they don't know that it is illegal to cruise in the left lane when not passing someone, these oblivious morons probably also think that it is illegal to pass on the right on a multi-lane highway.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:48 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,189,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
When I pass those left-lane hogs on the right, a fairly large percentage of them react with wild hand gestures and what looks like shouting. More than likely, just as they don't know that it is illegal to cruise in the left lane when not passing someone, these oblivious morons probably also think that it is illegal to pass on the right on a multi-lane highway.

When I come up fast on idiots oblivious to others behind them in the left lane, I flash my lights for them to get over. If I have to slow down, you will get the "one finger salute" and a dirty look as I pass.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:55 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,514,546 times
If you make a habit to stay in left lane sooner or later there will be a situation when you are going side-by-side with someone in right lane and drivers are not able to overtake and you have a pack of cars behind you. Driving in a pack becomes more and more dangerous. So overtake and move right. Unfortunately many who complains about left lane hogs do hog in the left lane thinking they are driving faster so it's OK for them to stay there.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:16 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,244,855 times
"Cruising" is a word fraught with danger. A car driver cannot cruise anywhere. No matter what kind of a road you are on, constant attention to all other traffic and road conditions and celestial configurations is essential. If you are in the left lane, you cannot cruise. You take your place amid all the other drivers using the road, react to their movements, and occupy your space.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:19 AM

7,031 posts, read 14,527,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
The reason I pass left and get back over is because I am considerate of other drivers and that is the way I was taught to drive. In lots of States you can be ticketed for just riding along in the left lane if you are not passing other cars.

Ohio seems to be one of the worst offenders. When we drove across country a few times it was always Ohio where we had to drive behind these oblivious drivers in the left lane, and swing over to the right to go around them.

But respect and consideration are dying in every other area, so why not on the highway too.

Don
I've found the Midwest to be far more respectful about this than California. Trucks here routinely hog the left lane at ~60mph (on a 70mph Interstate.) I remember one time in Michigan some dude was hogging the left lane and another car pulled up in front of him and put on his blinkers to make his point until the offending car moved to the right.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:25 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,214,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
When I come up fast on idiots oblivious to others behind them in the left lane, I flash my lights for them to get over. If I have to slow down, you will get the "one finger salute" and a dirty look as I pass.
because YOU have the right to speed and break the law.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:29 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,491,095 times
If theres no one else about and the road conditions are better in the left lane i dont see a problem with using it as a travel lane rather than a passing lane as long as you move back to the right lane if some one coming up behind at a faster speed is going to ultimately pass you, relegating that faster car to having to pass you in the right lane IMO is a very discourteous action on your part..

Old 12-13-2013, 08:30 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,304,693 times
Another reason to change lanes instead of just cruising the left lane is to help ward off highway hypnosis. If you stay busy checking mirrors and changing lanes you are staying more alert about your surroundings instead of zoning in on just what's in front and simultaneously zoning out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive