Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 08:31 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,038,544 times

Advertisements

Is nobody taught that the left lane is for passing and not to sit and talk on the phone/do your make-up/read the paper/day dream anymore!

This practice clogs the freeway and is very inconsiderate at least and illegal at most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 08:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I thni theat speeders are also inconsiderate that cut in and out and follow too close.But I expect we are stuck with all of them.They all cause freeways to clog.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:34 PM

If the slow vehicles would stay out of the left lane, the ones that go faster would not have to change lanes as much.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:37 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
If the slow vehicles would stay out of the left lane, the ones that go faster would not have to change lanes as much.
agreed

Old 07-10-2009, 10:07 PM

GTOlover, I noticed you are from B.C.

Though you (and others) might relate to this:
RoadandTrack.com -- Side Glances - Side Glances (12/2005)

I really enjoy this writer, and this column is spot on!

Old 07-10-2009, 10:21 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times
Indeed, left-lane cruising reflects poorly upon both driver judgment and consideration for other drivers; such drivers risk becoming "victims" of road rage (sadly, not enough violence directed against such drivers; Darwinian selection operates too slowly); and most cars cruising in left lane tend to be low-value, 10yo+ cars w/inept drivers (they don't hand those cars out to just anyone)

Ironically, often drive on a freeway on SF Peninsula where many new $200K+ Mercedes and Ferraris are driven briskly for daily commuting; have yet to see one of these cars being driven irresponsibly....they have headlights on (even in daytime); use turn signals for lane changes; keep massive following distances at high speeds (more to avoid being rear-ended if driving a car w/high-powered brakes in any emergent deceleration); and avoid cruising in left lane (easier to be accused of speeding by CHP)...it's so obvious which drivers know how to drive safely at high speeds (or any speed); suspect driving/accident records of many drivers of new performance commuter cars are much safer/cleaner than 99+% of the guys aimlessly hogging left lane in their 10yo car/SUV at any speed

In fact, often enjoy seeing someone else blast by in the left lane to serve as my free "minesweeper" vs any upcoming speed enforcement

Old 07-10-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
In fact, often enjoy seeing someone else blast by in the left lane to serve as my free "minesweeper" vs any upcoming speed enforcement
Yup, I call them 'rabbits', I love it when I find a good one. I spend over an hour a day on the freeway and have a running tally of types and kinds of left lane hogs. Very scientific!

I too have noticed that, in general, performance cars are piloted by quick but responsible drivers. Celebs on the way to Palm Springs are a notable exception.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:40 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Indeed, left-lane cruising reflects poorly upon both driver judgment and consideration for other drivers; such drivers risk becoming "victims" of road rage (sadly, not enough violence directed against such drivers; Darwinian selection operates too slowly); and most cars cruising in left lane tend to be low-value, 10yo+ cars w/inept drivers (they don't hand those cars out to just anyone)

Ironically, often drive on a freeway on SF Peninsula where many new $200K+ Mercedes and Ferraris are driven briskly for daily commuting; have yet to see one of these cars being driven irresponsibly....they have headlights on (even in daytime); use turn signals for lane changes; keep massive following distances at high speeds (more to avoid being rear-ended if driving a car w/high-powered brakes in any emergent deceleration); and avoid cruising in left lane (easier to be accused of speeding by CHP)...it's so obvious which drivers know how to drive safely at high speeds (or any speed); suspect driving/accident records of many drivers of new performance commuter cars are much safer/cleaner than 99+% of the guys aimlessly hogging left lane in their 10yo car/SUV at any speed

haha I do the same thing some young kid will blow past me then I will let him be the guinea pig to see if there are speed traps up ahead

Old 07-10-2009, 10:52 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Is nobody taught that the left lane is for passing and not to sit and talk on the phone/do your make-up/read the paper/day dream anymore!

This practice clogs the freeway and is very inconsiderate at least and illegal at most.
They chap my hide.

DRIVE RIGHT needs to be taught and enforced, just like on the Autobahn in Germany. It would actually make our highways and interstates safer.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:39 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
Quote:
Yup, I call them 'rabbits', I love it when I find a good one. I spend over an hour a day on the freeway and have a running tally of types and kinds of left lane hogs. Very scientific!
Haha these are known as "pointmen" in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive