Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:47 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Why in the SCCA stock class would they put the 1996 Camaro with the less powerful LT1 engine in A-Stock right next to the S2000 then? And this is on a tight autocross ciruit where you would think the Honda would shine!
Well actually, only the Camaro SS (which by the way has an LT4 engine, not LT1) is in A-stock, where apparently it needs all of its (underrated) 330HP to compete with an S2000, which only got moved to A-stock after it started creaming everything in B Stock. All other Camaro V8s are in F-stock along with all the rest of the lumbering American hardware like Mustangs and AMC Javelins and Buick Grand Nationals and Dodge Ram SRT10s and any Corvette built before 1962.

Number of times an S2000 has won the SCCA Solo Nationals in A Stock:: 1
Number of times a Camaro SS has won the SCCA Solo Nationals in A Stock: 0

Number of times an S2000 has won the SCCA Solo Nationals in A Stock Ladies: 2
Number of times a Camaro SS has won the SCCA Solo Nationals in A Stock Ladies: 0

Number of times an S2000 won B stock before it got moved: 3 (not bad considering it won 3 of the 4 model years of its existence in B Stock before being moved)
Number of times an S2000 won B Stock Ladies before it got moved: 3 (see note above)

Number of times any stock Camaro has won the SCCA Solo Nationals in any class higher than F Stock: 0

Chances that any Camaro can even touch an S2000 on an autocross course: 0

Last edited by Drover; 01-19-2008 at 09:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 08:58 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well actually, only the Camaro SS (which by the way has an LT4 engine, not LT1) is in A-stock, where apparently it needs all of its (underrated) 330HP to compete with an S2000, which only got moved to A-stock after it started creaming everything in B Stock. All other Camaro V8s are in F-stock along with all the rest of the lumbering American hardware like Mustangs and AMC Javelins and Buick Grand Nationals and Dodge Ram SRT10s and any Corvette built before 1962.

Number of times an S2000 has won the SCCA Solo Nationals in A Stock:: 1
Number of times a Camaro SS has won the SCCA Solo Nationals in A Stock: 0

Number of times an S2000 has won the SCCA Solo Nationals in A Stock Ladies: 2
Number of times a Camaro SS has won the SCCA Solo Nationals in A Stock Ladies: 0

Number of times any Camaro has won the SCCA Solo Nationals in any class other than F Class: 0

I mistyped on the engine in case you missed the edit.

You can make all the excuses you like and show the stats from ONE RACE (The nationals) but the cars still compete together every weekend around the country which means they are the same playing field.

BTW, how do you explain the Camaro being in SS in 00 and the S2000 being in AS? Let me guess...they made a mistake.

Quote:
Yeah, that Camaro sure is a real tough competitor on the autocross circuit. So tough that all but the Corvette-engine-equipped versions are relegated to F stock.
ALL V8 Camaro/Firebirds 97+ have the LS1 - it's not a "Covette engine equipped car" like it's some special model.

As for the F-Stock comment on older Camaro's etc I guess it's really bad that the G35 Coupe and 335i ('07+) are in that class too. So you have a 20 year old Camaro competing with an 07 BMW 335i. Real terrible. LOL

The hate for all things American is showing it's ugly face around here for sure!

What a shame...

Old 01-19-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I mistyped on the engine in case you missed the edit.

ALL V8 Camaro/Firebirds 97+ have the LS1 - it's not a "Covette engine equipped car" like it's some special model.

You can make all the excuses you like and show the stats from ONE RACE (The nationals) but the cars still compete together every weekend around the country which means they are the same playing field.

BTW, how do you explain the Camaro being in SS in 00 and the S2000 being in AS? Let me guess...they made a mistake.

The hate for all things American is showing it's ugly face around here for sure!

What a shame...
For one, there is no Camaro in Super Stock. If there was, then evidently, yes it was a mistake as it has since been reclassified. For another, That "one race" is distilled from competition from all around the country and the cars they use are tested at those competitions you speak of.

I've personally never seen an S2000 in action at an autocross, but I have seen Camaros, and they aren't anywhere close to competitive with anything with serious handling. They're mostly relegated to F Stock for a reason.

My "hate" for American cars is well founded in observation and personal experience. It is a shame indeed that no American car company can make a car that so many American consumers don't hate. They're getting closer but they're not there yet.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
For one, there is no Camaro in Super Stock. If there was, then evidently, yes it was a mistake as it has since been reclassified. For another, That "one race" is distilled from competition from all around the country and the cars they use are tested at those competitions you speak of.

I've personally never seen an S2000 in action at an autocross, but I have seen Camaros, and they aren't anywhere close to competitive with anything with serious handling. They're mostly relegated to F Stock for a reason.
So you've never seen an S2K race but you know it's a better handling car than the Camaro? LOL

I guess you don't know what your talking about then...The year was 2000, the SS Camaro was in Super Stock. Once cars like the Z06 and C6 Corvette moved in, they bumped it to A-Stock. It's fact.

So you actually think every single autocross competitor having fun on the weekend is trying to get to the run offs (Nationals) in Kansas? ROFL. Sure kid...

All 96+ Camaro's are in A-Stock. None are in F-Stock. The older Camaros are in F-Stock, and so is the G35 Coupe and 07+ BMW 335i. What part do you not understand?

Old 01-19-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
So you've never seen an S2K race but you know it's a better handling car than the Camaro? LOL

I guess you don't know what your talking about then...The year was 2000, the SS Camaro was in Super Stock. Once cars like the Z06 and C6 Corvette moved in, they bumped it to A-Stock. It's fact.

So you actually think every single autocross competitor having fun on the weekend is trying to get to the run offs (Nationals) in Kansas? ROFL. Sure kid...

All 96+ Camaro's are in A-Stock. None are in F-Stock. The older Camaros, and so is the G35 Coupe and 07+ BMW 335i. What part do you not understand?
First of all, I'm not a "kid": I'm old enough to have owned nearly 20 cars in my lifetime -- Japanese, German, American, Swedish; from Chevy and Ford to Porsche and Audi, and lots in between. So don't patronize me. If you're unwilling or unable to have a mature discussion, please let me know so I can put you on my ignore list.

Second, I don't have to actually "see" an S2000 race to know whether or not it handles better than X, Y or Z car any more than I have to be in Paris to know that France is in Western Europe. Handling characteristics can be objectively defined, quantified and expressed, which it has been in publications all over the world for both the Camaro and the S2000. And the jury's already back on this one: the S2000 is simply one of the best-handling production cars on the market this side of high-priced exotics (though it can even hang with some of them). The fact that it's even in A stock already says a lot about its handling ability before one ever even delves into the specifics. And yes, it will whip the pants off of any Camaro in the handling department, even an SS.

And third, no, not all 96+ Camaros are in A Stock. See http://www.scca.com/documents/Solo%2...7SoloRules.pdf where it clearly says that all Camaro V8s not otherwise categorized (in other words, all except the 96+ SS) are in F Stock.

Last edited by Drover; 01-19-2008 at 10:10 AM..

Old 01-19-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
The fact that it's even in A stock already says a lot about its handling ability before one ever even delves into the specifics.
Good, so with the SS being in SUPER Stock in 00-01 then you must agree that a Camaro SS has great handling ability too.

Have a nice day.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:42 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
How many cubes?
Obviously, a 427 Yenko Nova has a 427-cu-in engine.

Quote:
How much MPG? Does it have to meet strict emissions requirements?
MPG? They were esentially production drag racing cars available to the public. The buyers did not purchase them for fuel mileage!

Quote:
How about several cats and other choking devices, not to mention every luxury amenity known to man? The Lexus will smoke the Yenko in top speed, braking, handling, MPG, cruising, amenities, comfort, etc, etc. Now, which is the superior automobile again? Surely not that aged dinosaur Yenko.
The Yenko will smoke any stock Lexus in the category it was built for... 1/4 mile drag racing. Comfort? Are you kidding? Who needs "comfort" when tearing down a 1/4 mile track? If they want comfort, along with power, then they bought cars like 427 Chevy Impalas or a 455 Stage 1 Buicks GS or a 440 Plymouth GTX.
Which is superior? Well, for 1/4 mile drag racing, the Yenko for sure over the Lexus!

Old 01-19-2008, 03:19 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
The LS1 Camaro was a 12 second car out of the box. The S2000 on it's BEST day destroying the clutch (That torque thing again) MIGHT get into the 13's. MAYBE. The same abuse on an SS put the car square in the 12's and it could do it time and time again without self destructing
I forget the year/month, but R&T had a article called "sibling rivalry", where they compared sports cars from the same companies (ie NSX and S2000, Z28 SS and Vette, Boxter and Carrera, etc). The 0-60 time and 1/4 mile time of the S2000 was identical to the SS.

Its ok to be ashamed that a car with 3.7 less liters and 4 less cylinders can keep up with a SS. Thats just sad.

Anyways, keep driving your dinosaurs around, tinkering with carbs and bent pushrods. Ill keep liking my true sports cars, not pretenders who are only good at one thing (stomping on the gas and going in a straight line for 1,320 ft). Yawn.

I really CANNOT COMPREHEND why on earth youd even put up an argument! Id be ASHAMED of myself for even mentioning the word Camaro in the same sentence as S2000. The S2000 clubs the Camaro silly in ALL aspects, with alot less power too. OUCH.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:21 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Good, so with the SS being in SUPER Stock in 00-01 then you must agree that a Camaro SS has great handling ability too.

Have a nice day.
Miatas and NEONS own Camaros at autocross events. Once again, its ok to be ashamed. Dont water down your beer too much with those tears.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I forget the year/month, but R&T had a article called "sibling rivalry", where they compared sports cars from the same companies (ie NSX and S2000, Z28 SS and Vette, Boxter and Carrera, etc). The 0-60 time and 1/4 mile time of the S2000 was identical to the SS.

Its ok to be ashamed that a car with 3.7 less liters and 4 less cylinders can keep up with a SS. Thats just sad.
Now your just flame baiting. Any person who knows even a little about the LS1 Camaro knows it would flat blow the S2000 off the map in a drag race and regularly went into the 12's...bone stock and deep in the 12's on a set of drag radials.

But since we are magazine racing - GM High Tech Performance Mag

Quote:
"The Drivers
Critics have claimed our amazing test results have more to do with the driver behind the wheel than the cars themselves. There is no denying that Evan Smith, our resident hot shoe, has an uncanny ability for running the quarter mile, as evidenced by his 12.89 run in a stock 1999 Z28 "
The Real World: 2001Camaro SS - Feature - GM High-Tech Performance

It's common knowledge that the SS is a 12 second car out of the box with a good hook.

Again you are showing your lack of common "car guy" knowledge.

Keep thinking an S2000 can hang with a SS Camaro in a straight line kid...there's a big real world out there your going to find someday.

Quote:
Ill keep liking my true sports cars
You don't even know the true definition of a sports car. LOL It's a 2 door, drop top...the old guard used to toss in "two seater" on top of it. Like I said, the S2000 is the only car in Honda's lineup that meets that description.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive