Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:58 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The irony is that on a truck "boxy" is actually very aerodynamic. All of the light duty truck manufacturers are moving towards boxier, more aerodynamic, frontends in order to help meet CAFE standards. Of course this will leave less room for the designers to differentiate their brand.
Why do you say this? There are minor changes they have been making to trucks to improve aerodynamics - but staying boxy has nothing to do with it. The 2015 F150 has more noticably angled headlights, which reduces the disruption of airflow to the sides. They are starting to include front grills that have a shutter to reduce air flow through the grill at highway speeds.

The first and largest factor to affect aerodynamics is frontal area. That includes the width, height, and ground clearance. All of the trucks fail on that. Aero can be improved by lowering the vehicle, reshaping the front (to be less like a vertical brick), canting the windshield, etc. They are starting to do do that now.

But truck makers are still afraid to weaken the rugged look they think is so important to truck buyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 10:53 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,759,495 times
Do the trucks have to meet the Euro pedestrian crash standards? Many cars are having to have much higher grills and hoods now due to the requirement to have the front structure and hood a certain distance form the engine. Could be trucks are now seeing that factor in.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:58 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,762,837 times
Righy now the GM pickups are the quietest and have the best MPG ratings. I dont think Ford has released the ratings on their new lightened truck but the idea that they dont know how to make them more aerodynamic without making them into jellybeans is silly.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:13 AM

24,469 posts, read 17,211,031 times
I thought the same about the new Ford style, it reminded me of a cross between a Dodge and a Toyota. The style sells so maybe that is why Chevy is jumping on too.

I also agree with the OP that the new Corvette does look like a Camaro in the back.

Coming out with a big style change can be dangerous. If the market thinks your truck is ugly guess what it won't sell so copy a proven style and have success. Maybe the designers need a kick in the butt? Remember back in the day when almost every year style would change on a car.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:57 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,286,531 times
I wish they would put a frontend on trucks instead of van length fronts ahead of the windshields. Had a Ford salesman want to show me a f150 a while back. I told him if a wanted a pick up bedded van, I would save the money and build it like my old 1 I used to have, but I don't like sitting that close to the grille. If you use a tape measure and measure out from base of A-Piller to leading edge of the hood, the new trucks are only 1 1/2" to 2" longer at that point!!!
Attached Thumbnails
New Chevy pickup trucks trying to look like Ford?-e350-truck-bed.jpg  

Old 01-21-2014, 02:50 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
I wish they would put a frontend on trucks instead of van length fronts ahead of the windshields. Had a Ford salesman want to show me a f150 a while back. I told him if a wanted a pick up bedded van, I would save the money and build it like my old 1 I used to have, but I don't like sitting that close to the grille. If you use a tape measure and measure out from base of A-Piller to leading edge of the hood, the new trucks are only 1 1/2" to 2" longer at that point!!!

Yeah a Toy hauler like this dropped on the 99-04 F-350 Super Duty Dually PU chassis with the 7.3 power stroke or a Ram 3500 Dually chassis with Cummins would make a great and interesting Tow/Haul/Work truck/Camping/Long Road trip Vehicle.

Would make a neat shop truck or skilled trades work truck used to haul all your gear and Tools around and to advertise your business with.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:54 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,762,837 times
That thing is hideous and would never succeed in the market...

theres always that guy that thinks hes figured it all out and everybody else is doing it wrong...

Old 01-21-2014, 04:33 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
That thing is hideous and would never succeed in the market...

theres always that guy that thinks hes figured it all out and everybody else is doing it wrong...
True and it would be cheaper and more cost effective to just go and buy a new or late model F-550 Toy hauler if you had a Massive 5th Wheel Camper /Car trailer or large Boat.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:50 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Why do you say this? There are minor changes they have been making to trucks to improve aerodynamics - but staying boxy has nothing to do with it. The 2015 F150 has more noticably angled headlights, which reduces the disruption of airflow to the sides. They are starting to include front grills that have a shutter to reduce air flow through the grill at highway speeds.

The first and largest factor to affect aerodynamics is frontal area. That includes the width, height, and ground clearance. All of the trucks fail on that. Aero can be improved by lowering the vehicle, reshaping the front (to be less like a vertical brick), canting the windshield, etc. They are starting to do do that now.

But truck makers are still afraid to weaken the rugged look they think is so important to truck buyers.
In an environment where the basic truck design needs to be retained for aesthetics and utility there is only so much they can do. The "frontal area" isn't just the space in front of the grill, but the entire front side of the truck, including all surfaces. The flatter the front, the less surface there is to contact, the lower the drag, Hence, why grill areas are becoming more prominent and flatter/"boxier" as they are more aerodynamic in the realm of trucks than the older designs. Even though some of them look more aerodynamic with various rounded edges. Everything else you mentioned is absolutely correct and I did not mean to imply "boxy" as in "boxed" 90 degree corners. The overall concept is seen most clearly on larger trucks where cab overs are much more aerodynamically efficient then conventional trucks.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:28 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,496,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
The front end on the new Chevy truck is really aerodynamic? To me it looks like a wind-catcher with a big ugly grill. Will have to look into that some more. The 99-02 body styling looks smoother and like it would be more aero to me. There seems to be a bigger is better way of thought with pickup trucks now which I don't think necessarily equates to more work practicality or ease of use.

Maybe at least the new ones have brake lines made of a more rustproof steel because I know that has been a problem. And it seems that Ford has had more rot and rusting problems on their pickup except for the brake lines, not sure about those. Maybe they were placed in a better way on the Fords. Any experience on that?
If memory serves correct, the GM trucks and their bad electrical systems had a habit of making those batteries drip acid over the brake lines, probably from those alternators overcharging enough. I think my mom's 98 Chevy had that issue withe corroded brake line.

I have yet to experience that on my 03 F150, but with the fake gauges, I wouldn't know about it, anyway. The 08 dims a slight bit at idle, which could be an alternator, but those fake gauges again wouldn't tell me that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive