Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2014, 09:37 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,094,898 times

Advertisements

The whole idea of "buying American" anything is completely illogical and silly. Not only cars, but anything. It is not patriotic, it serves no purpose, it makes our country weaker, not stronger.

People just don't think anymore. They just accept the jingoistic bromides on faith and scream them out of their parrot cages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 09:53 PM

4,633 posts, read 12,347,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
The whole idea of "buying American" anything is completely illogical and silly. Not only cars, but anything. It is not patriotic, it serves no purpose, it makes our country weaker, not stronger.

People just don't think anymore. They just accept the jingoistic bromides on faith and scream them out of their parrot cages.
Ironic too hear from someone who makes a living profiting from American sales? There you go people, be aware of who you buy from, because they may be in it for selfish reasons and not care about Americans.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:58 PM

102,346 posts, read 108,621,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I had two grandfathers that worked for the American auto industry their entire lives-- one for Chrysler and one for GM. They both fought in WW2. They both were vehemently opposed to Japanese cars.

I find that I have this same bias, though Japanese cars have been demonstrated time and again to be reliable and affordable to own. When I look at cars, I never even consider Japanese cars. I know this is silly, as many are now made in the US, but I can't shake it. Am I nuts? I also find that I really don't like the design of most cars, and Japanese cars tend to be pretty unimaginative when it comes to that. So I have an aesthetic bias as well.

How do you feel about Japanese cars? Does this even matter anymore in 2014?
Yes, it matters. If it didn't matter, Toyota and Honda wouldn't be doing so well, and Toyota wouldn't have a factory in the US.

I wouldn't buy anything but a Japanese car. if the US automakers don't like that, they can improve their product so it's competitive. It's their choice.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, it matters. If it didn't matter, Toyota and Honda wouldn't be doing so well, and Toyota wouldn't have a factory in the US.

I wouldn't buy anything but a Japanese car. if the US automakers don't like that, they can improve their product so it's competitive. It's their choice.
They ya go, the best reason to buy from a country that drove planes into America and killed our brother and sisters I've heard to date. The perception that the product of a country who killed Americans is better. Will the ignorance never end?

Old 02-22-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Ironic too hear from someone who makes a living profiting from American sales? There you go people, be aware of who you buy from, because they may be in it for selfish reasons and not care about Americans.
If I am in it for selfish reasons, and I'm American, I guess I care about Americans.

If you want to support America, and Americans, then buy the best damned product, and don't worry about where it was made or who made it.

But seriously, you sound like the typical person who has heard the "Buy American" nonsense so many times that you simply believe it. Without asking why it's true. Or researching why it might be totally false.

I am not going to instruct you here, as that would amount to a hijack, but I'll offer you some appetizers:

Why 'Buy American' Is a Bad Idea

Is "Buy American" Un-American? | Marotta On Money

Old 02-22-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
They ya go, the best reason to buy from a country that drove planes into America and killed our brother and sisters I've heard to date. The perception that the product of a country who killed Americans is better. Will the ignorance never end?
Seriously? Pearl Harbor? I guess I should still hate the British too. They killed my brothers and sisters. While I am at it, those damnable residents of Georgia and South Carolina killed my brothers and sisters too.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
If I am in it for selfish reasons, and I'm American, I guess I care about Americans.

If you want to support America, and Americans, then buy the best damned product, and don't worry about where it was made or who made it.

But seriously, you sound like the typical person who has heard the "Buy American" nonsense so many times that you simply believe it. Without asking why it's true. Or researching why it might be totally false.

I am not going to instruct you here, as that would amount to a hijack, but I'll offer you some appetizers:

Why 'Buy American' Is a Bad Idea

Is "Buy American" Un-American? | Marotta On Money
Look, you can provide extremists websites why it's acceptable to be anti American all you want and I will not waver. The American soldier will protect you no matter what extremist belief you may have. I personally feel shame for your extremist view of such a great nation. When you send a foreign soldier to pay the ultimate sacrifice for your anti American ideal I will support your ideal. Until that time I would suggest you move to the country you feel is better than red, white, and blue.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Seriously? Pearl Harbor? I guess I should still hate the British too. They killed my brothers and sisters. While I am at it, those damnable residents of Georgia and South Carolina killed my brothers and sisters too.
Please feel free to move there if you feel it is better. Otherwise, you need to bleed red white and blue. Geez

Old 02-22-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Look, you can provide extremists websites why it's acceptable to be anti American all you want and I will not waver. The American soldier will protect you no matter what extremist belief you may have. I personally feel shame for your extremist view of such a great nation. When you send a foreign soldier to pay the ultimate sacrifice for your anti American ideal I will support your ideal. Until that time I would suggest you move to the country you feel is better than red, white, and blue.
Yes, of course. You don't want to think. So you are not going to think. You just want to feel. And any site that disagrees with your silliness is "extremist". So you want to be a parakeet and squawk the "Buy American" nonsense, even though it hurts Americans, hurts America, hurts our future, and threatens to relegate us to the scrap heap of history.

But you'll be sitting in some godforsaken rusted out art deco diner, wrapped in your tattered Stars and Stripes, ordering rotten apple pie and wondering where it all went wrong.

I'll tell you where it went wrong. When Americans stopped thinking. And threw away Reason in favor of Treason.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Yes, of course. You don't want to think. So you are not going to think. You just want to feel. And any site that disagrees with your silliness is "extremist". So you want to be a parakeet and squawk the "Buy American" nonsense, even though it hurts Americans, hurts America, hurts our future, and threatens to relegate us to the scrap heap of history.

But you'll be sitting in some godforsaken rusted out art deco diner, wrapped in your tattered Stars and Stripes, ordering rotten pple pie and wondering where it all went wrong.

I'll tell you where it went wrong. When Americans stopped thinking. And threw away Reason in favor of Treason.
Garbage, with zero point. You don't like being American then move to a country of your choice, or state that currently supports bigotry like the Southern states. If you live in a state with reasonable ideals were a decent wage is made then supporting backwards ideals is unacceptable, and makes you a hypocrite.
Currently, Gop pundits are bragging about how great Putin is compared to America's commander in chief. Don't be a hypocrite and move in next door to the GOP hero Snowden and you'll feel right at home as a traitor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive