Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 03:45 PM

3 posts, read 15,976 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
We will be buying a fifth wheel (~6000lbs plus max 2000 lbs of goods) that will weigh about 8000lbs. With a built-in safety of 25% I intend to buy a pickup capable of towing 10,000lbs per manufacturer ratings. Two questions:
1. Have received comments from salesmen disparaging other manufacturers' towing capacities. Anyone know anything to this other than "salemanship" ?
2. Most half tons can get to the 10000lb number, but am I going to be wearing it out faster? Should I bite the bullet and move up to a 3/4 ton with a diesel and relax knowing I have plenty of truck for the duration? We live in western Colorado and any trip of and duration in any direction requires crossing at least one 10,000ft pass so pulling AND stopping will be significant.
Thank
Doug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 03:55 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,278,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddogdr View Post
Hi everyone,
We will be buying a fifth wheel (~6000lbs plus max 2000 lbs of goods) that will weigh about 8000lbs. With a built-in safety of 25% I intend to buy a pickup capable of towing 10,000lbs per manufacturer ratings. Two questions:
1. Have received comments from salesmen disparaging other manufacturers' towing capacities. Anyone know anything to this other than "salemanship" ?

Salesmanship. Just make sure you verify the towing capacities rather than just taking some salesman's word for it. And make sure the truck actually comes equipped with the tow package, not just that it's rated to tow that much weight.

Quote:
2. Most half tons can get to the 10000lb number, but am I going to be wearing it out faster? Should I bite the bullet and move up to a 3/4 ton with a diesel and relax knowing I have plenty of truck for the duration? We live in western Colorado and any trip of and duration in any direction requires crossing at least one 10,000ft pass so pulling AND stopping will be significant.
Today's "half ton" pickups (150/1500 series) are rated about the same as the 3/4 ton pickups of yesterday so you'd probably be fine from a performance standpoint. But if your plan is to keep the truck for the long haul I'd go ahead and upgrade to the 250/2500 series for the peace of mind. If you're planning to trade every couple of years or so it probably doesn't matter so much.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:16 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Salesmanship. Just make sure you verify the towing capacities rather than just taking some salesman's word for it. And make sure the truck actually comes equipped with the tow package, not just that it's rated to tow that much weight.

Today's "half ton" pickups (150/1500 series) are rated about the same as the 3/4 ton pickups of yesterday so you'd probably be fine from a performance standpoint. But if your plan is to keep the truck for the long haul I'd go ahead and upgrade to the 250/2500 series for the peace of mind. If you're planning to trade every couple of years or so it probably doesn't matter so much.

In order to have the high tow ratings you need to get a specific optioned tow/haul package with different gearing suspension etc. Just because the manufacturer say 1/2 ton truck can tow 11-12,000 pounds that doesn't apply to the whole line. I don't know anyone who tows 12k with a 1/2 ton.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:19 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,330,060 times
Op if you are towing with a 5th Wheel and plan on doing quite alot of towing with it IMO I would just skip the 1/2-ton and start looking at the 3/4-ton and SRW 1-ton Trucks.

Also like Duster1979 said make sure to get the towing package also and go for the best powertrain options that get the highest rated the tow/haul numbers which will have a number or a * beside the maximum towing payload capacity that will have the highest rated power train option and packages listed in the small print online or in the brochures.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:28 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,299,513 times
Doug,
My parents live in a 32' 5th wheel more than 6 months out of the year. They have a lot in AZ where they're at now, and will be in Bend, OR in the Summer. A half ton truck is not even a consideration for so much weight. My dad has always used a 1 ton truck with dual rear wheels for additional stability. He's added a 60 gallon tank in the bed for greater towing capacity. A half ton truck can pull a 24' without much problem, but more than that is pushing. Today's tow ratings may pull it, but pulling it easily, and with stability requires a bigger rig. Minimum of 3/4 ton single rear wheel. Just go to a park with blue hairs and they'll love too tell you.

Brand? He liked his 2000 Dodge, but loves his 2012 Ford 350, but they're all good. I'm sure to take heat over that from diesel freaks.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:37 PM

819 posts, read 1,410,704 times
I would definitely go 3/4 ton diesel for that type of weight and where you'll be towing. I used to tow about two thirds of that with a 1/2 ton gas v8 and while it was fine around town here in flat Florida, a couple round trips to Alabama were really kind of scary once you got up to highway speeds for extended periods of time. Big trucks blowing by and making my entire truck and trailer move around uncomfortably like I was driving through a hurricane, the engine would sound like it was really laboring maintaining speed on hills, trailers would move around a LOT even with sway control on instances where I was hitch towing instead of fifth wheel. After a few long trips I got a Chevy 2500 diesel and it was like a whole new world; I could cruise at 75mph and even if a big rig blows by me, everything is nice and stable. I sold the thing at about 75000 miles because I got rid of what I used to tow, but while figuring out what to sell it at by looking at ebay, there were lots of the same model for sale with 150,000 to 250,000 miles so I know these things last. You also get the benefit of great engine braking if necessary. You could go gas as well, some of the big trucks have gas engines that are pretty stout these days, but they'll be working harder so I'd think that would contribute to longevity.

I don't have any dog in the fight about specific brands; I'm sure they're all better than my truck was since it's been about four years. A friend has a Kingranch edition Ford and it has a few things that I thought were pretty cool; there are mounting points in the bed so you just snap in the fifth wheel adapter as needed, but have a full unobstructed bed the rest of the time. The gate has a pop-out step and pop-up railing arm so it's super easy to get in and out of the bed. Camera on the bumper for easy attaching hitch trailers. I'm sure the other brands have probably copied whoever had it first.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:48 PM

66 posts, read 102,774 times
All manu's will adhere to a standard guideline of SAE towing standards in 2015.

Detroit 3 to implement delayed unified towing standards for 2015 - Autoblog

As of right now everyone except Toyota (who voluntarily adheres) is pulling numbers out of their anuses.

Naturally aspirated engines will lose about 30% torque at that altitude in CO. You will absolutely hate life in a naturally aspirated vehicle towing 8k awkward pounds in Colorado. I speak from experience. It will be a white knuckle high-revving adventure from hell.

The only half tons I would consider at that weight/altitude would be a new Ram diesel or an F150 ecoboost w/ max tow package AND heavy payload package(payload will be an issue as fifth wheels are heavy that way).

At 8K loaded you're in that in-betweener stage where it's not flat out irresponsible to drive a modern well-equipped half ton but it's right there on the cusp. I appreciate the fact that you'll want to stay in the 1/2 ton range as 3/4 ton modern diesels are a HUGE step up financially.

But for me, the fact that you'll be driving at elevation on gnarly roads w/ serious grade is the clincher. I would personally bite the bullet and get a 3/4 ton diesel. Easy for me to say $$$ but there it is.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:24 PM

25,582 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Just encouraging the OP to listen to those who discourage him from using a 1/2 ton pickup. It just isn't up to the job.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:29 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,689,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
In order to have the high tow ratings you need to get a specific optioned tow/haul package with different gearing suspension etc. Just because the manufacturer say 1/2 ton truck can tow 11-12,000 pounds that doesn't apply to the whole line. I don't know anyone who tows 12k with a 1/2 ton.
I've done it, and it isn't the most pleasant thing in the world.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:37 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,480,618 times
3/4 ton truck at a minimum. At that weight, a diesel is much preferable--especially at altitude. With either gas or diesel, prepare to be very upset with what it costs to fuel the thing when towing. Likely over 40 cents per mile for fuel alone--that at today's prices. Near certainty that it will be way more than that in not too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive