Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 05:51 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,976 times

Advertisements

First, let me say I am a woman and I know very little about mechanical matters. I am in the process of replacing my well-worn Prius. I do not want another hybrid. The short list I will want to test drive is this: Mercedes 250 or 300, Lexus IS, BMW 328i, Audi and probably a Subaru outback just for comparison. Yes, I know the Subaru is not in the same league, but I have friends who want me to drive one.

Now, yesterday I went to Mercedes. THe salesperson was very knowledgable about his product, of course. The car looks pretty good (C250). So, when he offered me a test drive I say yes. Well, we drove for maybe a total of 2 miles...all on surface roads (no highway) and he seemed to think that was enough for me to see if I liked it. Ummm....no. Sure, I could have asked for a longer/better test ride, but it was evident to me that he was not interested in going further. Of course, I will go to another dealer to drive it again, but my question is this: have any of you ever had such a short and uninformative test ride?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 06:22 AM

2,158 posts, read 3,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
First, let me say I am a woman and I know very little about mechanical matters. I am in the process of replacing my well-worn Prius. I do not want another hybrid. The short list I will want to test drive is this: Mercedes 250 or 300, Lexus IS, BMW 328i, Audi and probably a Subaru outback just for comparison. Yes, I know the Subaru is not in the same league, but I have friends who want me to drive one.

Now, yesterday I went to Mercedes. THe salesperson was very knowledgable about his product, of course. The car looks pretty good (C250). So, when he offered me a test drive I say yes. Well, we drove for maybe a total of 2 miles...all on surface roads (no highway) and he seemed to think that was enough for me to see if I liked it. Ummm....no. Sure, I could have asked for a longer/better test ride, but it was evident to me that he was not interested in going further. Of course, I will go to another dealer to drive it again, but my question is this: have any of you ever had such a short and uninformative test ride?
I went to test drive a used Toyota once and the salesman insisted on going with me and turning back shortly. I told him, never mind, I will buy a car somewhere else. I own a repair shop and where I refer my customers looking for a car they let you go out for the car on your own all day. If you are a musician or a cyclist you can do a trial loading of your gear to see how it fits. What if you found out the seating of a car gave you back discomfort after 4 hours? A long test drive is essential when your choices get narrowed down.

Don in Austin

Old 03-16-2014, 06:29 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,976 times
I agree with you, Don. I would have liked taking the car out by myself, doing some high speed highway driving (most of my commute to work is high speed), etc. Of course, the Mercedes is a pricey car, maybe they dont allow that sort of thing? Believe me, I would never buy a car, especially one in this price range, without a very long test ride.

I am currently renting a Corolla while my Prius is in the shop. I drove it yesterday for about 2 hours and I could hardly walk after sitting in that thing for that long. My sciatic nerve is still killing me. So, yes, I want to see if any car I am about to buy will give me a bad back!!

Old 03-16-2014, 06:29 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,768 times
Most dealers are like that. They get a lot of tire kickers every day and spending a lot of time with each one is not in their best interests. Be assertive and ask for more time behind the wheel. I've never had anyone say no. Pick a route out you'd like to drive and make it a reasonable amount of time.
My first stop when buying a new car is to read as many reviews as I can. See what reviewers like or dislike about a car. That may whittle down your list some. Then a short test drive is fine. That may whittle it down some more. Then, with the cars you're really serious about, ask for a better test drive. If they balk, walk away.
I value a good dealer as much as a good car. I find it harder to find a good dealer than a good car. If they won't treat you right as a prospective customer, imagine what after the sale will be like. Nice cars you're considering. Love the BMW , and the new ones have a 4 year, service included warranty. Good luck.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:58 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,794,210 times
Yes it has but only once and what I did was call the new car sales manager at that dealership when I got home and gave him the facts plus stated that I would be going to different dealership.

He was soooooooo nice on the phone promising that he would talk to the salesperson I spoke with but I told him that you get only (1) bite at the apple and I would never go back.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:23 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,140,569 times
I'm a woman, and hate dealing with salesmen at car dealerships. They shut up pretty quickly when I start asking them questions they don't know the answers to. I was very impressed when I went to some dealers recently (by myself). I test drove a land rover évoque and the guy let me spend an hour with the car, he was knowledgable, and let me drive wherever I wanted. It was great. I test drove an acura mdx, and they had a set route that I drove, the salesman had a very thick accent that I couldn't understand very well, and while I loved the car, I didn't like that experience. I drove an Infiniti SUV and it was a woman salesperson, and she was great. That was also a set route, but at least I really enjoyed talking with her. And I test drove a Nissan pathfinder and they let me test drive it alone...and that was the BEST experience. No one was talking to me, I could listen to the car, radio, road noise, etc.

I would try some other dealerships. They are not all the same.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:26 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
First impressions are a big deal to dealership salesmen. If I drive up in a nice car, they bend over backwards to help, have no problems with an extended test drive or even letting me take the car for a few hours/days. If I drive up in a crappy car, the service I receive usually matches. Sometimes that's a good thing if I don't want to be hassled and just want to go look at different cars without anyone pestering me.

Either way, be up front about what you expect to accomplish during your visit. If you want an extended test drive, say so, and if that particular salesman is not willing to let you do that, grab another one. I did that once before and got rid of a salesman that I found particularly annoying. Didn't know answers to my questions and was basically bs'ing his knowledge of the car, and even gave incorrect info. Didn't want to let me get on the highway for the test drive, so we went back to the dealer, and I asked the manager for a new salesperson, and ended up buying the car from the new sales guy. I'm sure it really pissed off the first guy, but that's not my problem.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:35 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
I find a lot of dealers do that short drive initially. I think they do it to guage your level of interest in buying a car as much as anything.

I also find that many will, after this initial drive, be willing to let you take the car out longer if you are interested, but inquire about a longer drive. In most situations, I have been offered the car, by myself (no salesperson) anywhere from a few hours to taking it for a weekend.

I am sure it varies by dealer as well. I would never buy any car based on a short, around the block drive.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:36 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
First impressions are a big deal to dealership salesmen. If I drive up in a nice car, they bend over backwards to help, have no problems with an extended test drive or even letting me take the car for a few hours/days. If I drive up in a crappy car, the service I receive usually matches. Sometimes that's a good thing if I don't want to be hassled and just want to go look at different cars without anyone pestering me.

Either way, be up front about what you expect to accomplish during your visit. If you want an extended test drive, say so, and if that particular salesman is not willing to let you do that, grab another one. I did that once before and got rid of a salesman that I found particularly annoying. Didn't know answers to my questions and was basically bs'ing his knowledge of the car, and even gave incorrect info. Didn't want to let me get on the highway for the test drive, so we went back to the dealer, and I asked the manager for a new salesperson, and ended up buying the car from the new sales guy. I'm sure it really pissed off the first guy, but that's not my problem.

I learned a LOOOONNNGGGG time ago never judge a book by its cover. I usually rent the model vehicle I'm looking to get. But in some cases there is no rental available so I have spoken to the sales manager and told him I want to drive the vehicle for a extended period. Usually all it takes is my insurance card and copy of DL.
Dealers have a preset route they must take. Don't take it personally it's not up to them. I had one dealer hand me the keys to a 50k work truck and never batted a eye.

The car I want to buy I can get anywhere. There are too many dealers to buy from a bad one.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:40 AM

382 posts, read 804,378 times
They have a specific route they follow. They aren't rushing you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive